Trump is a manchild who lacks the maturity to be Commander-in-chief

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I guess my main point is this: before being sworn into office as president, Trump said many false things and the motive was to win the election and become President. But now that he is President, telling lies and making them into policy is quite a different phenomenon. And the press secretary doing it is official and illustrates such poor judgement. This is a break from the norm.

..are you being honest with yourself here, or what? I just can't understand this mentality: "well yeah, he's clearly lying about everything, but that's just to get elected! Let's just elect him or not care, then we can see what happens!"

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Press secretary is a formal term for propaganda minister. It's literally their job to be petty.

Now, if the trump admin pulled what obama admin did à la attackwatch.org - so the true comrades could report the traitors, there might be cause for concern.

A lot of people are simply not accustomed to a conservative admin being shameless shitlords. Usually it's the other side. It'll take some time to penetrate the blood brain barrier, but you'll get used to it.

I'm curious if you believe that american conservatives (such as yourself) fundamentally changed with the coming of Trump. Seems rather obvious that's what they've always been: not really honest or credible.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
You guys realize you have an administration now where you CAN'T.BELIEVE.ONE.SINGLE.WORD of whatever information they will ever release, not one.single.word of what the con men will say in public statements to the press.

Unemployment numbers, defense spending, whatever.

I have long learned that nothing, and I mean really nothing what Trump (or "Liar Barbie", or "Propaganda Bannon" or the other guy who just lied to the press) said and will ever say has *ANY* meaning whatsoever. Whether it is public statements, or speeches. Entirely meaningless.

Actually mind.boggling that the blatant lying in official position started already less than 24hrs into the admin. (The lies during the campaign I am not even counting here). And it's not even smart, well-formulated lies. It's OBVIOUS.

As obvious as his rejecting to release his tax returns, his "Thousands cheered on 9/11" or the white-haired "billionaire moguls" who are "oh so anti-establishment". What's wrong with Americans that they don't see this?? I don't get it. I don't.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
What are we going to do with a administration prone to lying when a national crisis strikes? Where will Americans turn for the facts?

Hopefully Trump will recognize this is not a reality TV show and sobers up very soon. Otherwise I envision a rocky road for the nation ahead.

Are you saying we haven't been lied to by politicians our entire lives already?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Are you saying we haven't been lied to by politicians our entire lives already?

May I make a suggestion for a little game if you're up for it. One person researches for a specific number of examples of brazen dishonesty from Trump during his time as a candidate all the way up to the present day, and you're going to pick another President (you can use their time as an official presidential candidate if that suits your purpose) who has been guilty of more and cite a greater number of brazen examples for the same length of time?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
May I make a suggestion for a little game if you're up for it. One person researches for a specific number of examples of brazen dishonesty from Trump during his time as a candidate all the way up to the present day, and you're going to pick another President (you can use their time as an official presidential candidate if that suits your purpose) who has been guilty of more and cite a greater number of brazen examples for the same length of time?

Trump wins any lie contest of course, but that's like saying "Here is Attila the Hun. Let's pick others who are any more merciful and say they are acceptable". I don't think that's a good basis to go with at all. Trump aside there's been some crap sold and bought that shouldn't have. Naturally this does not mitigate Trump's outstandingly bad record, which falls into the jaw dropping category.

I saw an article suggesting how the press should handle him and his spokespeople. Don't broadcast live press conferences and the like except in times of national emergency. Instead do what CNN did and show edited highlights. Just cut it down to bare bones and put headlines like they did with "Trump press secretary upset for correctly reporting on crowd size". We should really manage the bullshit. Leave an option to see the whole thing, but not promote it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Trump wins any lie contest of course, but that's like saying "Here is Attila the Hun. Let's pick others who are any more merciful and say they are acceptable". I don't think that's a good basis to go with at all. Trump aside there's been some crap sold and bought that shouldn't have. Naturally this does not mitigate Trump's outstandingly bad record, which falls into the jaw dropping category.

The context of my response was to address yet another instance of false equivalence, not to say that I approve of any person who lies less than Trump (which probably includes many medically diagnosed compulsive liars), which I don't of course.

I saw an article suggesting how the press should handle him and his spokespeople. Don't broadcast live press conferences and the like except in times of national emergency. Instead do what CNN did and show edited highlights. Just cut it down to bare bones and put headlines like they did with "Trump press secretary upset for correctly reporting on crowd size". We should really manage the bullshit. Leave an option to see the whole thing, but not promote it.

Perhaps. What ultimately needs to happen IMO is for a political party's supporters to get angry and take their leaders up on their bullshit. I find it mind-boggling that say Trump supporters stand idly by and remain silent when he is so obviously flip-flopping, being egotistical and petty about the most inane shit, and of course telling outright lies (ones that don't suit the interests of most of his supporters, that is).

vampirefo

Nov 30, 2014
Trump wins ever contest, Hillary just get a participation award.

Her following also gets a participation award, as they can't stand the real award which is a loser award.

So in a two horse race Hillary and her following came in second.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
One observation that came to mind today:

Adults learn to pick their battles carefully. They realize that it's not always worth arguing over every last thing, especially if there's a good chance you're going to lose the argument.

Trump, meanwhile, threw a temper tantrum because people wouldn't accept his bogus claim that his inauguration was wildly popular. His Press Secretary sounded more like a 4-year-old stamping his feet and crying than a high-ranking official deserving of respect. The size of the crowd doesn't really matter, but it was so important to Trump's vanity that he launched a full-on assault that included dragging in the press solely to scold them for telling the truth.

Trump is a manchild, and this isn't up for dispute.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump wins ever contest, Hillary just get a participation award.

Her following also gets a participation award, as they can't stand the real award which is a loser award.

So in a two horse race Hillary and her following came in second.
Tell us something we don't know. Your guy won and the voices of the majority will continue to get louder. Get over it.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
16142307_1568492666495807_5831875741259227101_n.jpg

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
He will stop lying when Hillary and all her followers are in jail, let's work together and make it happen.

Trump has already said he won't be pursuing Hillary... so the whole threat against her is yet another one of his lies.

Look, you don't have to like Clinton or the Democrats, but don't feel like you have to be a cheerleader who praises everything Trump does. Push for a better Republican alternative; don't insist on defending whichever Republican happens to have the top spot.

vampirefo

Nov 30, 2014
Trump has already said he won't be pursuing Hillary... so the whole threat against her is yet another one of his lies.

Look, you don't have to like Clinton or the Democrats, but don't feel like you have to be a cheerleader who praises everything Trump does. Push for a better Republican alternative; don't insist on defending whichever Republican happens to have the top spot.
The best possible president is the current one, after 8 years, yes I will push for another Republican.

I agree you don't have to like the Clintons and could have chose another Democrat, but you didn't.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
wait, what?

the previous 2 years of campaigning, millions of pages of print and news and biography and people that have worked with him his entire life, roundly denouncing this toad over and over again...wasn't enough for people to make an honest prediction?

Why weren't you angry about what so many others were angry about the last 2 years? Were all those people wrong then, simply because "they couldn't know..." even when they are still clearly so right? Are you trying to pawn off some "guilt" for being neutral when neutrality was just as dangerous, because of this sudden revelation you had that "well, no one could honestly know!"?

I think it best to think of what "How he would govern" might mean. One might say by examining his history "Pretty badly", but outside of that who knows? By that I mean in terms of specifics. He's a Christian secular guy who is for choice but wants to end abortions while being pro-gun and highly restrictive. He's pretty much been everything and so no one, perhaps Trump included, understands what he believes and how he's going to prioritize.

I haven't a frigging clue what he's going to do one way or another in terms of actions.

To answer the OP question of "what do we do in a crisis?", that depends. If it's imminent, then we watch and wait. Or run in circles, scream and shout.

If it's a Vietnam like thing and Trump does an outstanding bad job then protests which impact government functions could be a thing.

It all depends on particulars.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The best possible president is the current one, after 8 years, yes I will push for another Republican.

I agree you don't have to like the Clintons and could have chose another Democrat, but you didn't.

He's not, though. Objectively not. He's clearly incompetent, having picked cabinet members with no related experience in their fields (and many positions still unfilled despite plenty of time). He's petty -- the whole inauguration attendance fight is evidence of that. He's corrupt, with numerous conflicts of interest. He rejects proven climate science simply because it's inconvenient to the fossil fuel industries paying his party to look the other way. He's giving sway to religious extremists who want to take social values back 50 years. Which is ironic, because he's also a sexual harasser whose first wife accused him of rape.

For goodness' sake, Ted Cruz would have been a better candidate, and even many Republicans think of him as slimy and manipulative. He's at least knowledgeable about politics, and doesn't throw Twitter hissy fits at 3AM simply because someone called him a bad name.

Also: 4 years or less.

Dec 10, 2005
He will stop lying when Hillary and all her followers are in jail, let's work together and make it happen.

Who cares about Hillary Clinton anymore? That's so 3 months ago. Time to face the present - Trump is president. It's all on him. You can't blame Hillary anymore. You're like @FrankRamiro with less of a potty-mouth.