Trump doesnt have a plan to fight the virus on purpose. He puts the onus onto the state governors to figure out how to move ahead to deflect blame

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Kind of lost in all this is that the decision to restart the economy isn't up to him. Governors, mayors, health officials, companies, individuals, etc all will be making their own decisions. No matter what he says there is little he can do to make them open up if they don't want to besides cutting off federal money in an extremely public way that's likely to backfire politically. Now he could have acted to stand up a testing and tracking regime that would provide the confidence required to partially restart the economy but he's decided not to do that because he's a monumentally lazy idiot with malicious motivations.
What if because things are so fucked we get a red state/blue state response to Trump's reopen? Cases could spike in red states. I could also see blue state Govs closing their borders from certain states.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What if because things are so fucked we get a red state/blue state response to Trump's reopen? Cases could spike in red states. I could also see blue state Govs closing their borders from certain states.

This tweet encapsulates the incredible stupidity of what he's saying. Everything he is doing here, every last thing, has nothing to do with helping people and has everything to do with reducing his share of the blame as much as possible.

Hey Trumpkins, he doesn't care if you die or if people you know and love die. The only thing he cares about is if people think it wasn't his fault.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh so the guy charged with running the entire state with by far the worst outbreak is a shoe in for president? I guess the answer is none according to the Democrats.

Funny how that works. Also funny how you guys are willing to overlook a rapist, with dementia, and having used his position of power to enrich his drug addict son.
You are asking the wrong question. Both are responsible for their response. Cuomo, NY. Trump The United States

The question is did said leader do everything within their power and in a timely fashion to mitigate and treat the threat? For Trump the answer is a resounding NO!! That is your difference.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
We know minorities are dying at a much higher rate than whites right now. Maybe Trump's re-election strategy is to kill off brown people.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Trump's Plan (aka Putin's Plan): fuck things up... for decades to come.

The only silver lining in all of this is that we've realized that our dependence on China screwed us over... much like how our dependence on oil and foreign oil has screwed us over (say, when are we getting off of that...?).

But, nothing will come of if. China has been delivering inferior and hazardous products to us for about 4 decades now. No one has said or done anything - other than Trump's tariffs (and, how has that weened us off China?).

I hope we can finally wake up and actually move away from China.

And, no, as a Libatard I never wanted China to be given the reigns on our manufacturing (nor did I ever push for allowing Chinese people to cough on me - that was a claim from MANY conservatives). The push and drive to use China is a conservative and capitalist thing. Republicans are also the ones eager to get us back in front of someone sick as well.

We can manufacture here in the US. Conservatives don't want to, because their corporate constituents will no longer be making 80 to 90% profits off of products.. instead, it will be... GASP... 30 to 40%!! That's why we are using China, for massive profits - nothing more.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump's Plan (aka Putin's Plan): fuck things up... for decades to come.

The only silver lining in all of this is that we've realized that our dependence on China screwed us over... much like how our dependence on oil and foreign oil has screwed us over (say, when are we getting off of that...?).

But, nothing will come of if. China has been delivering inferior and hazardous products to us for about 4 decades now. No one has said or done anything - other than Trump's tariffs (and, how has that weened us off China?).

I hope we can finally wake up and actually move away from China.

And, no, as a Libatard I never wanted China to be given the reigns on our manufacturing (nor did I ever push for allowing Chinese people to cough on me - that was a claim from MANY conservatives). The push and drive to use China is a conservative and capitalist thing. Republicans are also the ones eager to get us back in front of someone sick as well.

We can manufacture here in the US. Conservatives don't want to, because their corporate constituents will no longer be making 80 to 90% profits off of products.. instead, it will be... GASP... 30 to 40%!! That's why we are using China, for massive profits - nothing more.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'Trump's Plan'. I agree Putin's plan was to sow as much chaos in the US as possible but Trump's plan only does that incidentally.

Trump just wants to feel important, reward those who toady to him, and punish those who don't while stealing as much money as possible from the government. It turns out having a president who only cares about those things does fuck things up royally but I really do think that's a secondary effect.

I'm very confident Trump WANTS to be a good president and would like nothing better than for the US to do well under him (as it would feed his ego). The problem is his lack of ability and severe mental illness prevents him from doing that, therefore we get this.

Reactions: Meghan54

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It's almost as if Cuomo pays attention to the data and his medical experts. Notice how he hasn't given a specific date other than "ASAP". And when he says that, he means that it has to be smart, safe, and simultaneously accounting for both the public health and economic interests.

Everything I've said here is directly from his press conferences. I watch them, even though I don't live in NY, because he's actually a competent leader.
And its not hard to figure out... which is why buckys responses here tell a weird fckin story... You know. Unless.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The people who do not see this as a failure of leadership seem to have a few rationales...

1. this is being over hyped to hurt Trump. Throw the rest of the conspiracy theorists, incuding the ones that think this is a man-made virus into this category.

2. All the criticism is Monday morning quarterbacking and 20/20 hindsight. There is no way anyone could have known or done better. Throw in the folks who somehow think that China lying to us somehow excuses our negligence.

3. Trump is actually doing a fine job. After all he restricted travel with China back in January and that's all you need to know, and the death toll is only going to be like 100K.

4. This is actually Obama's fault for some reason. And besides... people died during the swine flue pandemic of 2009 under Obama.

5. The response was a delicate balance between lives and the economy, the cure would have been worse than the disease if he acted more proactively.

6. Rationales that otherwise display a significant lack of understanding of the facts, math, science or both.

Trump's inability to react during a crisis have cost us lives and treasure.

This was his 3 am call and he hit the snooze button for close to 2 months.

I laugh...and shudder when the righties call the MSM fake news...then snuggle up to the "Alternative Facts" people like this.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Maybe they can raid that generous 401K plan you set up for them...
Perhaps they could, though there would be a serious tax burden involved in doing so.
The "tough shit" school of thought isn't going to help anyone, and while it was clearly intended as a cheap shot at me, it does display your basic thinking: I'm alright, fuck everyone else. Luckley for the people that work for me, I don't share that attitude.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Oh so the guy charged with running the entire state with by far the worst outbreak is a shoe in for president? I guess the answer is none according to the Democrats.

Funny how that works. Also funny how you guys are willing to overlook a rapist, with dementia, and having used his position of power to enrich his drug addict son.
Are you sure your not an alt account by our favorite aracnid??

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
cf878eb9-005d-437b-8cbf-4a2ae1aad9ab_text.gif

Trump reminds me so much of this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are you sure your not an alt account by our favorite aracnid??
Even if everything he is accusing Biden of is true if he thinks those things are bad how is Trump any better?

Rape? Check.
Dementia? Check.
Nepotism? Check.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Perhaps they could, though there would be a serious tax burden involved in doing so.
The "tough shit" school of thought isn't going to help anyone, and while it was clearly intended as a cheap shot at me, it does display your basic thinking: I'm alright, fuck everyone else. Luckley for the people that work for me, I don't share that attitude.

That was a bit snarkey, I suppose. I occasionally mix you up with Glenn1. The tax penalty doesn't apply atm, so you might tell your guys about it-

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You are asking the wrong question. Both are responsible for their response. Cuomo, NY. Trump The United States

The question is did said leader do everything within their power and in a timely fashion to mitigate and treat the threat? For Trump the answer is a resounding NO!! That is your difference.
Given that NY is the epicenter and having a comparative different result from other states, the answer is, probably not.

You're deflecting away from the fact that we need national leadership. All we get are daily word salad briefings. Think of them as mini Trump rallies.
Not deflecting away from it. We need national and local leadership to combat this thing. The federal government can set policy, guidelines and provide economic relief, but promoting and enforcing shelter in place guidelines is better managed by the states.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Assuming you’ve provided your staff with a 401k and matching funds to help them build a decent balance they can use that money now and pay it back over three years without penalty.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Given that NY is the epicenter and having a comparative different result from other states, the answer is, probably not.

Not deflecting away from it. We need national and local leadership to combat this thing. The federal government can set policy, guidelines and provide economic relief, but promoting and enforcing shelter in place guidelines is better managed by the states.
So in other words you’re saying the quality of response by government affects the result?