Trump just ordered the gassing and shooting of peaceful protestors in Washington DC just so he could have an effing photo op in front of church

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
and this is why i donate to ACLU!
(in addition to them taking up some really important privacy cases)
Another entity I have to give money to this year, along with opponents of Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins and the DNC for local races. Joe will get enough

Reactions: JEDIYoda

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Evidently, the Trump admin had attempted to explain this by claiming that there was a pre-existing decision to expand the security perimeter around the area, and that this clearing of protesters had nothing to do with Trump's publicity stunt. They lied.

The decision was made immediately after Trump decided to do the Bible stunt.

Also, they seem have violated both the First Amendment and a 2015 settlement between park police and DoJ setting rules and limits on how protesters can be handled.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Evidently, the Trump admin had attempted to explain this by claiming that there was a pre-existing decision to expand the security perimeter around the area, and that this clearing of protesters had nothing to do with Trump's publicity stunt. They lied.

The decision was made immediately after Trump decided to do the Bible stunt.

Also, they seem have violated both the First Amendment and a 2015 settlement between park police and DoJ setting rules and limits on how protesters can be handled.

All that for a picture that shows how insane you are.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
All that for a picture that shows how insane you are.

It was Trump appealing to his religious base. One wonders how many more votes he thinks he can get by pandering to that same base. Apparently, the light bulb has never gone on that he might try actually broadening his appeal.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It was Trump appealing to his religious base. One wonders how many more votes he thinks he can get by pandering to that same base. Apparently, the light bulb has never gone on that he might try actually broadening his appeal.
His thinking is that he won once following this pattern and he thinks with his once great economy he'll get even more...his base has never left his side.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
His thinking is that he won once following this pattern and he thinks with his once great economy he'll get even more...his base has never left his side.

That would be an approximation of his "thinking" to the extent he is "thinking" at all. I view it more as his instinct as a narcissist. This instinct causes him to want to appease people who like him, and denigrate those who do not. The rationale you describe is more of a rationalization of his acting on pure emotion.

And a poor rationalization at that. Trump doesn't seem to realize it, but he would likely have lost that election had it been held two weeks before or two weeks after. Trump is vulnerable with these polling numbers right now, and it seems Biden's lead has widened after he tried this approach to the protests. But he'll never learn the lesson because, again, he always leans into his instincts as a narcissist.

Reactions: pmv and TeeJay1952
Feb 4, 2009
Hello this from the article linked:

But it does not explore why so many officers used as much force as they did against peaceful protesters in the area that day -- or dig deeper into the actions of the Secret Service and other federal entities on the ground.

Regarding claims of violent tactics used against protestors, the report said only that "individual uses of force" by Park Police officers "are the subject of separate inquiries or ongoing lawsuits."

Given the narrow focus of its report on whether the U.S. Park Police exceeded its authority on June 1, the inspector general did not seek interviews with other key agencies and senior Trump administration officials, including leaders of the Secret Service, White House aides, or Attorney General Bill Barr.

Reactions: Zorba

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Refresh my memory:

Did Nixon clear out protestors so he could take a stroll?

Not exactly, but I vaguely remember reading about the 'hard hats riot'. Not my history, so I wasn't really paying attention, so maybe others here are far more familiar with it than I am, but googling it seems to suggest that Nixon wasn't exactly an uninvolved party.

The Nixon administration likewise framed the counter-protest as a genuine, and organic, expression of support for the war. But in reality, the administration, in concert with New York labor leaders, had helped coordinate the counterprotest and several more that would take place throughout May. Both the president’s advisors and many labor leaders saw promise in putting forth the traditionally Democrat-aligned labor unions as a counteracting force to the rapidly growing number of anti-war protesters.

Several days before the eruption of violence in New York, Nixon’s chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman suggested to the president that construction workers, or ‘hard hats,’ be used to create conflict. Local shop stewards, according to sources who spoke out years later, specifically encouraged workers to counter-protest the May 8 demonstration, in some cases even offering them cash bonuses to do so.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So now we know you cant read..hahaha....good job being a fucking puppet!

lolwut? Just posting news as of today about this incident. Ive never made assertions one way or another. You look like a fool painting people into a corner of your choosing...especially when its false.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
lolwut? Just posting news as of today about this incident. Ive never made assertions one way or another. You look like a fool painting people into a corner of your choosing...especially when its false.
Who me?