Trump claims the country is "full"..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I'd move to that country that banned assault weapons the day after they had a mass shooting.
I know, it was New Zealand.
Anyone know much about New Zealand?
Other than they banned assault weapons?

Donald Trump has this idea that he can make America the good ole white America like in the 1950's.
Thing is, America never was an all white America. But don't tell Donald Trump that....
And I think it is in 2025, or was it 2045 that the white race will become an minority in America?
So Mr whitey, you'll march to a new master. It is inevitable.
Just look at all the mixed marriages of today. Even a considered white family has a mixed marriage.
Or non-causation children.
Is that such a bad thing?
Donald Trump thinks so. And good luck Donald with making America white again. :rolleyes:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
That one caught my eye as well.

My daughter spent approx. two years in Poland due to her hubby being assigned there to unfuck a mess one of their subsidiaries got themselves into. Absolutely loved how close the other free world nations were for visits, hardest part was learning the language while there.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
"AMERICA - LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"
Over in asia right now and I don't miss America one bit. The only thing that is keeping me stateside and forcing my return is employment.

Shit I almost sound like an immigrant.

Reactions: Mai72

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'd move to that country that banned assault weapons the day after they had a mass shooting.

Donald Trump has this idea that he can make America the good ole white America like in the 1950's.
Thing is, America never was an all white America. But don't tell Donald Trump that....
And I think it is in 2025, or was it 2045 that the white race will become an minority in America?
So Mr whitey, you'll march to a new master. It is inevitable.
Just look at all the mixed marriages of today. Even a considered white family has a mixed marriage.
Or non-causation children.
Is that such a bad thing?
Donald Trump thinks so. And good luck Donald with making America white again. :rolleyes:

Well this is the issue for many Trump supporters. The America that they know and love is changing and they are so desperately trying to keep it like it was. But, change is going to happen whether they like it or not. What's going to happen to these people in 10 years? 20 years? The Donald will be long gone by them. What will they do?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Well this is the issue for many Trump supporters. The America that they know and love is changing and they are so desperately trying to keep it like it was. But, change is going to happen whether they like it or not. What's going to happen to these people in 10 years? 20 years? The Donald will be long gone by them. What will they do?
quite a few trumpers are around the same age as he is so probably won't last much beyond him.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
What many of these people are about to discover is that the countries they would like to move to have an immigration process for doing so.

I think most of the people who threatened to leave if Trump won the election are still milling about.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So when we have no cheap imported labor to perform all the unskilled labor tasks, who will pick up their bootstraps and apply for those dirty jobs?

Show of hands?

Reactions: tweaker2

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Of course, they voted for it to change. Yay.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What many of these people are about to discover is that the countries they would like to move to have an immigration process for doing so.

I think most of the people who threatened to leave if Trump won the election are still milling about.

Well sure but let’s not forget that Trump and his supporters want to drastically reduce the amount of legal immigration as well. This may be a hard pill for some conservatives to swallow but Trump and his supporters just don’t like immigrants.

In the past conservatives were able to dress up their xenophobia as opposition to only illegal immigration. Trump has taken the mask off.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Well sure but let’s not forget that Trump and his supporters want to drastically reduce the amount of legal immigration as well. This may be a hard pill for some conservatives to swallow but Trump and his supporters just don’t like immigrants.

In the past conservatives were able to dress up their xenophobia as opposition to only illegal immigration. Trump has taken the mask off.
There has always been an undercurrent of xenophobia in America. As much as we romanticize about the Statue of Liberty, do you honestly think everyone who made it to Ellis Island was let in?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There has always been an undercurrent of xenophobia in America. As much as we romanticize about the Statue of Liberty, do you honestly think everyone who made it to Ellis Island was let in?

For large portions American history we effectively had no immigration laws.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

The undercurrent is now the main stream for the GOP. Huzzah! Progress!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The undercurrent is now the main stream for the GOP. Huzzah! Progress!

Yup. And anyway all I’m saying is that the GOP has been secretly anti-immigration for decades now. Trump has just made what was implicit explicit.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It may be anecdotal indications, but if I see several people across the country planning to leave several months after I inquired about immigration of the New Zealand government myself, it's obviously not a stray thought.

My problem is "old people". I'm old, my disabled brother is old, and my disabled Moms is very old. They don't want to go anywhere. Countries I'd prefer want people under 55 to work. For New Zealand and unable to meet that age requirement, you need probably $500K to $750K with an intention of starting a business there.

So I'm just fixing up our 4WD vehicles so they'll be ready in case we have to flee to one border or another. And I dream of being rounded up and sent to some camp, where I might have an opportunity to butcher some guards before my own number is up.

One has to be young or well off. Those who can get by aren't wanted any more than Mexicans by Trump.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Yup. And anyway all I’m saying is that the GOP has been secretly anti-immigration for decades now. Trump has just made what was implicit explicit.
But you missed the point. America as a nation does not have a true cultural identity, not like say a France or China. The immigration debate always emerges when there is an immigration wave, and cultural identity is often what fuels it.

You’re smart enough to know that there is an immigration process for most developed countries, often with a cultural assimilation component.

We have this notion of the melting pot, but it doesn’t always heat evenly.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump says the nation is full.

OK, but what he failed to mention was that by saying the nation was full, he was referring to how the nation was full of right wing nationalist racists who are being agitated and egged on by him and the GOP in order to satisfy his/their own racist agenda for the nation that he and his fellow Repub Congress crooks think increases their chances of holding on to positions of power and influence in gov't.

Moscow Mitch being at the head of the line no less.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But you missed the point. America as a nation does not have a true cultural identity, not like say a France or China. The immigration debate always emerges when there is an immigration wave, and cultural identity is often what fuels it.

You’re smart enough to know that there is an immigration process for most developed countries, often with a cultural assimilation component.

We have this notion of the melting pot, but it doesn’t always heat evenly.

And let’s look at those prior immigration debates. Was the restrictionist side one anyone today would be proud to be on? Can’t we learn from our mistakes?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Trump says the nation is full.

OK, but what he failed to mention was that by saying the nation was full, he was referring to how the nation was full of right wing nationalist racists who are being agitated and egged on by him and the GOP in order to satisfy his/their own racist agenda for the nation that he and his fellow Repub Congress crooks think increases their chances of holding on to positions of power and influence in gov't.

Moscow Mitch being at the head of the line no less.

People seem to forget that unemployment is very low also, so when businesses want to add jobs, where's the employee coming from?

Reactions: tweaker2

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And let’s look at those prior immigration debates. Was the restrictionist side one anyone today would be proud to be on? Can’t we learn from our mistakes?
We can’t even agree on what defines a mistake. Look at the brewing storm over California’s intent to introduce a model curriculum on ethnic studies. It’s an identity politics grievance firestorm, and conservatives don’t even have a seat at the table.

Example. Balancing the notion of Islamophobia with 9/11, the state of Israel and the Holocaust.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
People seem to forget that unemployment is very low also, so when businesses want to add jobs, where's the employee coming from?

According to Trump, they need to come from Scandinavia and not some "shithole country" south of the border overflowing with brown skinned invaders.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We can’t even agree on defines a mistake. Look at the brewing storm over California’s intent to introduce a model curriculum on ethnic studies. It’s an identity politics grievance firestorm, and conservatives don’t even have a seat at the table.

Well I mean it’s not like conservatives lack a seat at the table for some nefarious reason, they lack a seat at the table due to years of massive electoral defeats. It’s like saying the communist party or the Nazi party doesn’t have a seat at the table. Of course not, they didn’t get enough votes!

This isn’t like North Carolina where the state is gerrymandered to ensure the desired outcome, conservatives just lost. If conservatives want to have more input into California government they need to change their party to make it more desirable to the electorate.

Also I’m not sure if conservatives realize this but the modern American conservative movement is basically 100% identity politics. If they hate identity politics so much why do they practice it so fervently? Are they that oblivious?

Reactions: Victorian Gray

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I hope it works out for the people in the OP story. Everyone deserves to live somewhere that feels comfortable to them and reflects their basic values and preferences.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

Their great fear is really that the new non-white majority will treat them as shitty as they treated minorities in the past. Some powerful projection

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Well I mean it’s not like conservatives lack a seat at the table for some nefarious reason, they lack a seat at the table due to years of massive electoral defeats. It’s like saying the communist party or the Nazi party doesn’t have a seat at the table. Of course not, they didn’t get enough votes!
Again, you miss the point. Take a conversation that doesn’t even involve conservatives and it still gravitates towards identity.

This isn’t like North Carolina where the state is gerrymandered to ensure the desired outcome, conservatives just lost. If conservatives want to have more input into California government they need to change their party to make it more desirable to the electorate.
Democrats also self gerrymander, so its not a compelling argument.

Also I’m not sure if conservatives realize this but the modern American conservative movement is basically 100% identity politics. If they hate identity politics so much why do they practice it so fervently? Are they that oblivious?
Not really. The Democrat nomination however is quite the exercise in periodic table of identity.

You do realize that a lot of Trumpers are people displaced by automation and outsourcing. What’s going to happen I wonder when we robots eliminate the need for exploitable migrant labor.