Trump financial report released.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
From the report:

"In the interest of transparency, while not required to be disclosed as "reportable liabilities" on Part 8, in 2016 expenses were incurred by one of Donald J. Trump's attorneys, Michael Cohen. Mr. Cohen
sought reimbursement of those expenses and Mr. Trump fully reimbursed Mr. Cohen in 2017. The category of value would be $100,001 - $250,000 and the interest rate would be zero."

Despite the above opinion that this isn't a required disclosure, it seems otherwise. Also from the report.

"Note 3 to Part 8: OGE has concluded that the information related to the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported and that the information provided meets the disclosure requirement for a reportable liability."

Trump paid Cohen in black and white.

Link to the report PDF.

https://oge.app.box.com/v/Trump2018Annual278

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
and...???

Hayabusa didn't mention that OGE referred this to the Department of Justice which basically amounts to a criminal referral.

Also, Trump previously claimed he paid Cohen about $400k, not $130k, which raises the possibility that this report has been falsified as well.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Hayabusa didn't mention that OGE referred this to the Department of Justice which basically amounts to a criminal referral.

Also, Trump previously claimed he paid Cohen about $400k, not $130k, which raises the possibility that this report has been falsified as well.
It basically amounts to informing Justice of the report and an opinion of OGE, not a criminal referral.

and your second statement is purely speculative. I prefer to work with facts. Trump says a lot of dumb things and what is true or not is often not immediately apparent.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Trump paid Cohen in black and white.

Possibly. There was never any question that Trump was paying Cohen for legal work. It has to be shown that the payment was a repayment and not a normal retainer fee that Cohen collects regularly. The DOJ/courts will look at all that when they review the financial statement in conjuction with Cohen's case.

Personally, I think that Trump did pay him back. I just don't think Cohen would have spent his own money on this. I also think that this is just a side show in the whole case against Cohen.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

I wanted to get this out and not say too much in the initial post.

From Business Insider

OGE Director David Apol sent a letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein after making the disclosure public, saying that "you may find the disclosure relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing regarding the President's prior report that was signed on June 14, 2017."

"This is tantamount to a criminal referral," tweeted Walter Shaub, the former director of the OGE under Trump who has since become one of his chief critics. "OGE has effectively reported the president to DOJ for potentially committing a crime."

The crime isn't wholly about Cohen but the President's attempt to hide by filing a false statement in 2016. What the concrete confession of Trump in paying off Trump means as a whole remains to be seen, but there is a "there" there.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It basically amounts to informing Justice of the report and an opinion of OGE, not a criminal referral.

Uhmm, did you read it?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps...-form-released-by-ethics-office-live-updates/

The OGE head said 'I'm providing both reports to you because you may find the disclosure relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing regarding the president's prior report."

The DOJ investigates crimes and the OGE thinks this information is relevant to whatever crimes DOJ may be investigating. It's hard to fathom what leaps of logic it would take to conclude otherwise.

and your second statement is purely speculative. I prefer to work with facts. Trump says a lot of dumb things and what is true or not is often not immediately apparent.

We've reached an amazing point where the statements of Trump's personal lawyer as to the facts of the case are now considered 'purely speculative'.

I don't even know what to say to that other than holy shit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/us/politics/trump-michael-cohen-stormy-daniels-giuliani.html

“Some time after the campaign is over, they set up a reimbursement, $35,000 a month, out of his personal family account,” Mr. Giuliani said. He added that over all, Mr. Cohen was paid $460,000 or $470,000 from Mr. Trump through those payments, which also included money for “incidental expenses” that he had incurred on Mr. Trump’s behalf.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We've reached an amazing point where the statements of Trump's personal lawyer as to the facts of the case are now considered 'purely speculative'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/us/politics/trump-michael-cohen-stormy-daniels-giuliani.html

Maybe don't have your lawyer tell America you paid off more people on live TV if you wanna keep up the denials and not get yourself into more trouble for lying on disclosures.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Maybe don't have your lawyer tell America you paid off more people on live TV if you wanna keep up the denials and not get yourself into more trouble for lying on disclosures.

"My bad, I did something people do not approve of and I regret that action"

My oh my how much doing things like that would benefit everyone, even the pols involved.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wanted to get this out and not say too much in the initial post.

The crime isn't wholly about Cohen but the President's attempt to hide by filing a false statement in 2016. What the concrete confession of Trump in paying off Trump means as a whole remains to be seen, but there is a "there" there.

It looks like there are a number of 'theres' there. It would be interesting to see someone put together a timeline/list of all the various things Trump or his associates have said about this arrangement. It's been a true blizzard of lies.

Still to me this is just a way into whatever swamp of corruption is likely around Trump. If companies were willing to pay $1 million+ to Trump's incompetent fixer of a lawyer through a shady LLC, what might they have paid to Trump personally? After all he's got a zillion LLCs floating around. Of course to see who was paying Trump we would have to see his tax returns and oddly enough conservatives don't seem to be particularly interested if anyone's bribing the president.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
It looks like there are a number of 'theres' there. It would be interesting to see someone put together a timeline/list of all the various things Trump or his associates have said about this arrangement. It's been a true blizzard of lies.

Still to me this is just a way into whatever swamp of corruption is likely around Trump. If companies were willing to pay $1 million+ to Trump's incompetent fixer of a lawyer through a shady LLC, what might they have paid to Trump personally? After all he's got a zillion LLCs floating around. Of course to see who was paying Trump we would have to see his tax returns and oddly enough conservatives don't seem to be particularly interested if anyone's bribing the president.

It would hard to imagine that this is now not another valid line of inquiry as have Trump claiming financial ownership ot payments to Cohen. Note another thing "interest rate zero". Besides you I wonder who will get the possible consequences of such an innocent sounding statement?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It would hard to imagine that this is now not another valid line of inquiry as have Trump claiming financial ownership ot payments to Cohen. Note another thing "interest rate zero". Besides you I wonder who will get the possible consequences of such an innocent sounding statement?

You mean you don't get large, unsecured, interest free loans from your coworkers on a regular basis? Sucks to be you!

I sincerely hope that Mueller has pulled Trump's tax returns because at this point it would seem like an absolutely obvious next step in the investigation. We know we have Russians and foreign corporations paying off the president's personal attorney. It's only logical to see if they are paying Trump.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Uhmm, did you read it?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps...-form-released-by-ethics-office-live-updates/

The OGE head said 'I'm providing both reports to you because you may find the disclosure relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing regarding the president's prior report."

The DOJ investigates crimes and the OGE thinks this information is relevant to whatever crimes DOJ may be investigating. It's hard to fathom what leaps of logic it would take to conclude otherwise.

Yes I did, no it is not a criminal referral and you changed the topic to something else in your last statement. You were speculating on the disclosure and a supposed 400k payment to Cohen that might, maybe was not fully disclosed.

That is what you do. Obfuscate and change the subject to your agenda.

Also known as lying.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes I did, no it is not a criminal referral and you changed the topic to something else in your last statement.

Why is it not.

You were speculating on the disclosure and a supposed 400k payment to Cohen that might, maybe was not fully disclosed.

That is what you do. Obfuscate and change the subject to your agenda.

Also known as lying.

I was not speculating. I was quoting Trump’s personal attorney.

One of us is lying here, that’s for sure. It’s you.