Trump mounts a brilliant new impeachment defense

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Whoa, hold your draft articles up, major new evidence that PROVES Trump’s innocence in the entire Ukraine affair!

You see, when Trump said “do us a favor, though” he really said “do US a favor”...as in United States! Just read the transcript!!! That totally proves he wasn’t seeking any personal gain, ergo no bribery or misuse of office so we can’t impeach! Show’s over folks, let’s pack it up and go home!

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Tweeted:
When I said, in my phone call to the President of Ukraine, “I would like you to do US a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it.” With the word “us” I am referring to the United States, our Country. I then went on to say that......

• Haha
Reactions: sandorski

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, he just dropped the definite article "the" that everyone else in the history of America has used when referring to "U.S." LOL took him almost two months to think of that one? Why didn't he just say that straight off? We could have avoided all this impeachment nonsense!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, most people commonly say 'us' rather than 'U S' when referencing the United States, even if the 'The' is dropped. Totes makes sense, definitely not another lie attempting to exonerate himself.

Btw, given that we know it's a lie, is this now proof that he understands that what he did was illegal? If he doesn't, why is he trying to cover it up by changing the story?

Reactions: dawp and Muse

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
See, we just aren't as smart as the excellent grammarian Trump, in that over a phone conversation, "us" is obviously implied a capitalized "US" and also, "us" is exactly how people pronounce U.S.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
How many times can you go full retard and still bounce back?

I mean that *is* full retard level material.

Reactions: Muse
Jan 25, 2011
You guys are misreading his meaning here. He isn't saying "US" as in United states, he means "us" as in the country.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You guys are misreading his meaning here. He isn't saying "US" as in United states, he means "us" as in the country.

Fair enough, but what has our country "been through" that he's referring to? What domestic problem was he asking Zelensky to solve? This is Trump conflating his own political ambitions with the national interest. They aren't the same thing.

Reactions: Muse
Jan 25, 2011
Fair enough, but what has our country "been through" that he's referring to? What domestic problem was he asking Zelensky to solve? This is Trump conflating his own political ambitions with the national interest. They aren't the same thing.
In Trumps mind his interests ARE the country's interests. No matter what they may be and who will benefit from them. Everything that benefits him is to the benefit of the entire country in his diluted mind.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
In Trumps mind his interests ARE the country's interests. No matter what they may be and who will benefit from them. Everything that benefits him is to the benefit of the entire country in his diluted mind.

Right now I'm really not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

While a rambling moron, I do think he actually can discern. He just doesn't give a shit. Trump operates under one singular directive. "Will this benefit me?" If yes, then proceed. He couldn't give one greasy orange shit about the result to this country.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"us" was always in play as a sub or superset, changes nothing in the scheme of things IMO .. It has to be a play on "U.S.".

Jan 25, 2011
Right now I'm really not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

While a rambling moron, I do think he actually can discern. He just doesn't give a shit. Trump operates under one singular directive. "Will this benefit me?" If yes, then proceed. He couldn't give one greasy orange shit about the result to this country.

Essentially what I mean. He has convinced himself that everything he thinks is great and what everyone else wants. If it helps him win the election that's the best thing for the country because he thinks HE is the best thing for the country.

“Help us Obi Wan Zelensky, you’re our ONLY hope!”

I’m assuming Trump is Princess Leia and Giuliani is R2D2 in this scenario, correct??
I'd put him as the sarlacc if that's the movie comparison we want to make!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yeah maybe, or maybe by "us" and he just meant him and his political allies, i.e. his administration, just like everyone has always assumed.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Trump is a diseased realization of a figment in Ayn Rand's imagination. He's a thousand times worse than she would've imagined, even as she concocted fantasy characters to glorify greed and self-interest.

"U.S."? "Us"? We the administration? Or Me -- the King?

It is not only worth noting that Trump is running backward trying to cover over the meaning of his words by re-interpreting them.

This scrutiny of his sentence only reached a new level when, yesterday December 4, 2019, Professor Pamela Karlan analyzed his use of the word "Us" in the House Judiciary Committee hearings, suggesting this was a usage by monarchs when the Divine Right of Kings prevailed as a legitimate explanation of royal authority. And Karlan's mention of it was the first time it ever occurred: prior analyses focused on the use of the word "though".

Trump cannot even be original. He must grab legitimate arguments directed against him and frantically turn them into something else, further confusing Chuckleheads and his own Base. Oh-- the Base is not confused according to either Trump or those more outspoken among them! How can they be confused? Everything Trump says is gospel! There is no Truth but Trump, and in the words of Giuliani, "Truth is not Truth".

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah maybe, or maybe by "us" and he just meant him and his political allies, i.e. his administration, just like everyone has always assumed.
And just to be clear I don't think he meant anything but him in the call. I'm just saying the excuse he is making now is not literally the U.S. in the verbiage.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He didn't even think of it on his own, some repub rep said it yesterday during the hearing. I just can't remember which weasel it was.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As far as I'm concerned whenever Trump declares the word "us" it's actually used in a non-inclusive way and it's simply all about "him", just as he uses the word "people" as in "the people of the nation are under attack by my enemies". Well, he's clearly referring to himself due to the fact that 99.999% of the time those accusations he is hitting back on are directed at him personally and not at his "people".

Also, I often find him manipulatively exploiting the terms "we" and "our" the same way. He will also use "my people" as if we're all in support of him when everyone with any common sense understands he is only referring to his base.

The kicker though is when he utters the phrase "my generals" as if our military leadership are in total agreement with him and his knee jerk decision making habit that usually negatively affects the morale and welfare of those folks serving in our branches of military service.

Feb 4, 2009
The hell they don't

Look at this thread it is deplorable free.
True test will be Saturday morning going to breakfast with some dude. Guaranteed 1 to 3 deplorable’s will be present.
However at least one deplorable has written off on this President.