Trump inaugural committee sued for 'grossly overpaying' president's Washington hotel

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I wonder if reporters and news outlets who have been routinely and relentlessly attacked by this administration are just sitting on things and are planning on rolling them out as the campaign for re-election starts to ramp up.
I'm sure this is another nothing burger - campaign/inaugural funds being funneled directly to the Trump organization's bottom line through illegal activity.

The attorney general of Washington D.C. has filed a lawsuit against Donald Trump’s inaugural committee, alleging an abuse of non-profit funds that ultimately benefited the first family’s private business.

Attorney General Karl Racine said in the lawsuit that the committee was made to “grossly overpay for event space” at the Trump International Hotel in Washington during the president’s inauguration, while failing to seek out cheaper options.

Mr Trump’s inaugural committee funding has been steeped in controversy ever since it was reported to have spent over $100m (£76m) on lavish events — far more than past inaugural budgets — and more than $1m (£761,300) at the Trump hotel.

"District law requires non-profits to use their funds for their stated public purpose, not to benefit private individuals or companies,” the attorney general said when announcing the lawsuit on Wednesday. “In this case, we are seeking to recover the nonprofit funds that were improperly funnelled directly to the Trump family business.”

Mr Trump's inaugural committee has maintained that its finances were independently audited, and that all money was spent in accordance with the law.

Edit: Small addition too. Appears Melania's friend was paid $26M for catering?

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wonder if reporters and news outlets who have been routinely and relentlessly attacked by this administration are just sitting on things and are planning on rolling them out as the campaign for re-election starts to ramp up.

I'd imagine that it's more that theres a massive mountain of this shady crap that Trump and associates get up to and it's taking awhile to report on all of it!

Jan 25, 2011
I'm sure this is another nothing burger - campaign/inaugural funds being funneled directly to the Trump organization's bottom line through illegal activity.

if I remember this one clearly there was an extensive email chain challenging the validity of the charge from people within the campaign at the time.

Nov 29, 2006
I love our country being run by a criminal mob family. its so fun. cheating, lying, money laundering, collusion, murder, etc, its all on the table as acceptable behavior.

/s

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I'll use the follow up line. Round up the usual suspects.

Reactions: tweaker2

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'd imagine that it's more that theres a massive mountain of this shady crap that Trump and associates get up to and it's taking awhile to report on all of it!
In the Trump organization, if cash if lying around it belongs to Trump. They love cash.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. I don't think the "non-profits" who gave the money cared about how it was spent. They all know it's pay to play, particularly with Trump. It's customary for vassals to offer gifts to the new King.

Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meh. I don't think the "non-profits" who gave the money cared about how it was spent. They all know it's pay to play, particularly with Trump. It's customary for vassals to offer gifts to the new King.
No doubt. Easiest (non-traceable) access money ever spent.

Reactions: Pohemi

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
If found guilty all money that was clearly over market price should be confiscated

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The should have stayed at Hilton. Wouldnt have benefited "private individuals or companies".

Right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's a lawsuit w/o a victim. Corrupt? Yeh, sure. So what? They're all putting up their ante to mingle & play the big game in a grifter's paradise. Giving thru a non-profit means it's pre-tax money, a ploy the GOP has exploited since forever. Even if Trump gives some of it back they'll find a way to make it up to him.

A lot of these folks really didn't fund the campaign so they had a lot of catching up to do when Trump won. The inaugural fund was their first opportunity. They spent $107M, twice as much as Obama.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's a lawsuit w/o a victim. Corrupt? Yeh, sure. So what? They're all putting up their ante to mingle & play the big game in a grifter's paradise. Giving thru a non-profit means it's pre-tax money, a ploy the GOP has exploited since forever. Even if Trump gives some of it back they'll find a way to make it up to him.

A lot of these folks really didn't fund the campaign so they had a lot of catching up to do when Trump won. The inaugural fund was their first opportunity. They spent $107M, twice as much as Obama.
Grifter as President, so what.

I'm sad to say you are developing Stockholm Syndrome, Trump style. Something I and others have warned about for at least 4 years. Normalizing bad behavior.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Grifter as President, so what.

I'm sad to say you are developing Stockholm Syndrome, Trump style. Something I and others have warned about for at least 4 years. Normalizing bad behavior.

Not at all. The GOP ran on corruption before Trump showed up & it'll be the same after he's gone. He's just more blatant.

Reactions: Linux23