Trump Gives Us Hope!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/06/new...ucky/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

My opinion is whenever you bet your future on the President you're just asking for trouble. Trump, Hillary, Boo Boo Bear, Bill Gates, Tom Brady, etc... No one is going to fix your issue except YOU. Waiting on the president to fix it is just stupid. And, this is what we have, Delusional Americans who go thru this every 4 years. Remember Obama and "Change We Can Believe In?" How did that work out for you?

Successful people are able to get theirs no matter who is in the white house. If I were 25 year old Amber I'd move out of her city. No opportunities, no decent jobs, no future. Yet, I'm sure she'll blame Obama for her misery.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Actually, successful people are defined as ones who got theirs. Their status is based on actualization, not any implied set of characteristics that assure them of success. Perhaps you think that successful people are the ones who buy lottery tickets and win. Then there's the whole question of how you define success. One form of success not commonly recognized in my opinion is he or she who has transcended ego need. What is success to somebody who has no desires for more than he or she already has.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Actually, successful people are defined as ones who got theirs. Their status is based on actualization, not any implied set of characteristics that assure them of success. Perhaps you think that successful people are the ones who buy lottery tickets and win. Then there's the whole question of how you define success. One form of success not commonly recognized in my opinion is he or she who has transcended ego need. What is success to somebody who has no desires for more than he or she already has.

True, there are many types of success. I was basically talking financial. I know there are many people who define success differently than what I might define success.

Becauae the article was focused on finances that's where I was headed. Having financial success. Is it important? I think so because we live on an economic planet.

My point I was trying to make was don't rely on the government to fix your problems. There are many people who have ZERO saved for retirement, ZERO in the bank and their lives are an awful mess. Their attitude is I'm just going to wait till Trump fixes my life. The only one who fixes your life is you. That's what I was trying to get across.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
True, there are many types of success. I was basically talking financial. I know there are many people who define success differently than what I might define success.

Becauae the article was focused on finances that's where I was headed. Having financial success. Is it important? I think so because we live on an economic planet.

My point I was trying to make was don't rely on the government to fix your problems. There are many people who have ZERO saved for retirement, ZERO in the bank and their lives are an awful mess. Their attitude is I'm just going to wait till Trump fixes my life. The only one who fixes your life is you. That's what I was trying to get across.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What I did was look deeper into what I would call our unexamined assumptions. What I wanted to call to your attention is the assumptions I find implied by your post, one of those being that financial success is simply a matter of personal effort. Let's look deeper at what your new post suggests to me. I hear the notion that because of a lack of personal self reliance people reach retirement age without enough money to live half way decent lives, but I feel that many people reach that age without money for any of a huge number of other reasons. The poor, for example, may work a hundred times as hard as a person handed a nice inheritance and still wind up poor because the cost of basics may take all of his or her income, or they may support many other people in their family selflessly. Where are such people to turn in a wonderful caring country like the US but to their all loving and caring leader, the magnificent Donald Trump. Are you trying to tell me that a country as great as ours, the land of milk and honey would elect a person who would cut off government's helping hand? By what means would people who struggle in life just to put food on the table have come to that realization? Might we not assume that if they had any intellectual capacity for such higher functioning reasoning they might not be poor in the first place? The assumption I want to challenge, the one I think you are making, is that people are responsible and reproachable if they can't support themselves in old age, as if those who play the lottery and wind up poorer are less people than the small number who win, as if everybody inherently starts out with an equal chance.

I understand why you would be angry at the people who vote for Trump when it is against their own self interest based on delusions they may have, but who among us is delusion free. Let him cast the first stone.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Those are some gullible folks right there.

They're decent Americans who are being deceived in a truly cruel fashion. They'll very likely be worse off in 4 years than they are today thanks to savage cutbacks in the govt support that the people need to do as well as they are.

W/O enormous subsidies there's no reason for the Job Creators to work their magic in such places no matter how badly some think that they might. The economic incentives just aren't there. Mere fact.

So we're left with the choice between subsidizing the inhabitants directly or subsidizing the efforts of hedge fund ownership to let a little of it trickle down to the inhabitants or some combination of both. Subsidizing the Job Creators merely masks the fact that it's a handout & diverts some of the effort into creating even greater inequality.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Trump does give me hope. Before trump I thought being the president required a person to have great intellect, a deep understanding of how government works, a solid and deep network of people who know how government works, a clear well thought out vision for the country, and the ability to see the big picture.

But now with trump, I see that anyone, including me, can be president. Trump is kind of like Obama in a way. Obama gave hope and inspiration to black children everywhere that, they too, could be president someday and now trump is giving ordinary people that same hope and inspiration that they too can be president*.

Provided you are a multi "billionaire".

Reactions: MongGrel

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
My hope comes closer to home. It's found in the love of others and being able to look in the mirror daily. Presidents are people who can promote change for good or ill, but they are not the embodiment of hope or despair if it comes to it. Don't give that degree of control to others who have no idea who you are. Well that's me at least.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Tenuous though it may be, my optimistic side sees the growing potential for the Trump regime to be the common foil to galvanize the idealistic yet complacent and disengaged progressives among our citizenry. Having attended the post-election march, the women's march and the march against the muslim ban so far, I do have a glimmer of hope for our country yet. The challenge will be to carry forward the willingness to march into a willingness to take further individual action.

And yes, I realize as a resident of Seattle I'm fairly insulated in my immediate environment from any significant representation of conservative ideals. Thank the gods.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Tenuous though it may be, my optimistic side sees the growing potential for the Trump regime to be the common foil to galvanize the idealistic yet complacent and disengaged progressives among our citizenry. Having attended the post-election march, the women's march and the march against the muslim ban so far, I do have a glimmer of hope for our country yet. The challenge will be to carry forward the willingness to march into a willingness to take further individual action.

And yes, I realize as a resident of Seattle I'm fairly insulated in my immediate environment from any significant representation of conservative ideals. Thank the gods.

2018 will tell us if you are right or not.