Trump mistakenly says Alabama in path of hurricane. Uses sharpie on NOAA map in effort to not admit he was wrong. (not Onion)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
The funny thing is all Trump had to do is say "oops, I misread probability of tropical storm for likelyhood of hurricane." No one would have thought less of him. But his narcissist mind can't accept that he isn't perfect even in an insignificant way.

Didn't even have to do that he could have:
a) Said its confusing having dozens of people ask you questions
b) Said nothing after making the mistake.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This may have been posted about earlier, but Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross evidently threatened to fire NOAA employees if they refused to disavow the tweet that contradicted Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/climate/hurricane-dorian-trump-tweet.html

I tend to agree with Starbuck that perhaps this incident received more coverage than necessary, but then again, it seems to have several facets to it. This latest will only keep it going.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This may have been posted about earlier, but Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross evidently threatened to fire NOAA employees if they refused to disavow the tweet that contradicted Trump.

I tend to agree with Starbuck that perhaps this incident received more coverage than necessary, but then again, it seems to have several facets to it. This latest will only keep it going.

Had King Donnie the Dotard simply said, "Oops, my bad. Looks like the hurricane is NOT predicted to impact Alabama," then, yes...this would be too much attention, but him using an obviously faked map to back up his false claim, and NOAA faking reports, then Willlll-bur threatening NOAA and NWS scientists for failing to back up the lie...then, IMO, not enough attention is being paid to this.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Had King Donnie the Dotard simply said, "Oops, my bad. Looks like the hurricane is NOT predicted to impact Alabama," then, yes...this would be too much attention, but him using an obviously faked map to back up his false claim, and NOAA faking reports, then Willlll-bur threatening NOAA and NWS scientists for failing to back up the lie...then, IMO, not enough attention is being paid to this.
Agreed. If true, this is clearly impeachment territory. It's extremely troubling.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The point is that only an insane narcissist would go to the lengths we see here to defend an erroneous assertion. Only a sycophant like Ross would threaten a non-political govt agency if they won't lie for Trump. And only a shill like yourself would try to play it off as something else.
Agreed on the first two points. You expressed similar sentiments that this is another Trump distraction maneuver. Guess that makes you a shill too.
SlowBuck, I think you should band together with the few other people who share your opinion and really take it to CNN. You could flood them with like a half dozen complaint letters. Take action Pal!
Nah, all I have to do is change the channel. I assume you’ve written your Congress person and Senators to let them know how triggered you are by Sharpiegate? Take action hero!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

White House fires NOAA employees for telling the truth and we shouldn't talk about this?

Are you shitting me? More normalizing crazy. This is operating like DPRK

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I think had any other president done the same thing it would have been a far larger event. As Homer said we can’t allow ourselves to normalize this aberrant behavior.

The president and his administration are doctoring weather reports and ordering federal officials to lie about potentially lethal weather events in order to make him look good. That’s super dangerous.

And the danger doesn’t stop there. What’s to stop him from doing the exact same thing to other federal agencies? What if we are in a recession next summer/fall? Will the appropriate agencies be allowed to report this or will they be forced to similarly falsify their results in order to help his election? I certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
haha, no, he's just a conservative left out in the cold after his party went all in on the crazy train. So he's left with pestering libtard cucks cuz reasons.
Wrong on all counts, save one. Grew up in a strong Democrat union household. Came of age in the military, first under Clinton, then under Bush, with the war on terror resulting in my losing interest in either party. Don’t mind liberals, I’m actually quite interested in what Sanders and Warren have to say, but these forums seem to attract a special easily triggered flavor of them. I suppose cuck is as good a descriptor for them as any.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Wrong on all counts, save one. Grew up in a strong Democrat union household. Came of age in the military, first under Clinton, then under Bush, with the war on terror resulting in my losing interest in either party. Don’t mind liberals, I’m actually quite interested in what Sanders and Warren have to say, but these forums seem to attract a special easily triggered flavor of them. I suppose cuck is as good a descriptor for them as any.

Sure bucky, totally believable.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Agreed. If true, this is clearly impeachment territory. It's extremely troubling.

What is this now, reason 312 for impeachment? I've honestly lost count.
But as others are saying, this is super dangerous. If this administration is willing to go this far to cover a stupid mistake that everyone would have forgiven with a chuckle how far are they going to cover up real important things? Just think about that.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
This is all just a distraction to deflect from all of his massive achievements. DJT is a humble civil servant with a strong faith in God that doesn't allow him to brag about himself.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Remember when the right was screaming King Obama..

Yea

Exactly. This is just another example of Trump's chronic habit of behaving like the boorish dictator he is and wants to turn our gov't into simply because he does not have what it takes to be a real leader with the ability to build credibility, consensus and trust within his administration.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But as others are saying, this is super dangerous. If this administration is willing to go this far to cover a stupid mistake that everyone would have forgiven with a chuckle how far are they going to cover up real important things? Just think about that.

It does seem kind of pointless to talk about things like this as impeachment territory, yes, haha. I mean we already have eyewitness testimony to Trump attempting to fire the special counsel in order to end a criminal investigation into himself and his associates and their coordination with a hostile foreign power.

So while yes, this should be conduct Trump is removed from office for, it's only like the 10th worst thing he's done that he should be removed from office for.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Totally agree. This whole thing seems nixonian in its own way. Something small that spirals out of control.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
it's only like the 10th worst thing he's done that he should be removed from office for.

This week. We're all frogs calmly sitting in a pot at a rolling boil.

School kids in 2040 will read about 2016-2020 and wonder wtf was going through our heads.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Agreed on the first two points. You expressed similar sentiments that this is another Trump distraction maneuver. Guess that makes you a shill too.
Nah, all I have to do is change the channel. I assume you’ve written your Congress person and Senators to let them know how triggered you are by Sharpiegate? Take action hero!

SlowBuck, Thought I made it clear I've been trolling you in this post so not sure how you came to the conclusion I'm triggered. Good try though . Keep on trolling Ace.