Trump interview with Piers Morgan

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...rs-morgan-how-the-world-reacted-a3750156.html

I haven't seen the interview in full, but on the topic of him re-tweeting Britain First's videos, I saw this on news sites:

article said:
He told Mr Morgan: "If you are telling me they're horrible people, horrible, racist people, I would certainly apologise if you'd like me to do that."

Piers Morgan claimed that he had actually apologised (apparently based on the strength of this quote). I guess that Piers Morgan has insufficient insight to spot a fake apology.

To anyone who attempts to argue this point: An honest and moral person apologises because they want to atone for something they have done wrong. It's not about who is offended by it, or giving an apology because someone asked for one. It would be like me calling you a fucking wanker then saying "I'm sorry if you were offended by that". Either I think I shouldn't have called you a fucking wanker or I don't. Apologising for your offence is suggesting that I'm apologising for your opinion, which makes no sense.

The fact that Donald Trump, as the US's supreme representative, helped voice one of the most bigoted and awful organisations currently in existence without allegedly having the vaguest clue who they were, he hasn't tried to get the vaguest clue who they were since helping elevate their cause, claims that he would like to apologise, only when he's asked yet again. Logically, if he hadn't been asked, he wouldn't be "apologising if you'd like me to", as opposed to, "Shit, I think I made a horrible mistake by retweeting this stuff, but before I issue an apology I had better check all the facts first. Yes, they're a bunch of extremists whose sole purpose is to try and stir racial hatred, this is not something I support and so therefore I will now apologise for being an ignorant idiot who brought the office of the President into disrepute".

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorian Gray

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Trump on asking for forgiveness, from the Family Leadership Summit, 2015

Moderator Frank Luntz asked Trump whether he has ever asked God for forgiveness for his actions.

"I am not sure I have. I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."

Trump said that while he hasn't asked God for forgiveness, he does participate in Holy Communion.
"When I drink my little wine -- which is about the only wine I drink -- and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed," he said. "I think in terms of 'let's go on and let's make it right.'"
----
For Trump, forgiveness is simply another tool to purify his ego. Maybe that's all it ever is for anyone.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
For Trump, forgiveness is simply another tool to purify his ego. Maybe that's all it ever is for anyone.

Perhaps. Some people want to donate to charity because they want to be seen to donate to charity, or perhaps they think that offsets their lack of effort in related areas of their life.

Or that getting someone to accept one's apology is a way for one not to have to think about it any more, but I'd still say there's a difference between a person who realises they've done something shitty and apologises for it without being prompted (even if it's just to feel like they don't have to think of it any more and that it's somehow been removed from their moral slate so that it is now clean), and someone who only apologises when they're made to feel uncomfortable about not doing so.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What did you expect when the upper class twit of the year interviews the clueless commander?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Trump on asking for forgiveness, from the Family Leadership Summit, 2015

Moderator Frank Luntz asked Trump whether he has ever asked God for forgiveness for his actions.

"I am not sure I have. I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."

Trump said that while he hasn't asked God for forgiveness, he does participate in Holy Communion.
"When I drink my little wine -- which is about the only wine I drink -- and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed," he said. "I think in terms of 'let's go on and let's make it right.'"
----
Lol anyone who is even a little bit Christian knows you don't refer to the body of Christ as "my little cracker". Also the taking of communion is considered by many denominations one of the most sacred things a Christian does, where if taken with a false or impure heart literally leads directly to hell. And he refers to it so casually... Good job Evangelical right.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Lol anyone who is even a little bit Christian knows you don't refer to the body of Christ as "my little cracker". Also the taking of communion is considered by many denominations one of the most sacred things a Christian does, where if taken with a false or impure heart literally leads directly to hell. And he refers to it so casually... Good job Evangelical right.
Now you've got him.