Trump Complains About Not Having His Own National Holiday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
However, Trump did get more tax revenue while also reducing taxes. https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/trump-tax-cuts-federal-revenues-deficits/

That is a significant feat.

No, it isn't. In a situation with economic and population growth federal tax revenues will increase every year even with significant tax cuts. What would be impressive is if tax cuts spurred enough growth to reduce deficits. Unfortunately here Trump's tax cuts did basically nothing to promote growth and blew a huge hole in the deficit. This is one of the reasons why they were a failure.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Mar 11, 2004
No, it isn't. In a situation with economic and population growth federal tax revenues will increase every year even with significant tax cuts. What would be impressive is if tax cuts spurred enough growth to reduce deficits. Unfortunately here Trump's tax cuts did basically nothing to promote growth and blew a huge hole in the deficit. This is one of the reasons why they were a failure.

Turmp supporters know how horrible the tax cuts were/are, they know how awful his deficits are, they know how terrible all his economic policies are. But the reason they keep touting his (shitty) business practices is because they think he'll be able to pull that but for the country, where he'll somehow convince the rest of the world to take the hit and declare bankruptcy for the US and come out with no debt.

They'll regurgitate the shit they're being told to by right wing media because they're just trying to stymie people spreading the reality, but deep down, that's why they have faith that Turmp's economic policies are not a problem and that he really is some master businessman. They think he's failed upwards and really is some next level financial strategist.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
Turmp supporters know how horrible the tax cuts were/are, they know how awful his deficits are, they know how terrible all his economic policies are. But the reason they keep touting his (shitty) business practices is because they think he'll be able to pull that but for the country, where he'll somehow convince the rest of the world to take the hit and declare bankruptcy for the US and come out with no debt.

They'll regurgitate the shit they're being told to by right wing media because they're just trying to stymie people spreading the reality, but deep down, that's why they have faith that Turmp's economic policies are not a problem and that he really is some master businessman. They think he's failed upwards and really is some next level financial strategist.

I'll regurgitate some liberal shit. Here is the liberal spin.

"American taxpayers paid over $90 billion more under Trump tax law"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amer...ore-to-irs-under-trump-tax-law-194900782.html

If you get beyond the misleading headline. What they should have said was that there was 93 billion more tax revenue even after the tax cut.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
So, uhh, which is greater- the tax cut giveaway or the bump in revenue from the rich cashing in on lower rates?

The tax cut law dream occurred. Where tax cuts were applied and federal revenue increased. That sounds like a win-win. Any other scenario is simply a what if.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And where was that 93 billion more tax revenue spent?

Golf trips?

This is exactly why I created a thread about Trump's tax cuts paying for themselves months back. That thread went over well here, liars gotta protect their bubbles. Trump has LOWER deficits than Obama, we took in higher tax revenue after his cuts than before thanks to how much growth we're seeing with the red hot Trump economy, and people got to keep more of what they earned. It really goes to show just how great the Trump economy is. Our economy is growing enough that everybody wins.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'll regurgitate some liberal shit. Here is the liberal spin.

"American taxpayers paid over $90 billion more under Trump tax law"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amer...ore-to-irs-under-trump-tax-law-194900782.html

If you get beyond the misleading headline. What they should have said was that there was 93 billion more tax revenue even after the tax cut.

The appropriate question is what revenues were compared to baseline law before the cuts and indexing for inflation. When you do that tax receipts were down by $83 billion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/business/trump-tax-cuts-revenue.html

No responsible, nonpartisan analysis ever thought these tax cuts would increase revenues so I'm not sure why you're trying to make that claim now. It's nonsense.

After adjusting, it looks even worse. Revenues fell by 2.7 percent — or $83 billion — from 2017. Contrast that with the last time economic growth approached 3 percent, back in 2015. The economy grew by 2.9 percent after adjusting for inflation that year — and tax revenues grew by 7 percent.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is exactly why I created a thread about Trump's tax cuts paying for themselves months back. That thread went over well here, liars gotta protect their bubbles. Trump has LOWER deficits than Obama, we took in higher tax revenue after his cuts than before thanks to how much growth we're seeing with the red hot Trump economy, and people got to keep more of what they earned. It really goes to show just how great the Trump economy is. Our economy is growing enough that everybody wins.

We know you created a thread where you lied about Trump's tax cuts paying for themselves. Remember how we all made fun of you about it? Your basic argument was that if tax receipts were projected to go up by $100 billion next year, we then pass a tax cut, when revenues go up $90 billion less than projected ($10B) that the tax cuts still paid for themselves because revenues went up. This is some sort of 6th grade math failure.

Liars do have to protect their bubbles though, that much is right.

As for Trump's deficits:

NA-CM528_FISCAL_9U_20161127181206.jpg

Trump is on his way to having deficits as high during a good economy as Obama had during a catastrophic financial crisis. This is the exact opposite of smart government finance. What's really going to be amazing is when we do have another downturn you'll see deficits explode to a level never before seen. I'm sure at that point conservatives will not see this as a sign that Trump's tax cuts were a stupid idea, they'll see that it means we need to cut Social Security.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Trump's deficits are lower than Obama's. Look at 2010, compare to 2018. It is not even that close.

10.16.18.png

Did you forget the $700 billion auto industry jobs bailout and infrastructure spending to get out of the great recession?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump's deficits are lower than Obama's. Look at 2010, compare to 2018. It is not even that close.

10.16.18.png

So I want to be clear, you think it is smart to compare federal deficits during the greatest financial calamity in any of our lifetimes to the deficits in a 'red hot' economy?

Have you ever in your life opened an economics textbook or maybe even walked down the aisle of a bookstore that contained them?

Reactions: Meghan54

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So I want to be clear, you think it is smart to compare federal deficits during the greatest financial calamity in any of our lifetimes to the deficits in a 'red hot' economy?

Have you ever in your life opened an economics textbook or maybe even walked down the aisle of a bookstore that contained them?
It's always entertaining to watch Slow try to argue against someone that can read above a 2nd grade level.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I like my national holidays to be in honor of someone who doesn't have shit for brains.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Did you forget the $700 billion auto industry jobs bailout and infrastructure spending to get out of the great recession?

No, that is spending that helped cause the deficit. What is your point? That's like me saying did you forget about the costs that contribute to our federal spending due to the crisis at the border.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I am entirely unsurprised that an authoritarian President who violates his Oath of Office in ways unprecedented insists that Obama would have gotten a day off even though he didn't. Also is that someone agrees with this although Obama didn't get a holiday and ignores flagrant violations of law and holding himself above other branches to get his way and justifies with problematic claims about deficits. Thirty pieces of silver? Maybe not even that much.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
No, that is spending that helped cause the deficit. What is your point? That's like me saying did you forget about the costs that contribute to our federal spending due to the crisis at the border.

Except that spending was bipartisan and done under Bush in 2008 at the height of the great depression which his own treasury secretary Hank Paulson begged for..

The crisis at the border is Trump's fault. The democrats have never agreed to join in the fiasco. The law is clear.. and any administration does not have the right to circumvent the law.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

By your own logic, when the dems increased taxes (more accurately let tax cuts for the rich expire), they too also generated more revenue and grew the economy.

Are you now for raising taxes or is your little brain capable of understanding that a growing economy will always have more tax revenue than the year before it?

See if you can spot the tend lines and tell us if you think they stayed the same from Obama to trump or if they got better or worse.

1560230153500.jpeg

(fyi, the site that hosts this image is laughable as they make claims that the graphs clearly disprove).

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Trump is right, the leftist fake news media coddled Obama's balls but whines about Trump at every turn.
Golly geewiz!! I really needed a laugh!! You should give up your day job as a shill for Trump and become a comedian!!! hahahahahahahaaaaa