Trump is suing to keep white house records secret under executive privilege

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Apparently unaware he is not the president any more. Obviously he's hiding something, but what....

I won't post a link. They all have paywalls or bullshit popups or ad blocker blockers.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Kind of funny that the expansive view of Presidential power held by the GOP during Trump's term in office doesn't include the next President airing Trump's dirty laundry.

Reactions: hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Kind of funny that the expansive view of Presidential power held by the GOP during Trump's term in office doesn't include the next President airing Trump's dirty laundry.
the fat orange rapist spent 5 solid years getting attention and I think the current admin just wants to avoid talking about him entirely. to the point they may ignore potential criminal activity.
It helps he was banned from facebook and twitter. and since he's not the president most TV outlets dont give him attention either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well to be fair they always meant expansive Republican presidential power. Apparently it’s so expansive that they even get to control what the executive does after they no longer run it!

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
The sitting president has the power to classify or declassify anything. This lawsuit should be thrown out prior to trial.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wish SCOTUS would claim original jurisdiction for things like this. It's obvious Trump sues and appeals no matter what the straw is to grasp at with aim of causing delay, and it's not like executive privilege and its boundaries are well-defined. No matter how ridiculous Trump's request, any decision is going to create significant ramifications for future challenges based on executive privilege. The cases need to be heard expeditiously at the highest level

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I wish SCOTUS would claim original jurisdiction for things like this. It's obvious Trump sues and appeals no matter what the straw is to grasp at with aim of causing delay, and it's not like executive privilege and its boundaries are well-defined. No matter how ridiculous Trump's request, any decision is going to create significant ramifications for future challenges based on executive privilege. The cases need to be heard expeditiously at the highest level

It's a 100% delay tactic on the part of Trump, to run out the clock to January 2023 so that a new repug majority in the House can end the investigation. Will only work if a judge grants interim injunctive relief, i.e. the committee is ordered not to review the records until a final decision is made.

Reactions: soundforbjt

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
So will federal agents be hauling him in soon enough?
Todays vote was the committee vote. The full House votes next...i think its scheduled for next Tuesday..not 100% sure. Then it is up to the DOJ to move on it. In theory there will be an indictment brought against Bannon but it won't be for a few weeks I think.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well, let’s see if trump can delay till next November.
Even if Republicans win the vote in Nov, Biden can appoint a special prosecutor that the Republicans won't be able to touch after Jan. That person will have the authority to complete the investigation

That's why John Durham is still working

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's a 100% delay tactic on the part of Trump, to run out the clock to January 2023 so that a new repug majority in the House can end the investigation. Will only work if a judge grants interim injunctive relief, i.e. the committee is ordered not to review the records until a final decision is made.

So if a judge does not grant the injunction then the committee will be able to review the records?

I'm OK with that not going to SCOTUS immediately then. Realistically, if further legal action doesn't block records from getting to committee, I expect Trump to drop things before a final decision could be reached. This is taking a denial of injuctive relief here as a given, though. The thing which gives me most pause is an argument that the committee's subpoena was over-broad. Knowing how ill-defined executive privilege is, if there is any merit to this claim it might keep the delay tactics afloat despite the overall legal argument that he has the right to block release of these documents by claiming executive privilege being an extreme longshot.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Apparently unaware he is not the president any more. Obviously he's hiding something, but what....

Why should Trump not believe that he is still president? Look at his supporters. :rolleyes:

And this is so very sad because iOwa had been a blue state. Voted for Obama, twice! This state has definitely taken a major hit when it comes to smart people. But I know what happened here.... all of the educated people moved away, the kids moved away to attend college or moved away for employment after finishing college, and what remains are the "farmers" and the under-educated who simply love Donald Trump. You know, people like THIS guy....

BNLT46AJV5GILALVCWEA5TC5P4.jpg