Trump doesn't know jack about the Civil War.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Slavery was economically viable ever since America was born. Entire economies were dependent on it and had been for generations. It was who we were. There was never any chance at all of things just "working out".

Might be good to remember that technology freed the industrial north from requiring slavery. Once that happened social change followed. The South however remained agrarian. Social changes like the emancipation of slaves always follows advancements in labor saving.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Might be good to remember that technology freed the industrial north from requiring slavery. Once that happened social change followed. The South however remained agrarian. Social changes like the emancipation of slaves always follows advancements in labor saving.
The invention of the cotton gin actually increased demand for slaves in the south.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The invention of the cotton gin actually increased demand for slaves in the south.

That's true. It's beyond tragic that no efficient means to harvest existed or the demand for the product was virtually the entire southern economy.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Maybe he wants a second civil war.
Okay, herd him & his Drumpfers together somewhere, maybe a golf course.. Then the rest of us will secede and live happily, peacefully, freely, and joyfully ever after.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Okay, herd him & his Drumpfers together somewhere, maybe a golf course.. Then the rest of us will secede and live happily, peacefully, freely, and joyfully ever after.
Anything red is up for grabs, Florida and Texas have plenty of room

Feb 16, 2005
Florida man has taken over the entire state.
welp then I gotsta trot out this oldie, but goodie
florida.gif

Reactions: Meghan54

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

No mystery why fair and balanced types always parrot conservative revisionist history. Unless by labor saving you mean slave revolts killing white owners to take a load off any just god.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I blame his parents. They should have insisted he learn to speak properly when growing up.

Maybe it's all part of a bold strategy? When the question gets asked, "what did he know and when did he know it", Trump can plausibly deny everything and many people will say, "he kind of has a point you know...". :p

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is rather more pathetic than it even seems on the surface. Trump's "interest" in Andrew Jackson can only be a function of Bannon's obsession with Jackson. Undoubtedly, Bannon, having read a bunch of books on Jackson, knows a few things about him. Trump, having read no books on Jackson or, well, pretty much anything, must have gotten his schtick about Jackson from Bannon. I can see Bannon giving Trump a mini disquisition on the merits of Jackson, and, sociopathic as his ideas may be, they are at least coherent and suggest at least superficial familiarity with the subject. The truly pathetic thing here is that Trump thinks he can sound really smart if he blathers about Jackson in public. I suppose Bannon is Trump's idea of an "intellectual." Trump likely intended to repeat something Bannon told him in private, but then he started fumbling and bumbling around, and well, you see the result.

What's really sad is I thought Bannon was starting to have less influence on him.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
This is rather more pathetic than it even seems on the surface. Trump's "interest" in Andrew Jackson can only be a function of Bannon's obsession with Jackson. Undoubtedly, Bannon, having read a bunch of books on Jackson, knows a few things about him. Trump, having read no books on Jackson or, well, pretty much anything, must have gotten his schtick about Jackson from Bannon. I can see Bannon giving Trump a mini disquisition on the merits of Jackson, and, sociopathic as his ideas may be, they are at least coherent and suggest at least superficial familiarity with the subject. The truly pathetic thing here is that Trump thinks he can sound really smart if he blathers about Jackson in public. I suppose Bannon is Trump's idea of an "intellectual." Trump likely intended to repeat something Bannon told him in private, but then he started fumbling and bumbling around, and well, you see the result.

What's really sad is I thought Bannon was starting to have less influence on him.

Did anyone really expect Trump to be any better given their experiences with his intellectual peers here?