Trump is the worst president in history

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
well, so did Clinton, but he had almost a completely opposite view of the world from Reagan.

Makes you wonder.
Reagan emerged from a make believe world, i.e. Hollywood. IIRC he headed up the screen actor's guild, or was it the Academy, I can't remember. He was used to living in alternate realities. I loathed the man when he became governor of California. His politics were disgusting.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
For modern presidencies? Sure.

All time worst seems like a three way tie between Trump, Jackson, and Buchanan.
For modern presidents Nixon deserves his due credit on kicking off the war on drugs. If anything Regan simply picked up Dick's racist baton.

1610148502954.png

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
He was doing pretty well until 2020 in terms of not starting any disastrous wars based on lies and thus being better than W. Then we got COVID and this, and I think he qualifies as worst at this point.
Yeah well except that whole War On America but other than that he was a swell guy.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
He's not worse than GWB in my book. Simply because of the death count. It's the one surprise the Trump administration has given me, that he hasn't started a war. But in the end, a war would be all about him and how it benefits him, and I guess he never saw the money in it.

GWB caused somewhere near a million people to die, for a bald-faced series of lies a child could see through. I don't give a shit which puppetmaster had him dancing (Cheney)--the buck stops at him. I have no idea why he is not considered in the same breath as mass-murdering dictators of history. We'll all be dealing with the aftermath for generations (starting with Isis, but not ending with it.) Fuck everyone (including cowardly Democrats like Hillary) that supported that sorry invasion.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
First president in American history to be permabanned from Twitter. That should give him the tiebreaker in any subjective evaluation.

• Haha
Reactions: pmv

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think any president that actively harms or is a direct threat to our democracy, then they are typically ranked low. Alternatively, presidents who protected or strengthened our democracy are typically ranked high. Those that are ranked on their enacted policies tend to move up and down the ranks as public sentiment changes and as the impact of their policies becomes clearer or more vague. When it comes to crisis that happen on a presidents watch they tend to help or hurt a presidents ranking depending on the severity of the crisis and they tend to have a lasting impact on how they are viewed. I think personality wise, presidents tend to gain favorability over time or at the very least their personality deficits become non factors.

The fact that not only was our capital breached but it was also done so under trumps watch and under his influence is a huge pock on trumps legacy and will most likely cement him as one of the worst presidents of all time.

His lack of enacted policies and as a consequence the lack of action to address the issues of the time will also be another mark against him that will affect current rankings and in the mid future (next several decades) will negatively impact his ratings as well but over time it probably won't be a factor (assuming the issues do get addressed).

The other big negative that will dog trump forever is his handling of the pandemic and his complete incompetence. That will be a stain that will not fade.

Trump will forever be known as the president who needlessly let Americans die and who almost killed our democracy all because of his narcissism.

My knowledge of past presidents isn't strong enough to know if trump is the worst but based on what I do know, he certainly belongs at the bottom.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah well except that whole War On America but other than that he was a swell guy.
I didn't say he wasn't one of the worst, but he wasn't THE worst in my book until COVID hit, simply because he hadn't started any wars or had major crises that he botched handling till then.