Trump complains about steak

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Some folks like their beef aged, almost to the point of it stinking before they cook it. I'm sure they were doing Trump a favor by selling his businesses more flavorful meat.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If I was served a well done steak I would probably put ketchup on it also, only way to make it slightly edible.
Ketchup bottles aren't standard in so called "fine dining" restaurants, but foremost, I'd send the damn thing back.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Some folks like their beef aged, almost to the point of it stinking before they cook it. I'm sure they were doing Trump a favor by selling his businesses more flavorful meat.
Not so much the produce for the salad or sides. Fresh is key there.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Feb 4, 2009
Here's even more weird shit about the orange menace.
Ketchup bottles had to also go "pop", in front of the menace.
Along with some weird cosplay with his diet cokes.

He is a germ phobe totally makes sense.
While I can’t cite specifics he has spoken about similar things with Howard Stern. The man is fascinating in a lot of ways. He has opinions about everything, even tiny petty things like how to design a limo or what fast food to eat and why. I think he had opinions about which fast food places have the best napkins but my memory is a bit fuzzy on this.
His best stuff was about Women, I remember his rant about Hollywood actresses aren’t super hot looking, they all try too hard. The super hot women are working at Nordstrom’s or the coffee place.
I think he rated Angelina Jolie a 7 this was during Angelina’s peak.

Feb 4, 2009
I work for a foodservice distributor so let me chime in here, what they got was not technically "rotten" produce but more like the oldest they had on hand. You can also tell to a degree the amount of "marbling" a particular primal cut of mesat has, (striploin, ribeye, shortloin, ect.) while it's still in it's vacuum bag, the selectors knew it was going to trump's hotel by the printout pick label and selected the least desirable marbling possible.

Going way off topic explain the meat age and marbling thing. I have trouble selecting marbled meat. I want to make a pot roast this week maybe I can learn something today.
Should I be looking for fresher beef possible or older beef or something that appears marbled regardless of age?Sounds dumb but I have a ton of problems selecting the right cut of beef. Sometimes it looks nicely marbled but it turns out tough and chewy other times it doesn’t. I would like to be able to consistently pick out a good cut of beef for stews and grilling.

Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Going way off topic explain the meat age and marbling thing. I have trouble selecting marbled meat. I want to make a pot roast this week maybe I can learn something today.
Just look for fat layers inside the meat, a chuck-based cut usually makes a great pot roast. If you want lean look at round-based roasts, you will nee to use a liquid-based braising method in all cases and cook at a low and long temp to give the liquid a chance to tenderize the meat.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Aging beef improvs flavor and tenderness, it has to be done in a controlled space for temperature and humidity and when it's ready the exterior of the primal cut, (short-loin, bone in ribeye, sirloin, strip-loin) has to be trimmed to remove the exterior layer. Since a portion of the cut is lost and due to the slight dehydration the cut will now weigh less, this is why genuinely aged beef is so crazy expensive and not sold in typical grocery stores.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Today I learned that some of the best beef actually rocks Omega 3 and 6 fats ... wtf!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
These suppliers were so proud of selling tainted food that they told a reporter about it? And no one in the restaurant noticed? The chief would cook and serve tainted food because he couldn't tell the difference between fresh and rotten meat? And all of this was supposed to be amusing?
Your outrage is now documented. Btw, how much did you contribute to his "Stop the Steak" fund? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just look for fat layers inside the meat, a chuck-based cut usually makes a great pot roast. If you want lean look at round-based roasts, you will nee to use a liquid-based braising method in all cases and cook at a low and long temp to give the liquid a chance to tenderize the meat.
Chuck, the real steak. I love pot roast. And I'm pissed that Costco didn't have their 1/3 lb 70/30 Angus Chuck burgers anymore. Just bought a stack of 80/20 grass fed. Hope they taste like beef.
EDIT: As a matter of fact, I'm having my 3rd meal of my left over pot roast tonight. mit carrots, potatoes, and celery.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Chuck, the real steak. I love pot roast. And I'm pissed that Costco didn't have their 1/3 lb 70/30 Angus Chuck burgers anymore. Just bought a stack of 80/20 grass fed. Hope they taste like beef.
EDIT: As a matter of fact, I'm having my 3rd meal of my left over pot roast tonight. mit carrots, potatoes, and celery.
Everything is kinda dicey with the pandemic and horrible winter weather, our Tyson truck was 3 days late last week.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If I was served a well done steak I would probably put ketchup on it also, only way to make it slightly edible.
I had to take over all grilling when I eat at my in-laws house because they cook everything so far past well done that not even barbecue sauce can make it edible. When I grill burgers, I do 4 minutes high, 8 minutes medium to get a medium to medium-well burger. I cook theirs for an extra 4 minutes on high and push all the juice out multiple times and they always talk about how good I cook their burgers (barf).

They actually complain that my thanksgiving turkeys have too much moisture in them, how can turkey breast be too moist?

Anyways, I digress, except I don't get why the well-done thing seems to be a more conservative thing.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I personally like ground Sirloin for burgers. It is lean, but still has a lot of flavor. Much better than "lean ground beef." I think it holds it's own against 80/20.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Here's even more weird shit about the orange menace.
Ketchup bottles had to also go "pop", in front of the menace.
Along with some weird cosplay with his diet cokes.

Liking Diet Coke is even worse than eating steaks well done with ketchup. That shit is so disgusting I can't even think of anything to compare Diet Coke to, only thing I can say about it is I have to spit it out if I take a swig.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Blech and Tootsie Rolls too? I would just throw those away from my Halloween candy, couldn't even trade those for shit at school the next day.