Trump mistakenly says Alabama in path of hurricane. Uses sharpie on NOAA map in effort to not admit he was wrong. (not Onion)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This may have been posted about earlier, but Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross evidently threatened to fire NOAA employees if they refused to disavow the tweet that contradicted Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/climate/hurricane-dorian-trump-tweet.html

I tend to agree with Starbuck that perhaps this incident received more coverage than necessary, but then again, it seems to have several facets to it. This latest will only keep it going.

It's science, people! Oy vey... NOAA's arc continues..."BLACK LINES MATTER".

• Haha
Reactions: Bitek

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
NOAA Chief Scientist has opened up with both barrels on the corruption of NOAA’s mission by Trump political appointees.

As I'm sure you also know, there was a complex issue involving the President commenting on the path of the hurricane. The NWS Forecaster(s) corrected any public misunderstanding in an expert and timely way, as they should. There followed, last Friday, an unsigned press release from "NOAA" that inappropriately and incorrectly contradicted the NWS forecaster. My understanding is that this intervention to contradict the forecaster was not based on science but on external factors including reputation and appearance, or simply put, political. Our NOAA Scientific Integrity Policy and Code of Scientific Conduct make clear that all NOAA employees shall approach all scientific activities with honesty, objectively, and completely, without allegiance to individuals, organizations, or ideology. The content of this press release is very concerning as it compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information necessary to avoid substantial and specific danger to public health and safety. If the public cannot trust our information, or we debase our forecaster's warnings and products, that specific danger arises.

Good to see we still have some decent people left in the government.

Feb 4, 2009
NOAA Chief Scientist has opened up with both barrels on the corruption of NOAA’s mission by Trump political appointees.

Someone’s going to be announcing an early retirement soon...
Seriously good for him, concise and clears the matter up without anyone having to guess.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I sincerely hope all of you realize this is a deliberate distraction from more serious international and domestic issues.
The fat orange wise and beautiful woman has done this literally hundreds of times and it always works.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I sincerely hope all of you realize this is a deliberate distraction from more serious international and domestic issues.
The fat orange wise and beautiful woman has done this literally hundreds of times and it always works.

I’ve heard this many times and never once seen a shred of evidence that it’s true.

There isn’t any particularly bad news he needs to distract from at the moment anyway so even if that is his plan he’s unloading clip after clip into his own feet.

Reactions: Bitek

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

I wonder if the orange dumbass is going to take this as another personal affront, and twitter rage to this NOAA scientist head and for wilbur to fire him for insubordination

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

trump isnt smart. there is no misdirection, only stupidity.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There ain't much bigger than a Cat 5 hurricane.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I’ve heard this many times and never once seen a shred of evidence that it’s true.

There isn’t any particularly bad news he needs to distract from at the moment anyway so even if that is his plan he’s unloading clip after clip into his own feet.
Trump’s entire argument since day one is that there is a deep state conspiracy aligned against him, working in collusion with the media. Sharpiegate feeds that narrative, and provides yet another front that the Democrats have to defend yet the public doesn’t have the attention to understand. The general public doesn’t understand the NOAA or the function it serves. All they see is a lot of fuss over a doodle on a map.

Trump is not going to expand his coalition. He needs to hold onto the support he has while exploiting the Democrat wedge between the centrist and progressive wings of their party. That is why he always places the Squad front and center.

I strongly believe this is what Trump is doing. I started to question that belief...until I turned on the news last night and saw the North Carolina special election results.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Distractions work better when it's not your own head you are setting on fire.

The Dotard has rode this tactic to a 36% approval rating while unemployment is 3.7%.

If this is success, I'd hate to see failure.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Trump’s entire argument since day one is that there is a deep state conspiracy aligned against him, working in collusion with the media. Sharpiegate feeds that narrative, and provides yet another front that the Democrats have to defend yet the public doesn’t have the attention to understand. The general public doesn’t understand the NOAA or the function it serves. All they see is a lot of fuss over a doodle on a map.

Trump is not going to expand his coalition. He needs to hold onto the support he has while exploiting the Democrat wedge between the centrist and progressive wings of their party. That is why he always places the Squad front and center.

I strongly believe this is what Trump is doing. I started to question that belief...until I turned on the news last night and saw the North Carolina special election results.

You speak like CNN is the propaganda arm of the Democrats. I don't see anywhere that indicates the Democrats have to defend another "front" over Trumps thin skin. I dunno what you're smoking, but damn dude.

Willful ignorance is another matter. While you seem to generally think the "public" is a bunch of imbeciles, I don't really agree. Most people have access to the internet, and can readily find information regarding the NOAA's function. You don't need to be a scientist to know what they do. Willful ignorance comes in when people choose not to see what the "fuss over a doodle on a map" really is. That's a choice. It's not some super complex equation they teach at those libtard cuck higher education facilities.

I do agree that Trump is clutching his core supporters in the way you say, and trying to split up the Democrats. That's not really all that difficult to ascertain, it's a pretty common play for a person trying to hold onto power.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

You were surprised by the results of the special election? Why?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I seem to recall you characterized it that way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

There is absolutely no indication that his fight over map squiggles has to do with reenforcing any such narrative.

The most likely answer is the most obvious one, that he is mentally ill and unable to take narcissistic injury of admitting he’s wrong. He’s been like that for literally his entire life.

As basically every person who has ever worked for him in government has said he has no strategy, he’s impulsively flailing about trying to protect his fragile ego.

Wait are you still trying to argue a 9 point democratic shift is anything but an utter catastrophe for Trump? This is utterly baffling.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Imagine if someone looked at an election result in Long Beach, CA where a Democrat won by only 2 points and said ‘man this means the Democratic strategy is really working!’

Hahaha.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Imagine if someone looked at an election result in Long Beach, CA where a Democrat won by only 2 points and said ‘man this means the Democratic strategy is really working!’

Hahaha.
Well if the Democrat leadership of Long Beach was facing over two years of negative press over incompetence, corruption and insanity...and still managed to win, it would certainly indicate something. Isn’t that the case in Long Beach anyway?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well if the Democrat leadership of Long Beach was facing over two years of negative press over incompetence, corruption and insanity...and still managed to win, it would certainly indicate something.

Yes, if they won by two points it would indicate that negative perception was causing major electoral problems for Democrats. Glad we agree, haha.

Isn’t that the case in Long Beach anyway?

If it is the case that’s even worse for republicans as the democratic candidate won there in 2018 by 30 points. This would imply the national environment is even worse for Republicans than I’ve been saying.

Reactions: zzyzxroad

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
]
Yes, if they won by two points it would indicate that negative perception was causing major electoral problems for Democrats. Glad we agree, haha.

If it is the case that’s even worse for republicans as the democratic candidate won there in 2018 by 30 points. This would imply the national environment is even worse for Republicans than I’ve been saying.

Good point.

I wonder why he didn't reply. Hopefully he is ok.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I wonder if Trump will provide "guidance" on Erin? :p Any bets that Idaho will receive a sharpie hurricane warning? o_O

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The most likely answer is the most obvious one, that he is mentally ill and unable to take narcissistic injury of admitting he’s wrong. He’s been like that for literally his entire life.

As basically every person who has ever worked for him in government has said he has no strategy, he’s impulsively flailing about trying to protect his fragile ego.

I agree. Additionally, I would add, one of the big problems with self loathing is that the more of it there is the more it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. His fear he's worthless has made him that way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Everybody knows it's crazy for the President to argue with the NWS. But he's doing it anyway, apparently in a move to establish that he can lie to his base with utter impunity & crack the whip to get sycophants & even honest people to lie to cover him. It's just another way he creates a breach with reality. There will always be some fools who believe he might have been right about it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

The national environment wasn’t great for Republicans when they took back Congress and it wasn’t great for Republicans when Trump won.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Everybody knows it's crazy for the President to argue with the NWS. But he's doing it anyway, apparently in a move to establish that he can lie to his base with utter impunity & crack the whip to get sycophants & even honest people to lie to cover him. It's just another way he creates a breach with reality. There will always be some fools who believe he might have been right about it.
What does that gain him?