News Trump Is Committing 'Felony Bribery' by Giving Fundraising Cash to GOP Senators Ahead of Impeachment Trial: Ex-Bush Ethics Lawyer

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Trump Is Committing 'Felony Bribery' by Giving Fundraising Cash to GOP Senators Ahead of Impeachment Trial: Ex-Bush Ethics Lawyer

So, Trump is so scared that he'll lose this impeachment trial that he is willing to commit more impeachable offenses just to avoid being removed from office.

If you want the dems to stop "persecuting" you, stop breaking the law trump!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Once corrupt always corrupt.

I don’t know why but I’m still amazed how republicans can rally behind such a person.

Reactions: tweaker2

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL
Supporting raising money for down ballot candidates has always been done. Yes, even Democrats. In the end, this will be another nothing burger. There is something askew about this story, so lets get the full story. Where does it say Trump is reaching into his own pockets and giving away cash? Sorry, but the way this is being done is not bribery. This is someone's opinion, someone with a political bias. As we will see, this will not turn out to be anything. Need to find a better gotcha.

Nov 25, 2013
LOL
Supporting raising money for down ballot candidates has always been done. Yes, even Democrats. In the end, this will be another nothing burger. There is something askew about this story, so lets get the full story. Where does it say Trump is reaching into his own pockets and giving away cash? Sorry, but the way this is being done is not bribery. This is someone's opinion, someone with a political bias. As we will see, this will not turn out to be anything. Need to find a better gotcha.

And you need to find someone who is actually worthy of defending.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Giving my view is not defending. I'm not blinded by hate to the point where I can't see anything else. All I'm saying is I don't see this as a big deal, or anything that is going anywhere. I wouldn't be slobbering all over myself if it had been Obama either.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

As compuwiz1 says, it's not really illegal. They'll back Trump, anyway, so long as they feel he has them by the balls. And he does. He stole their voter base.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
"Any other American who offered cash to the jury before a trial would go to prison for felony bribery."

If we changed that law, fewer people would dodge jury duty.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
LOL

Oh, I must have missed when Obama gave money to the Senators who signed onto anti-impeachment resolutions but held back money for senators that didn't step in line.

Hmm, maybe Bill Clinton did this? Hillary? Al Gore?

How about the George bushes?

None of them? Weird.

The story isn't that he raised money for party members. The story is that he raised money for party members that are trying to disrupt the impeachment process and excluded senators that didn't.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Oh, I must have missed when Obama gave money to the Senators who signed onto anti-impeachment resolutions but held back money for senators that didn't step in line.

Hmm, maybe Bill Clinton did this? Hillary? Al Gore?

How about the George bushes?

None of them? Weird.

The story isn't that he raised money for party members. The story is that he raised money for party members that are trying to disrupt the impeachment process and excluded senators that didn't.

Maybe the poster you responded to doesn’t understand checks and balances and how the three branches of government are separate and the legislative is specifically tasked with oversight of the executive.

Lots of people don’t understand how our government works so their ignorance isn’t surprise. What would be surprising is that after you explained how government works that they would continue to see this move by trump as not a big deal.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
LOL
I looked for the part where it says Trump gave them money, it's not there. He asked donors to give them money. This is business as usual. Not only legal but expected.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not the point.

This kind of joint fundraising is standard stuff. Trump isn't directing money to anybody he doesn't already own. They'll all kiss the ring or feel the wrath of the base, even if that's just staying home. No GOP Senator up for re-election in 2020 will cross him. If he's removed, it will be on the votes of those not up for re-election until 2022 or 2024.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
LOL

Sure, it’s probably the least unethical unethical thing he’s done in October. You win.

• Haha
Reactions: thilanliyan