Trump inaugural committee sued for 'grossly overpaying' president's Washington hotel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
Hey guys, I’m pretty sure that was a one-off grift. They can’t possibly be running the same scheme 3 years later and expect not to get caught...oh wait...

But guys. He's not taking a salary. The millions going into his pocket every year mean nothing cause he's not taking a salary!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Hey guys, I’m pretty sure that was a one-off grift. They can’t possibly be running the same scheme 3 years later and expect not to get caught...oh wait...

Expect not to get caught? What?

A law does not exist unless enforced. Who is going to enforce it? The fact is Republicans simply do not care.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I thought the entire point of setting up a nonprofit was so you could do this sort of thing? Aren't they just a money funnel that's tax deductible for the people making donations, and a semi legal way for politicians to take bribes?
While it's greedy and reprehensible, I didn't think it was illegal. It's certainly no dirtier than single bid government contracts, and the last big one I remember was pretty much ignored.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Yeah, but... OU-BAMA wore a MOOSE-LIMB tan SUIT!!! When will OU-BAMA be impeached?!
-Idiot Racist Jackass

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I thought the entire point of setting up a nonprofit was so you could do this sort of thing? Aren't they just a money funnel that's tax deductible for the people making donations, and a semi legal way for politicians to take bribes?
While it's greedy and reprehensible, I didn't think it was illegal. It's certainly no dirtier than single bid government contracts, and the last big one I remember was pretty much ignored.

Non-profits have a pretty robust audit trail and reporting requirements. The problem in this instance is that as soon as money is funneled from the Inaugural Fund to Trump Org, the money trail goes cold. We don’t know if Trump is just sitting on that money, or if he’s paying off interest on loans via a variety of his shell corporations.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The DA is claiming that the inaugural committee technically has a fiduciary duty to the tax exempt non profit who really doesn't care where the money went. It bought 'em a ticket on the Trump train which was what they budgeted for. The committee? With $107M begging to be spent they didn't care a helluva lot about the price of anything. They carved off the cash & handed it out to their friends like chunks of meat at a pig roast.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Funneling money to Trump personally is bribery and is illegal. There were all sorts of ways they could have indirectly benefited Trump without breaking the law (thank you decades of corrupt politicians for making sure those pathways of corruption exist).

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Non-profits have a pretty robust audit trail and reporting requirements. The problem in this instance is that as soon as money is funneled from the Inaugural Fund to Trump Org, the money trail goes cold. We don’t know if Trump is just sitting on that money, or if he’s paying off interest on loans via a variety of his shell corporations.

The issue isn't what Trump does with the money but that the inaugural committee let him over bill a theoretical non-profit to get it. It's privately funded other than the actual ceremony so they can pretty much spend the money as they damned well please.

It's a bit of a grandstanding move for the DA because it's based on the technicalities of the law rather than anybody claiming victimhood. It's just another sleazy example of how Trump Co operates.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The DA is claiming that the inaugural committee technically has a fiduciary duty to the tax exempt non profit who really doesn't care where the money went. It bought 'em a ticket on the Trump train which was what they budgeted for. The committee? With $107M begging to be spent they didn't care a helluva lot about the price of anything. They carved off the cash & handed it out to their friends like chunks of meat at a pig roast.
The big things is that their names show up on the donor list, for further "consultations".

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Rachel Maddow is doing an in depth report on the inauguration grift based on material from Wolkoff's book and is about to interview her. i have a feeling of all the illegality surrounding Trump and his administration, this is one that will have teeth.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Rachel Maddow is doing an in depth report on the inauguration grift based on material from Wolkoff's book and is about to interview her. i have a feeling of all the illegality surrounding Trump and his administration, this is one that will have teeth.
Just saw an interview on TRMS with the lady that wrote the book Melinia and Me. One of the reasons she wrote the book is because the Trump people tried to make her a scapegoat for all of the odd things, like the enormous cost of the cheezie inauguration celebrations. Turns out she's cooperating with 3 different groups that are still investigating what the hell went down, like who ended up with all the cash.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Do Trump's supporters actually care about any of this that they would turn away from Trump come election day?

Silly question I know, considering how they've had to grit their teeth and give Trump a pass on his malfeasance time after time after time over these painful humiliating years of his tenure.

Yet bear they must and, amazingly so, it seems they all want another four years of Trump's childish, self-serving behavior so as to punish the nation with, seeing that it's all that Trump has managed to do in his quest for seeking the ultimate power that would shield him from the due justice he's been running away from since the day he realized that the only talent he had was that of a conman.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Do Trump's supporters actually care about any of this that they would turn away from Trump come election day?

Silly question I know, considering how they've had to grit their teeth and give Trump a pass on his malfeasance time after time after time over these painful humiliating years of his tenure.

Yet bear they must and, amazingly so, it seems they all want another four years of Trump's childish, self-serving behavior so as to punish the nation with, seeing that it's all that Trump has managed to do in his quest for seeking the ultimate power that would shield him from the due justice he's been running away from since the day he realized that the only talent he had was that of a conman.

When you belong to a cult, there is nothing the dear leader can do that would make you question him. Make no mistake the trump base is in a cult as evident by the fact that we didn’t hear a single peep, not even a hint of concern or question, when trump publicly stated;

trump said:
Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening, Just stick with us, don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When you belong to a cult, there is nothing the dear leader can do that would make you question him. Make no mistake the trump base is in a cult as evident by the fact that we didn’t hear a single peep, not even a hint of concern or question, when trump publicly stated;
Jim Jones managed to get his people to kill themselves

Feb 4, 2009
I wonder if reporters and news outlets who have been routinely and relentlessly attacked by this administration are just sitting on things and are planning on rolling them out as the campaign for re-election starts to ramp up.
I'm sure this is another nothing burger - campaign/inaugural funds being funneled directly to the Trump organization's bottom line through illegal activity.

Edit: Small addition too. Appears Melania's friend was paid $26M for catering?

26 million is a lot of cheap well done steaks

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

LOL@this:

During his deposition, Trump Jr. was asked about Winston Wolkoff: “Do you know her?” He replied, “I know of her. I think I’ve met her, but I don’t know her. If she was in this room I’m not sure I would recognize her.” He added, “I had no involvement with her.”

Daddy must be proud. Jr.'s already got the whole pretending to not know people that you actually know thing down pat. Trump has only done the same thing himself at least 20 times since he became POTUS alone.

Last edited:
  • Haha

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
LOL@this:

Daddy must be proud. Jr.'s already got the whole pretending to not know people that you actually know thing down pat. Trump has only done the same thing himself at least 20 times since he became POTUS alone.
That's what got me, almost verbatim. I'm just hoping that no Trump ever has a future in American politics anymore. What's weird is, I guess they can run for office as convicted felons, but maybe they will be in jail when the next election comes and finally reality sets back in this country, and people move on.