Trump does it again - North Korea constructing new missiles after that historic summit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And..what the hell happened to Pompeo. I thought he was somewhat CIA, neutral, level headed and pragmatic. Now just he's a zombified tool for Agent Orange. He's such a damn lightweight that the last time he went to "negotiate" with Kim, he got blown off so Kim could inspect some potato plants.
Clearly Kim has a lot of respect for the great deal maker. MAGA bitches!!

Jan 25, 2011
well there's Trump's way out. He thinks the US intelligence community is garbage anyway, maybe he should ask the FSB or GRU for confirmation.
That’s essentially the angle I’m seeing in response to this on right wing sites. It’s unnamed sources so it’s fake. And if it’s real at least he tried and gave NK nothing.

Completely ignoring the actual real world implications of alienating more allies in that region and legitimizing the regime.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
That's what you do after you successfully build and test a nuclear deterrent. You are negotiating from a position of strength. After that, you maintain your deterrent while extracting concessions. NK is maintaining (or upgrading) their deterrent. NK have extracted concessions.

Have they given Trump any concessions? Nope, not that I can see. Trump is too cowardly to tell the public the terms of his "deal", so there's no way to know what he asked for.

If they believed that they were going to have to dismantle their nuclear program, they would invest their military resources in other things that would survive the "denuclearization" pledge. They aren't doing that because what dealing with Trump has taught them is that the more nuclear power they have, the more that Trump will give them while getting nothing in return.

As a critic of Trump, my criticism isn't that I want his initiative to fail. Far from it. My criticism is there's no substance to his initiative whatsoever. The interpretation of continued activity is that it takes time for weapons development to roll to a stop. That's not unreasonable, but the problem is that this is also how it looks when there's no substantive agreement or intent to stop anything.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yep..he thinks he can win with his "great deal making " . Winning, art of the deal, the great dealmaker. He creates a disastrous situation, says only he can fix it, has a bullshit "summit" that's all smoke and mirrors, declares a win, and then makes it even worse.

Why meet with Iran when they've just taken what was the best negotiating tool (the Iran deal) off the table? Is Trump going to meet with Iran just to promise he won't bomb Tehran...yet? Trump said he's willing to meet with Iran's leader without any pre-conditions. Hey, this cluster with North Korea shows that Trump is willing to meet without even having any post-conditions!

Pompeo looked it up on Wikipedia and was able to reassure Trump that while Iran has elections, the person he'd be meeting would be a dictator. So it's all good for him.

And..what the hell happened to Pompeo. I thought he was somewhat CIA, neutral, level headed and pragmatic. Now just he's a zombified tool for Agent Orange. He's such a damn lightweight that the last time he went to "negotiate" with Kim, he got blown off so Kim could inspect some potato plants.
Seems they aren't on the same page. I'm soo surprised.
https://www.businessinsider.com/pom...ons-for-iran-talks-contradicting-trump-2018-7

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Will the preconditions be preposterous (kill your sons and send us your beautiful women)? Will they be largely what Iran already agreed to in the agreement the U.S. walked away from for no good reason? Inquiring minds inquire.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If one were to give up nuclear weapons, conventional arms would take a boost to "make up the difference".
Missiles are not just nuclear.

Jan 25, 2011
If one were to give up nuclear weapons, conventional arms would take a boost to "make up the difference".
Missiles are not just nuclear.
I’m sorry are you suggesting they are working on more intercontinental ballistic missiles for conventional weapons? And that we should assume it is?

Recent history says a big no to both of those. No country would assume they were nonnuclear and they’d never know until impact. That and their targeting isn’t anywhere near sufficient to make it a viable option for anything more than a nuisance strike. Meanwhile the second one launches the sun makes a visit to NK.