Trump Escalates in Syria

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It is both partiess fault. We got involved in 2012 under Obama and are continuing to escalate under Trump. Our policy of toppling govts and washing our hands of it is barbaric,

Certainly a better argument than what the OP offered.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Yes... but shooting down the Syrian aircraft is merely the beginning steps of what BOTH Trump and Hillary promised voters.
Both campaigns in 2016 vowed to establish a no fly zone.

Meanwhile...
Russia vows to shoot down all 'flying objects' in Syria
Communication channel between Washington and Moscow to be suspended immediately
War between the United States and Russian forces has now been promised.

What's the problem?
A no fly zone was proposed.
The Russians have volunteered to enforce it

Seems simple enough

Reactions: JSt0rm

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is one of the really bothersome things about this Russia collusion nonsense. Even if it were true playing it up like this is asinine. Do the left want war with Russia just so they can save some face after the election? If they believe Trump is unstable why are they continuing to prod him?
Probably for the same reason you prod them for prodding him, absolute certainty in your own moral beliefs.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
LOL blame dems because trump can't get his feelings hurt? Deflection! I don't like either side, but that is a lame ass argument. There has been enough valid things that at least warrant a look into whether there was collusion or not. Do I believe there likely was? Probably not, but to not even check after everything that has happened is asinine. Sorry I don't think Trump should get a "pass" because it might set him off. If he isn't guilty, then why keep throwing gas on the fire? Sit back and let it conclude that you did nothing wrong.

This never would had gone so far as to now be looking into obstruction without him going off the deep end /w his tweets and not shutting his fucking mouth... I fired him because of the Russia thing! Who is stupid enough to say that or do that?
I was only speaking as if what they said were true. Namely that Trump is as crazy as they say he is. Why push a crazy man who has access to nuclear weapons?

By all means look into interference but don't do it an undiplomatic manner just to gain political points because you lost an election.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The Russian Defense Ministry called American attacks against the Syrian forces “military aggression” and announced that it would suspend cooperation with the United States intended to prevent airborne accidents over Syria.

“All flying objects, including planes and drones of the international coalition, detected west of the Euphrates, will be followed by Russian air defense systems as targets,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.

“It is Russia that is being provoked most of all,” Mr. Klintsevich wrote in a Facebook post. “It seems that the United States under Donald Trump is the source of danger for the Middle East and the whole world on a qualitatively new level.”

The Russians see Trump as a greater threat than Obama. The Russians have drawn a line, I have little doubt that Trump will cross it and this shit will get real..... and over what?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/world/middleeast/russia-syria.html?_r=0

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
and over what?

The United States "leaders" have decided it'd be a great idea of carve out a nice little piece of Syria and give it to our "friends".
That's plan B, plan A was regime change but Russia stepped in and stopped that at the last minute.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The United States "leaders" have decided it'd be a great idea of carve out a nice little piece of Syria and give it to our "friends".
That's plan B, plan A was regime change but Russia stepped in and stopped that at the last minute.

I think regime change may back on the table. I am seeing articles where Trump is considering full-scale war with Iran as well.

US forces have opened fire on Iranian-backed forces in Syria three times in the past month, amid mounting tensions that observers and former officials worry could easily turn into an unplanned, spiralling conflict.

High-level contacts established between Washington and Tehran by the Obama administration have been cut off. From the White House, Donald Trump has maintained the fervently anti-Iranian rhetoric of his campaign. He made the first foreign trip of his presidency to Saudi Arabia, siding unambiguously with Riyadh in its rivalry with Tehran.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/18/donald-trump-syria-iran-isis-james-mattis

PS: I love Tusli Gabbard! I hope she runs for President.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
remember when the republicans voted to stop obama from doing all this before russia was really involved? I do.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Much ado about nothing. Trump is has Russian puppet strings on him. A lot of bluster to show the world that Russia and US/Trump leaders aren't in bed together.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think it is premature to assume that this presages a larger scale engagement with Assad's regime, or with Russia. There is little I would put past Trump, but I don't necessarily think we can assume it at this point. Also, as was pointed out on page 1, Trump probably didn't personally make the call to shoot down this plane.

There are things here which need to be investigated, regardless of what the investigation ultimately turns up. If Trump does terrible things in order to deflect from a necessary investigation, that is on him, not the people who are investigating, and not the people who support the investigation. I don't understand how Trump's bad foreign policy is anyone else's fault but his own.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
trump thinking we all think he is russians puppet could push him into war with russia. You know to show us he isnt russias puppet.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'll bet that King Trump wishes that news outlets would go back to focusing on his chocolate cake with ice cream days.:p

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
grrr ... and this is when stupid turns scary dangerous.
I'll bet that when he ran he didn't understand that transparency was required which exposes him to the world. Now that the veil has been pierced we can all see the plundering (insert your favorite word here:p) for what he is.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
So the US military is supposed to abandon it's allied forces when they are attacked?

"The Pentagon said the U.S.-led coalition took the unprecedented move after a Syrian Su-22 attack aircraft bombed its allies who were fighting Islamic State militants south of the city of Tabqah, roughly 25 miles west of Raqqah.

A U.S.-backed alliance of Kurdish and Arab militia fighters known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, or SDF, is involved in a large-scale offensive on Raqqah, Islamic State’s self-declared capital in Syria. Last month, the militia fighters clawed back Tabqah from Islamic State, but the Islamic State still holds sway in large swaths of the desert areas to the south."

Of course we shouldn't abandon our allies. Shooting down the Syrian SU-22 was in direct support of our partner forces. The bombing the SU22 performed on our partner forces was about 2.5 miles inside a deconfliction zone. The deconfliction hotline was called and used exactly as it was designed yet the Syrian SU-22 chose for whatever reason to ignore warnings.

Remember when the Russians said they were going to pull the plug on the deconfliction hotline after all those Tomahawk cruise missiles were launched at the airfield used to launch Syria's planes that would drop chemical weapons?
No way any blowback comes via a Russia under these circumstances. Russia only target's ISIS maybe 10% of their bombing and CAS sorties and that's barely enough to let the casual observer think Russia is their to fight the good fight rather than prop up the Assad regime so Russia can exert it's influence in the Middle East and continue operations of one of Russia's only warm water military bases on foreign soil. Russia can barely afford demand of dumb bombs their flying forces could be dropping and again we're talking dumb bombs probably found in some ammo depot in some forgotten corner of a shitty cold war era airfield in Belarus.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
And by "friends" do you mean the Kurds or referring to some other group?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is one of the really bothersome things about this Russia collusion nonsense. Even if it were true playing it up like this is asinine. Do the left want war with Russia just so they can save some face after the election? If they believe Trump is unstable why are they continuing to prod him?

If Trump is acting poorly due to these investigations that's his fault and his fault alone.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If Trump is acting poorly due to these investigations that's his fault and his fault alone.
I think about all of the interviews that Trump has done where he admits his wrongdoing, such as barging in on the little adolescent girls in the dressing room at the beauty pageant to see them undressed, and now he can't get away with running the country the same way. Thank you founding fathers for the foresight to institute checks and balances for such an occasion as this.