Trump may veto Hong Kong human rights bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If China sees HK and Taiwan as the same (part of China), why on earth would they stop at HK? Remember that this country is actively committing atrocities within their own country. They likely regard any resistant Taiwanese the same way they do the Uighurs.

Taiwan is armed to the teeth with both domestically developed weapons and modern US made systems. Also they are an island nation. China would have to basically destroy it to take over and flipping the coin on if the US would sit it out is way too risky.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Taiwan is armed to the teeth with both domestically developed weapons and modern US made systems. Also they are an island nation. China would have to basically destroy it to take over and flipping the coin on if the US would sit it out is way too risky.
You're more confident than I am regarding that, but of course we won't know what the future holds until it happens. All the same, I still think Trump will veto this, if only because he always seems to buddy-up next to the worst leaders on the planet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If China sees HK and Taiwan as the same (part of China), why on earth would they stop at HK? Remember that this country is actively committing atrocities within their own country. They likely regard any resistant Taiwanese the same way they do the Uighurs.

Because they are very aware that the rest of the world does not see HK and Taiwan in the same way.

Also Taiwan is heavily armed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Although all that being said if China really did want to take Taiwan by force the Trump presidency is probably the best time to do it. You know Taiwan is sweating the US security guarantee right now and China can afford to bribe Trump way more than Taiwan can.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Nov 25, 2013
They might, recognition from the US that they're in the right over HK is exactly the kind of thing China would be willing to go back to near-status-quo with the US on the trade front for. They've been itching to consolidate HK and Taiwan into CN proper for decades.

Hong Kong was *always* going to be consolidated with the mainland. It's part of the damned agreement with the Brits. 2047 is the end date.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Are we taking bets?

99.99% Trump will veto this one ... or just ignore it.

He ignores it, it becomes law in 10 days.

He vetoes it, the House and Senate have WAY more than enough votes to override his veto.

This will almost absolutely become law weather he wants it or not. He should just shut his yap and sign it to save face.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Every time Trump does something stupid like vetoing this unanimously passed bill I think to myself its because there's something in it for him personally and then it all makes sense.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, it's funny how FOX NEWS was covering this so intensely as if they even really cared, all the while over here in America we have something happening more worthy of serious attention i.e. the impeachment and ongoing corruption of Donald Trump yet.... Fox News hardly addresses THAT at all but only to spin what Trump tells them to spin.
Hey Fox... the country is falling apart OVER HERE, Vladimir Putin is destroying democracy OVER HERE using Donald Trump, so maybe THAT is worth your serious attention? Just maybe? Ya think?

Dec 10, 2005
I think .....

The US Congress should be focusing on ... oh, I don't know, ... maybe ... the US?
Congress, as a coequal branch of government has every right to help set the tone of our foreign policy.

I'm sure a MYOB policy would be quite beneficial to some foreign governments, especially ones that want to brutally repress people within their own borders. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those regimes set up their own Russian-style troll farms to help sway public opinion in other countries.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
The Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act passed the House with one dissenting vote. Passed the Senate unanimously. Trump may veto, he says. He doesn't want to make his "friend" Xi mad. And he's worried it will screw up his perfect trade deal.

Trump doesn't believe in anything except money. Et cetera.

I hope he vetos and they override it.
Yep, override it.
Send those mothereffers a message, as well as to the traitorous orange pus bag.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hong Kong was *always* going to be consolidated with the mainland. It's part of the damned agreement with the Brits. 2047 is the end date.

This is the truth.
It seems that nobody remembers what the agreement was. Hong Kong is part of China. They are having an internal problem. None of our business.

Nov 25, 2013
This is the truth.
It seems that nobody remembers what the agreement was. Hong Kong is part of China. They are having an internal problem. None of our business.

Bullshit but nice to see you so willing to abandon a bunch of folks fighting for their freedom. You remember the concept of freedom? Kinda what the US used to stand for, at least in theory. Thankfully, for folks like yourself, things like that no longer seems to matter. You can worry about important stuff like protecting the god emperor.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Bullshit but nice to see you so willing to abandon a bunch of folks fighting for their freedom. You remember the concept of freedom? Kinda what the US used to stand for, at least in theory. Thankfully, for folks like yourself, things like that no longer seems to matter. You can worry about important stuff like protecting the god emperor.

I'm not abandoning anyone. They are not mine to abandon.

It would appear that they were abandoned By the UK and Northern Ireland who made the original deal with China.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Are you ready to go to war with China?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that the RWNJs were complaining that the NBA (and therefore liberals somehow) were indifferent to Hong Kong and kowtowing to China?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
I'm not abandoning anyone. They are not mine to abandon.

It would appear that they were abandoned By the UK and Northern Ireland who made the original deal with China.

I get it. You don't give a shit about a bunch of foreigners. Fuck 'em.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I get it. You don't give a shit about a bunch of foreigners. Fuck 'em.

Obviously you don't "get it".

It was an agreement with UK, Northern Ireland and China. Not ours to police. Anyone with a couple of brain cells could have seen this coming years ago.

Hong Kong belongs to China as per the agreement.

The UK seems to be awful quiet about it...

Nov 25, 2013
Obviously you don't "get it".

It was an agreement with UK, Northern Ireland and China. Not ours to police. Anyone with a couple of brain cells could have seen this coming years ago.

Hong Kong belongs to China as per the agreement.

The UK seems to be awful quiet about it...

I repeat: I get it. You don't give a shit about a bunch of foreigners. Fuck 'em.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Money talks, bullshit walks, until America and the rest of the west is ready to divest and boycott China like they did South Africa over human rights issues and abuses these bills are nothing more than virtue signaling pats on the back, If Trump veto's or not is irrelevant except to give Democrats Political ammunition while they benefit from cheap China goods like the republicans.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Money talks, bullshit walks, until America and the rest of the west is ready to divest and boycott China like they did South Africa over human rights issues and abuses these bills are nothing more than virtue signaling pats on the back, If Trump veto's or not is irrelevant except to give Democrats Political ammunition while they benefit from cheap China goods like the republicans.

Who pulled out of TPP?