Trump has plan to win war in Afghanistan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Is there any reason to still be over there? (disclaimer: I'm not implying there ever was one).

Is it a strategic place to have bases/forces because it is close to Russia and/or the middle east?

Is it so we can help the opium output skyrocket?

Is it so we can keep turning people into bad guys so we can kill them and be badass Americans?

I don't get it...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We have to keep soldiers in Afghanistan in order to protect our soldiers stationed there. Same with Iraq.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What are our soldiers stationed there for? (The ones needin protectin by the other soldiers)
Duh, they have to protect the soldiers that were sent to protect them. If we pull out now, we dishonor the memories of the soldiers who died protecting the soldiers who were sent to honor the memories of the soldiers who died before them. As John Kerry once famously said, "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?" The answer is: you don't. So you have to keep sending soldiers so that the last one who died won't be the last one to die.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Duh, they have to protect the soldiers that were sent to protect them. If we pull out now, we dishonor the memories of the soldiers who died protecting the soldiers who were sent to honor the memories of the soldiers who died before them. As John Kerry once famously said, "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?" The answer is: you don't. So you have to keep sending soldiers so that the last one who died won't be the last one to die.

I'm sure that man will feel much better to know that more people died so that he doesn't have to be the last one. We did that guy a solid.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Oh, to fight for freedom, or something, and of course to wage the war on drugs worldwide.

Ironically, I read an article stating that as little as 1% of the U.S. heroine supply comes from Afghanistan. That number was sourced from the US Drug Enforcement Agency. I'm not very happy that our boys are going over there to die for Europe's drug problem.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ironically, I read an article stating that as little as 1% of the U.S. heroine supply comes from Afghanistan. That number was sourced from the US Drug Enforcement Agency. I'm not very happy that our boys are going over there to die for Europe's drug problem.

Europe? Lol, try Russia. But either way, we're not the fuggin world police. And it makes sense logistically that drugs in The states would enter through already established routes.

We fought that drug war while big pharma peddled narcotics to americans for 15 years before anyone really took notice.

American tax payers just get screwed at every turn.

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Europe? Lol, try Russia. But either way, we're not the fuggin world police. And it makes sense logistically that drugs in The states would enter through already established routes.

We fought that drug war while big pharma peddled narcotics to americans for 15 years before anyone really took notice.

American tax payers just get screwed at every turn.

The article didn't mention Russia, but it did say Afghan Opium/Heroine supplies "95% of the market in Europe; 90% of the Canadian market"

The U.S. market is apparently supplied by Central/South America.

But I bet you can find tons of quotes about how dangerous Heroine is and how many Americans it kills and how the majority of heroine comes from Afghanistan. Those statements are relying on our brains to falsely assume that we can reduce heroine in the U.S. by fighting it in Afghanistan. The statements leave out the fact that almost none of our supply comes from there. It's a classic example of telling a lie without actually lying. It's kind of like you tell a half truth, leave out important facts, and rely on other people's brains to unwittingly make the false connection. I'm not sure what this deceptive strategy is called, or if it even has a name, but it drives me nuts.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The article didn't mention Russia, but it did say Afghan Opium/Heroine supplies "95% of the market in Europe; 90% of the Canadian market"

Yea, and afaik it's been that way for a long time. Russia, heroin, look it up man :)

The U.S. market is apparently supplied by Central/South America.

But I bet you can find tons of quotes about how dangerous Heroine is and how many Americans it kills and how the majority of heroine comes from Afghanistan. Those statements are relying on our brains to falsely assume that we can reduce heroine in the U.S. by fighting it in Afghanistan. The statements leave out the fact that almost none of our supply comes from there. It's a classic example of telling a lie without actually lying. It's kind of like you tell a half truth, leave out important facts, and rely on other people's brains to unwittingly make the false connection. I'm not sure what this deceptive strategy is called, or if it even has a name, but it drives me nuts.

Well, I would refer to that as fear mongering. I dunno if there's a specific term for what you're describing.

If you're trying to say that the USA is fighting a drug war that doesn't impact us, I will have to both agree and disagree.

First, I agree because data we have says that the USAs source of heroin is mostly from South America and Mexico.

Second, I'll disagree as the idea of fighting to reduce heroin production in the area that supplies most of the rest of the world's heroin is a way of financially hurting groups of people that want to do the USA harm.

I also agree with you in that there's tons of misinformation when it comes to drugs in general, and the war on drugs.

I never really agreed with sending military to that area of the world to play world police. Other countries had more on the line there.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Is there any reason to still be over there? (disclaimer: I'm not implying there ever was one).

Is it a strategic place to have bases/forces because it is close to Russia and/or the middle east?

Is it so we can help the opium output skyrocket?

Is it so we can keep turning people into bad guys so we can kill them and be badass Americans?

I don't get it...

The real answer is that if we pulled out corporate profits would plummet for a certain group of very powerful corporations and the military would not be able to justify eating up over half our entire GDP. If you want to understand American politics you need to understand this one concept: above all else corporate profits must be protected!