Trump doesn't want to be seen wearing a face mask, urges people to ignore CDC advice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don’t blame him, be weird having the president at a presser wearing a mask which likely isn’t needed.

I strongly disagree at this point. It sends a message to the populace about what they should be doing by example.

I mean even Xi is doing it.

Unknown.jpeg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
He urged America not to follow the CDC advice if they wanted. Pretty much a distinction without a difference.
It's like you don't know the meaning of "urges" as a verb. It's very different than (paraphrasing) "Wear one of you want. Maybe it will help. I choose not to wear it because I have to meet with political leaders and it would be weird."

I mean, what he said is COMPLETELY different than "urging" people to do a specific thing (not wear a mask).

He also said COVID-19 is no worse then the flu. That was a lie since scientists already knew that wasn't true.
Yes. What a fool. Do you remember how many fools were saying this bullshit back in January and February? Dozens of articles and "experts" comparing it to flu and saying the flu was worse. I was following this closely and I could only face-palm every time I encountered those. The bigger issue is, Trump should have had better information than someone like me. He didn't. He's a fucking fool, and he always has been.

He also said 15 cases would be down to 0 in a few days and scientists knew that wasn't true.
He was an absolute fool to even think "15" was anywhere close to the actual number. There was almost no testing at that point.

He also said "I acted early with a China travel ban" We've already proven in here that is another blatant lie.
He's obviously talking about travel restrictions announced at a time when China (and WHO, at the behest of China) were still saying not to. I mean, obviously.

Still that was clearly not enough. When I flew back from Thailand and arrived in Atlanta February 16, there was no screening at all. The virus was already spreading in Thailand. At least the airport in Istanbul had everyone walk past a thermal camera to see if anyone was running a fever.

I could list 30 more. Maybe the media needs to count all Trump's COVID-19 lies since they are costing American lives.

Why not? He's wrong about almost everything, regardless of this virus outbreak.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
When I was out yesterday ever 65 plus year old I saw was not wearing a face mask. Actually, I only saw maybe a few people wearing face mask.

Most people weren't wearing one.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I read the article but I didn't see where he "urged people to ignore CDC advice" as the OP said.

Reactions: Ichinisan
Feb 4, 2009
When I was out yesterday ever 65 plus year old I saw was not wearing a face mask. Actually, I only saw maybe a few people wearing face mask.

Most people weren't wearing one.

Totally different than my experience yesterday at the store, I estimate 2/3rds were wearing masks. I was thinking who has all these masks in their home?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Totally different than my experience yesterday at the store, I estimate 2/3rds were wearing masks. I was thinking who has all these masks in their home?

I think if people are out and not near anyone else, they might not opt to wear a mask. But when you know you're going to be around other people? Then definitely

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol, Trump just dunks on conservative voters non stop

The New York Times: Ignoring Expert Opinion, Trump Again Promotes Use of Hydroxychloroquine.

The worst is that The Dipshit in Chief is promoting taking medication prophylactically. There are no studies on prevention, there are definite side effects from long term use, and that is a sure way to guarantee a shortage should it prove helpful in treatment not to mention keeping it from patients who need it. Not to mention the fact that in promoting long term use of the antibiotic azithromycin he is accelerating the development of resistance which could make it ineffective if it turns out to be a beneficial part of a treatment regimen. There is already a lot of resistance from overuse to the extent that doctors can no longer prescribe it for pneumonia because of high resistance rates in this area. Get this POS of the stage.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'd wear a mask if there were any available.

Trump and Kushner are businessmen. They understand supply and demand in ways little people like us do not. They're holding all of the stockpiles and medical equipment in anticipation that it'll be worth more in another few weeks. They are playing the "Art of the Deal".

If Trump runs this distribution of stockpiles the way he runs his other businesses, he'll delay so he can get "TRUMP" printed in large gold letters on every piece of equipment and protective item and then hold onto them until after the crisis passes and then declare bankruptcy as a "sound business strategy" while boasting of how many billions he's worth even though no one gets to see his tax returns or accounting statements.

The only actual "deal" Trump has ever been good at is getting media attention, and they persist in giving him a platform for his bullshit even as his toxic lies literally threaten public health and safety.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Wearing face masks and China are totally different than the US

The culture of mask wearing in Asia is indeed different but one we need adopt post haste because it looks like a pretty good (if not perfect) idea.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The worst is that The Dipshit in Chief is promoting taking medication prophylactically. There are no studies on prevention, there are definite side effects from long term use, and that is a sure way to guarantee a shortage should it prove helpful in treatment not to mention keeping it from patients who need it. Not to mention the fact that in promoting long term use of the antibiotic azithromycin he is accelerating the development of resistance which could make it ineffective if it turns out to be a beneficial part of a treatment regimen. There is already a lot of resistance from overuse to the extent that doctors can no longer prescribe it for pneumonia because of high resistance rates in this area. Get this POS of the stage.

Yea, I saw that. He said that he has common sense. What a dope. Common sense? So, if I have an illness I'll go ask my neighbor WHO ISN'T A DOCTOR because he has common sense.

Trump is going to make this so much worse. When they look back 50 years from now they won't view Trump favorably.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Trump is going to make this so much worse. When they look back 50 years from now they won't view Trump favorably.

Dide, Trump's already made this worse.....present tense. Sure, it'll be much worse in the future given Trump's past and present response, but the "make this worse" is already upon us.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
There is this direct from Germany:

Translation: Google Translate:

"We did like everyone else and gave chloroquine to the patients in the beginning. There were test tube studies that showed that it had an effect on coronavirus and it was a drug we knew from the treatment of malaria, says Magnus Gisslén, professor and chief physician at the infection clinic at Sahlgrenska University Hospital / Östra.
But now he has made a complete reversal. Last week, all treatment with chloroquine was stopped against covid-19 in Sahlgrenska.

- There were reports of suspected more serious side effects than we first thought. We cannot rule out serious side effects, especially from the heart, and it is a hard-dosed drug. In addition, we have no strong evidence that chloroquine has an effect on covid-19."

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
I'm OK with that.

He can keep holding his rallies as well.

And, that is OK, since he has deemed all of this a hoax.

Reactions: Thump553

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I read the article, twice, but didnt see the quote where he urged Americans to also not follow the recommendation. Can someone quote it for me?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I read the article, twice, but didnt see the quote where he urged Americans to also not follow the recommendation. Can someone quote it for me?
You didn`t read the article once --
He could not see himself greeting "presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens" in the Oval Office while wearing one, he said.

He stressed that the guidance released on Friday was "voluntary".

"You do not have to do it," he said. "I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You didn`t read the article once --
He could not see himself greeting "presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens" in the Oval Office while wearing one, he said.

He stressed that the guidance released on Friday was "voluntary".

"You do not have to do it," he said. "I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

Well, it IS voluntary, is it not? Also, yes I read that, but he also said ""You don't have to do it," he said. "I'm choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it and that's OK. It may be good. Probably will."

Him saying he personally wont is not "urging people to not follow advise. Especially when he clearly said 1. its a choice, and 2. what I just quoted.

edit: Trump says enough stupid things..I dont understand the need to take quotes out of context or, in this case, make shit up.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Well, it IS voluntary, is it not? Also, yes I read that, but he also said ""You don't have to do it," he said. "I'm choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it and that's OK. It may be good. Probably will."

Him saying he personally wont is not "urging people to not follow advise. Especially when he clearly said 1. its a choice, and 2. what I just quoted.

edit: Trump says enough stupid things..I dont understand the need to take quotes out of context or, in this case, make shit up.
You said -- but didnt see the quote where he urged Americans to also not follow the recommendation. Can someone quote it for me?

Trump said -- "You do not have to do it," he said. "I don't think I'm going to be doing it." <--- Anytime you say -- you don`t have to do something, after it has been suggested that you do have or should do something -- that is considered to be urging Americans not to do it........

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Ok, I'll back up my statement by applying some pretty simple logic.

Government department recommends people take precautions. Trump downplays the precautions, and a leader should lead by example. Trump is saying he won't be taking the precaution, therefore that's what the people who listen to their leader will very likely do.

If he had even vaguely attempted to support the CDC then *maybe* one could lamely argue that he was taking a neutral position while also being informative (which would still be an extremely poor choice for a leader to take), but he didn't do that.

Also

And

And he's even told people that Coronavirus is a "hoax"!

As a side note I find it very odd that you'd "agree 100%" with my final conclusion in the OP while attempting to dispute the first statement. If anything the final statement is far more extremist.
The thread title is that Trump is urging people not to follow CDC guidelines regarding masks, which is objectively false.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You said -- but didnt see the quote where he urged Americans to also not follow the recommendation. Can someone quote it for me?

Trump said -- "You do not have to do it," he said. "I don't think I'm going to be doing it." <--- Anytime you say -- you don`t have to do something, after it has been suggested that you do have or should do something -- that is considered to be urging Americans not to do it........

Um...he stated a fact. You dont have to do it. Its voluntary. Im fairly certain english is your primary language...according to the dictionary, the meaning of urge is "try earnestly or persistently to persuade (someone) to do something.". He didnt do that. He simply said its a choice. And you purposefully ignored the rest of his quotes where he said he thought it was a good idea. Why did you do that?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Ok, I'll back up my statement by applying some pretty simple logic.

Government department recommends people take precautions. Trump downplays the precautions, and a leader should lead by example. Trump is saying he won't be taking the precaution, therefore that's what the people who listen to their leader will very likely do.

If he had even vaguely attempted to support the CDC then *maybe* one could lamely argue that he was taking a neutral position while also being informative (which would still be an extremely poor choice for a leader to take), but he didn't do that.

Also

And

And he's even told people that Coronavirus is a "hoax"!

As a side note I find it very odd that you'd "agree 100%" with my final conclusion in the OP while attempting to dispute the first statement. If anything the final statement is far more extremist.

You forgot the quote that he thought it was a good idea if people DID follow the recommendation. Why did you do that?