Trump: No Judges of Mexican Descent Allowed

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
You know how some Trump supporters have argued that the candidate's only problem is with Mexicans who are illegal immigrants...

Donald Trump escalated his attacks on the federal judge presiding over a civil fraud lawsuit against Trump University on Thursday, questioning his impartiality in handling the case because his Mexican heritage is "an inherent conflict of interest."

Less than six hours after securing the endorsement of House Speaker Paul Ryan, the presumptive Republican nominee said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had “an absolute conflict” due to his ethnic background, adding, “I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” according to a interview in The Wall Street Journal.

Curiel was born in East Chicago, Indiana, to Mexican parents. He spent years prosecuting drug traffickers coming across the U.S.-Mexico border as a top official in the Justice Department's South District of California, and was later appointed to the federal bench by President Barack Obama.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/donald-trump-judge-gonzalo-curiel-223849

In other words, the mere fact a judge has Mexican heritage is an inherent conflict of interest which should apparently bar any judge from being able to handle a court case involving Trump. Keep in mind we're talking about a judge who has been a U.S. citizen since he was born in the US in 1953.

By the standard Trump is apparently using and wanting to implement by the way, it would seem all someone needs to do to get a judge they don't like removed from a case the individual is involved with is publicly come out with a highly obnoxiously comments and proposals which happen to be directly at the judge's ethnic group (or a country his/her ancestors came from).

You might wonder though at the rate Trump has been going with some of his recent offensive comments what judges would end up being allowed to hear court cases Trump is involved with under his apparent proposed standard...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He's not even trying to hide the racism anymore, this is just a straight out racial appeal that says people of mexican descent can't adjudicate cases he is involved with.

It is pretty good timing though where just yesterday people on here were saying it was inappropriate to call Trump racist and then he comes out and does this.

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Greetings,

The only wall that Trump is building is the invisible one between him and the Mexican-Americans along with any respectable citizens of the electorate.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
A judge that then proved he was biased against trump by unsealing documents that make trump look bad....

And then a day later attempts to reseal them?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...y-lawsuit-records-seal-release-election-2016/

Maybe Trump is right and this judge is biased.

Well, then, there's a very easy avenue of recourse open to Trump instead of the public shit he's throwing at the judge. File to have the judge recused from the case. Trump has the legal standing necessary to do this.

BUT.....it'll require Trump to appear and lay out his rationale for having the judge removed.

BTW....don't try to imply that the judge is resealing ALL the docs he unsealed, as you are doing, because that's not the case. The word SOME, as pointed out in your linked article, is quite pertinent in this.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Greetings,

The only wall that Trump is building is the invisible one between him and the Mexican-Americans along with any respectable citizens of the electorate.

Lol.

Hopefully he'll find it very real when he smashes into it in Nov.

To OP: "apartheid liberal" is what a number of poly sci profs described him as.

He likes spending, big govt and social programs, but only for the right (white) people.

This is the big revelation that the GOP is learning. Their base doesn't really care that much for "conservative principals" when it gets down to it. Racial resentment is the driving issue.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A judge that then proved he was biased against trump by unsealing documents that make trump look bad....

And then a day later attempts to reseal them?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...y-lawsuit-records-seal-release-election-2016/

Maybe Trump is right and this judge is biased.

The "reseal" were redactions. Happens all the time with court documents.

Trump called the integrity of the court in question and insinuated "Mexicans" are unqualified to sit on the court. Judge can't get into a pissing contest with Drumpf so he proved him wrong.

Any other races we should call out as incompetent? I guess we need to the old South Africa model of white rule.

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Did he refuse to unseal documents that make trump look good in a fraud case?

Good morning Bryce,

Don't confuse the followers of the Donald with facts or logic, it only causes them to spout Trump's feeble (is there a word less credible?) excuses.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
In fact, I'd go further to suggest the judge has been very fair in Trump's treatment. The judge could have easily, and quite correctly, scheduled the trial on this, Trump U., prior to the general election, yet he didn't.

Just think of the fallout from a few weeks of Trump having to appear in court for a fraud trial just before the election. Just think about how much the Trump ball garglers (I'm sorry...."supporters") would have screamed about that.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
My bet is he is pre-planning his excuse in case he loses. The more I watch/hear Trump the more I think he is a lot more methodical with a lot more purpose behind what he says then what it sounds like.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
He's not even trying to hide the racism anymore, this is just a straight out racial appeal that says people of mexican descent can't adjudicate cases he is involved with.

It is pretty good timing though where just yesterday people on here were saying it was inappropriate to call Trump racist and then he comes out and does this.

Did you read the article?

The judge has seemed to be anti trump because of a lawyer group he is part of that is politically active. The Judge has also accidentally released court records he was not supposed to. Many of the documents released make Trump look bad.

The issue is not about race, but the fact that the Judge is part of a group that Trump is trying to link as being anti-Trump. The Judge being Mexican is an issue because Mexicans are generally pretty pissed at Trump for multiple reasons. So if a judge is part of a group that is very politically active and that group is anti-Trump, then it could be a valid issue.

Again, this is not racism. There is a reason the article broke up the two quotes about being Mexican, and then the wall being built.

The Mexican part was this.

What happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great. I think that’s fine

The quote about the wall came in Feb. They are trying to link the two quotes as if they are together.

This is the shit im talking about. Rather than push Trump to explain why he thinks the group the Judge is part of is biased, they claim racism. They link two quotes for different times to make it seem like he said, the judge hates me because he is Mexican.

Nov 30, 2006
This is the shit im talking about. Rather than push Trump to explain why he thinks the group the Judge is part of is biased, they claim racism. They link two quotes for different times to make it seem like he said, the judge hates me because he is Mexican.
When a political meme has legs within the liberal groupthink bubble, you can toss rationality and objectivity out the window. Everything he says will be twisted and rationalized as they see fit in order to reinforce their twisted world view which is starting to border on the edge of insanity imo.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When a political meme has legs within the liberal groupthink bubble, you can toss rationality and objectivity out the window. Everything he says will be twisted and rationalized as they see fit in order to reinforce their twisted world view which is starting to border on the edge of insanity imo.

That goes for the right too. Benghazi.

This is an issue of people being caught in a echo chamber of political group think. In researching this, I came across a bunch of sites on the right that were crazy. Reading the comments was even worse.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

You are projecting. For every irrational liberal meme that comes out there are literally hundreds of irrational conservative memes. Conservatives practically have a monopoly on poorly crafted political memes.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
The issue is not about race, but the fact that the Judge is part of a group that Trump is trying to link as being anti-Trump. The Judge being Mexican is an issue because Mexicans are generally pretty pissed at Trump for multiple reasons.

so you're saying it's about race.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I still find it amusing myself that if Trump were your average everyday person and posting the things he spews on this forum, he would probably be banned a lot.

That's not meant to be derisive at all about the forum, it is just an observation.

:)

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Did you read the article?

The judge has seemed to be anti trump because of a lawyer group he is part of that is politically active. The Judge has also accidentally released court records he was not supposed to. Many of the documents released make Trump look bad.

Did you read anything about this topic?

One of the original reasons Trump gave for the judge being biased was that he was part of a Hispanic legal organization, something that Trump's campaign has falsely accused of organizing protests against him. Additionally, the documents that were later brought back were simply not properly redacted to get rid of people's names, it was not that the documents themselves were inappropriate.

The issue is not about race, but the fact that the Judge is part of a group that Trump is trying to link as being anti-Trump. The Judge being Mexican is an issue because Mexicans are generally pretty pissed at Trump for multiple reasons. So if a judge is part of a group that is very politically active and that group is anti-Trump, then it could be a valid issue.

Trump decided that quite obviously because it has 'La Raza' in the name, not because of any of its activities. It's an organization that exists to get more people of Hispanic descent into legal jobs, that's it. Additionally, the judge being Mexican is not an issue in any way, shape, or form. By that logic a defendant could disqualify the judge presiding over his case at any time simply by insulting that judge's race. That does not meet the legal standard for conflict of interest, nor is it even on the same planet as meeting the standard.

This is the exact opposite of it not being about racism. Him bringing up the organization and saying the judge's heritage is an issue is just more racism.

Again, this is not racism. There is a reason the article broke up the two quotes about being Mexican, and then the wall being built.

The quote about the wall came in Feb. They are trying to link the two quotes as if they are together.

Actually they are referring to this, which happened yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-absolute-conflict-in-trump-university-cases/

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Trump said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had a conflict in the cases because the judge is “of Mexican heritage" and the mogul is espousing polarizing views on immigration.

“I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” Trump told the Journal, referencing his proposal to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border that his supporters have cheered but opponents have sharply criticized.

Presumably now that you have more information you will agree that when someone says someone's Mexican ancestry makes an inherent conflict of interest that they are saying something insanely, insanely racist. Right?

This is exactly the shit I was talking about, you don't actually know what you're talking about but you immediately decided that the issue wasn't racism despite clear evidence to the contrary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Interesting, so now that it turns out that the liberals were totally right on this one who do you think actually twisted and rationalized the facts in order to reinforce a twisted world view?

Looks like you might be bordering on insanity, no? haha.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
So the OP lied, Trump didn't say what the title says?

Greetings,

Are they all "Mexican-Americans" if some are here illegally? I'd say no.

Nov 30, 2006
That goes for the right too. Benghazi.

This is an issue of people being caught in a echo chamber of political group think. In researching this, I came across a bunch of sites on the right that were crazy. Reading the comments was even worse.
I agree...tons of crazy people on the right as well. I personally believe that extreme ideology fosters insanity and we've got some doozies here on both sides of the aisle.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So the OP lied, Trump didn't say what the title says?

Are they all "Mexican-Americans" if some are here illegally? I'd say no.

Actually the OP was spot on. Trump said that any judge of Mexican descent has an inherent conflict of interest in any case Trump is involved in, which means they should recuse themselves or be removed. It's exactly 'no Mexican judges allowed'.

Some other people thought the OP was referring to different statements Trump had made in the past but they were wrong. This thread is about the comments made yesterday.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000

He absolutely mentioned he was Mexican in not a "thats great", but an "Obviously he is biased because what I have said about Mexicans." Its common Trump double speak when he says "I am not going to mention it/I am not going to talk about it" and then spends 10 minutes talking about it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He absolutely mentioned he was Mexican in not a "thats great", but an "Obviously he is biased because what I have said about Mexicans." Its common Trump double speak when he says "I am not going to mention it/I am not going to talk about it" and then spends 10 minutes talking about it.

Realibrad seems confused by the article where he thought that the two quotes about the judge's ethnicity being an issue and about him building the wall came from two dramatically separate times and might have been taken out of context. In reality they came from the same interview.

It was funny to see DSF uncritically accept whatever told him what he wanted to hear again though, especially because he then accused other people of doing exactly what he just did.