Trump/Cohen Felonies: Senate Republicans shrug shoulders

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The self-proclaimed party of law and order is now the party that is only for law and order as long as it doesn't apply to Dear Leader. Some notable quotes:
(William) CASSIDY: If you phrase it, “Am I concerned that the president might be involved in a crime?” — of course. The question is then whether or not this so-called “hush money” is a crime.”​
(Orrin) HATCH: I don’t care, all I can say is he is doing a good job as president. ... I don’t think he was involved in crimes but even then, you know, you can make anything a crime under the current laws if you want to.​
Orrin Hatch also said that the prosecution believed a liar and since Cohen is a liar then Dear Leader is in the clear. If you follow that line of thought through to its logical conclusion, Orrin is saying that Justice Department prosecutors believe a liar isn't a liar. Orrin sure doesn't think much of the Trump Justice Department prosecutors, does he? Old Orrin also said the payments were made before Dear Leader was elected, again putting him in the clear. He also sagely opined that the economy is doing great under Dear Leader and he really doesn't want to rock that boat.

Shorter Republican Party: The laws don't apply to us.

Look at the way they went after BENGHAZI! and Hillary's EMAILS! and compare that to this situation. The reality is that these craven cowards are more interested in retaining their positions of power than even consider holding the President and leader of their party accountable for his crimes. Law and order my ass, these craven cowards fear angering their supporters at home, meaning that if their supporters want them to support covering up for the President's crimes then that's what they are going to do. Party over nation, baby! Fuck law and order!

Portraits of Cowardice, all of them. History will not be kind to them but in order for that history to be accurately recorded, the rest of us voters need to stop them.

Reactions: Linux23

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The term hypocrisy is having to be constantly redefined due to the increasing level of severity the Repubs are having to employ toward passing their wealthy folks only welfare legislation and especially so toward defending Trump.

Ridiculous, absurd, horrifically awry......can't think of a word that aptly describes what the Repub Party has devolved into because Trump and his cult following now lords over their party of "Law and Order". lol

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Law and order my ass, these craven cowards fear angering their supporters at home, meaning that if their supporters want them to support covering up for the President's crimes then that's what they are going to do. Party over nation, baby! Fuck law and order!

Portraits of Cowardice, all of them. History will not be kind to them but in order for that history to be accurately recorded, the rest of us voters need to stop them.

How can the party of moral virtue be the party of moral cowardliness? Do you imagine they see themselves as moral cowards. Did you see how Hatch made the claim that anything can be made a crime in the current state of the law. Do you think he is viewing the state of the law as one in which justice is present? The problem with conservatives in my opinion is that they fear the consequences of being immoral so much more than liberals do, that morality is so much more an issue to them than it is to liberals and in so many more areas of applicability, that to see themselves as immoral carries for them far greater fears of impropriety. Their reputations and self image, their need to see themselves as good, makes it far more difficult for them to self reflect than it is for liberals. This is because conservatives and their traditional values are to a far greater extent than for liberals, inculcated to violence and fear. Traditional values in our sick Christian culture, not the true Christian culture of forgiveness, is instilled on the basis of the threat of hellfire and damnation. Thus, the divide between the psyche between what are human urges that are thought to be taboo and proper behavior are for conservatives far more schizophrenic in nature. They are moral cowards because they have far far more moral fear. The result is that they are far far far more inclined to rationalize any fault away so they don't subject themselves to their own contempt for evil. They are, in the area of morality more deeply sick than liberals. They are moral cowards all right but I think this is the reason.

And, of course, when liberals see this they immediately condemn them as moral cowards and cause all of this to trigger. Any real evolution in the state of their sickness will require an unwinding of self condemnatory stigma.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The term hypocrisy is having to be constantly redefined due to the increasing level of severity the Repubs are having to employ toward passing their wealthy folks only welfare legislation and especially so toward defending Trump.

Ridiculous, absurd, horrifically awry......can't think of a word that aptly describes what the Repub Party has devolved into because Trump and his cult following now lords over their party of "Law and Order". lol
Hehe, I saw somebody in the media say, Irony is dead.

Reactions: tweaker2

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Here's some more Orrin:

"Since he's become president this economy has charged ahead," Hatch said, adding, "And I think we ought to judge him on that basis other than trying to drum up things from the past that may or may not be true."

In Republican Land a Republican President is only judged by how well the economy is doing because money. Maybe they can call this new standard Trumps Law.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Orrin Hatch's rationale presumes that Trump is not a liar. Patently false assumption. The correct analysis is, given contradictory testimony from two proven liars (one who has confessed and purports to have seen the light) which do you find more credible in the totality of the evidence?

Hatch (and others) instead is blindly backing his sugar daddy until the bitter end.

One more reason why the GOP is the greatest single threat to the United States today-even including migrant "invasions" and terrorist threats-for their reactions to those are far worse than the original threat. We are well onto the way to sham elections and a permanent minority rule.

Reactions: Linux23

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I really don't see what the big deal is. Trump has claimed that he has no involvement in any of this kind of stuff. He has always seemed like a decent and honest man, I don't see why we can't just take him at his word.

ok done barfing now .... Fuck Trump.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Sooooooooo... Kelly is out and Trump cant find a replacement.. latest rumor is that Newt is in play.
I hope
I hope
I hope
I hope that Hannity gets it! I cant even funny more.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
How about another Orrin quote:

Committing crimes of moral turpitude such as perjury and obstruction of justice go to the heart of qualification for public office. These offenses were committed by the chief executive of our country, the individual who swore to faithfully execute the laws of the United States. This great nation can tolerate a President who makes mistakes. But it cannot tolerate one who makes a mistake and then breaks the law to cover it up. Any other citizen would be prosecuted for these crimes.

Oops, that was Orrin talking about Bill Clinton lying about getting a blow job. I now understand that it was a crime because it wasn't a Republican President getting it.

Sooooooooo... Kelly is out and Trump cant find a replacement.. latest rumor is that Newt is in play.
I hope
I hope
I hope
I hope that Hannity gets it! I cant even funny more.

If he's down to Noot then Hair Furor has tipped the barrel over and is now scraping crap off of the bottom of it. I think Ted Nugent would be a fine candidate for him to consider. David Duke is another possibility.

Reactions: dank69

skooma

Apr 13, 2006
It's all deep state conspiracy, after all.
i jabbed a few trumptardian friends via text yesterday after the Cohen sentencing and the first reply I got was 'Comey said he didn't know 250x in his testimony' followed by some Whitey Bulger/uranium one/clinton mash up.
smfh.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I'm just going to post this, partly for the shrug, and partly as a prediction for the GOP's doings of late.

Dec 10, 2005
Orrin Hatch also said that the prosecution believed a liar and since Cohen is a liar then Dear Leader is in the clear. If you follow that line of thought through to its logical conclusion, Orrin is saying that Justice Department prosecutors believe a liar isn't a liar. Orrin sure doesn't think much of the Trump Justice Department prosecutors, does he? Old Orrin also said the payments were made before Dear Leader was elected, again putting him in the clear. He also sagely opined that the economy is doing great under Dear Leader and he really doesn't want to rock that boat.

Shorter Republican Party: The laws don't apply to us.
Don't you know? The Party of Personal Responsibility is always about shifting responsibility to other people.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Here's some more Orrin:

In Republican Land a Republican President is only judged by how well the economy is doing because money. Maybe they can call this new standard Trumps Law.

I won't patiently wait for Orrin and other republicans to hold Trump and themselves responsible for the deficit chasm that they have created, and the disastrous recession that they have steered us towards.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The degeneration of the GOP and conservatism in general is pretty much complete. Their national politicians explicitly don't care if their team breaks the law. State level politicians are using tactics to carve out permanent minority rule that would be at home in Eastern European countries we used to look down on. Their fiscal conservatism is a sham. Adherence to fairness and the law entirely transactional in the name of political power. This is an organism without shame or remorse and it's finally free of any hint of pretense so judge it accordingly.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The degeneration of the GOP and conservatism in general is pretty much complete. Their national politicians explicitly don't care if their team breaks the law. State level politicians are using tactics to carve out permanent minority rule that would be at home in Eastern European countries we used to look down on. Their fiscal conservatism is a sham. Adherence to fairness and the law entirely transactional in the name of political power. This is an organism without shame or remorse and it's finally free of any hint of pretense so judge it accordingly.

I have to credit Trump for laying bare what has previous to his arrival at the West Wing been the "unspoken truth" about the party that enshrines the principle of trickle down wealth hoarding by the aristocrat class, about the party's duplicitous exploitation of their willingly duped constituency, about their promising to uplift the lives of their working class stiffs while they did/do their utmost to shovel the nation's wealth into the hands of the few whose wealth far exceeds their needs.

With Trump as their useful idiot rubber stamping his approval on their welfare for the wealthy legislation, the GOP went hog wild from the pent up lust for looting the treasury in the name of Reagan due to Obama frustratingly holding them in check for eight long years.

The GOP didn't care how they were perceived in their assault on the treasury, they didn't care how they looked when they went after the ACA, they didn't give not even a second's thought about how blatant they were about siding with the very wealthy even as they followed Trump down the path of treachery and hollow promises that gave them the support they needed from their totally brain fvcked base.

They actually admitted they were going to suffer for their overzealous, overreaching rampage they wrought on the nation and they didn't care then. They're beyond ecstatic that Trump is taking all the heat off of them for the hugely successful ripoff they committed against the middle class and the poor.

They won, the very wealthy won, Putin won, Kim Jong Un won, every dictator the world over won and all of this at the expense of blue collar America who are footing the bill that the GOP just laid at their feet.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hatch is the perfect guy to send up a trial balloon because he's retiring. The GOP can disown anything he says if it doesn't fly.

The rest of the GOP Senators are doing their dead level best to avoid saying anything at all about it. They have some time to figure out how they'll play it. They really don't have to do anything until the wicked Nancy puts a writ of impeachment in their inbox. I doubt we'll see that until late February, at the earliest.

I'm sure their psy-ops guys are working up alternative PR campaigns depending on which way they go. If throwing Trump from the train is what they decide to do then they'll need a way to mollify their base. If they decide otherwise then they have to deal with the wrath of the rest of America in 2020.

Decent human beings wouldn't let themselves get in that position, anyway, so I have zero sympathy for their predicament.