Trump claims he can overrule states on ending COVID-19 shutdowns

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I happen to like the 10th amendment in this regard

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people. "

Silly peon. King Donnie (the dotard) isn't bound by wimpy restrictions like the Constitution...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
iu
iu

What happened to these 'patriots' that where ready to uphold their sacred constitution?

They're hiding in their concrete bunkers, posting on r/Donald. Hiding, as usual, when the shit gets real.

But don't worry....just like cockroaches, they'll be back.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Same defense....Same offense....same old song and dance. Different day..

1. Didn't know the guy, never met him.
There was no call.
Never spent the night there so it couldn't be true.
Fake news.

2. I may have seen him once or twice (regarding pictures and posts of himself with the guy).
I called but it was business.
That's not what we talked about (releases transcript of him talking about subject).
Fine people on both sides.
Fake news (reprise)

3. I may have had some interactions with him (personal lawyer/fixer/bagman).
It was a perfect call, decision, many say it was genius. Many say I'm a genius. I say I'm a genius.
Fake news (reprise).

4. Everybody does/did it.
Obama did it but I did it better.
It's not illegal.
It's not impeachable.
It's not unconstitutional.
Fake news (reprise).

5. So what if I did it. Sue me.
Article II says I can do anything.
Subpoenas, testimony; not happening.
Traitors, treason, Deep State, Pelosi, Hillary.
Fake news (reprise).

6. I am not responsible.

7. Fire them all.

Fake News (reprise)

So, in Summary:

Deny, fake news, it was perfect, I did it - so what?........SAD

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
View attachment 19586

Well a couple things here. Trump thinks of himself as Captain Bligh from the (1962 presumably) film which...isn't flattering or good. I think were I to chose a film character comparison I think Captain Queeg from the 1954 Caine Mutiny but less smart and not at all sympathetic is a lot closer to the mark.

Also impotently raging on twitter because you can't do anything is a real alpha move.

What a clown. Letting people get sick and die because he's afraid of the Nov election.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Watching cnn and the chyron on the bottom says the orange menace has walked back on his "total authority to reopen" claim.
He acknowledges that the states Governors have the authority to reopen the states.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I just saw the clip of his walkback. Totally bogus bullshit where he claimed no responsibility for the comments he made yesterday.

He said " I am authorizing each individual governor, in each individual state, to implement a reopening" of their states.
This sad mothereffer still made it sound like he gave the governors the authority to open the states.
What a narcissistic POS.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Early video of Trump found.

Crap, I haven't seen a reference to Groove Tube in 30 years.

Ah yes.
Dealers in a lonely city, they work all day, they work all day...…. First appearance of Chevy Chase before SNL.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I just saw the clip of his walkback. Totally bogus bullshit where he claimed no responsibility for the comments he made yesterday.

He said " I am authorizing each individual governor, in each individual state, to implement a reopening" of their states.
This sad mothereffer still made it sound like he gave the governors the authority to open the states.
What a narcissistic POS.
Well crap, I have authority to do that.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

What a narcissistic POS.

Yup. Now he's backpedaling as fast as he can. Next week he'll claim he was just joking when he said only he had the power and next month he'll claim never to have said it at all.

Mar 11, 2004
Yup. Now he's backpedaling as fast as he can. Next week he'll claim he was just joking when he said only he had the power and next month he'll claim never to have said it at all.

Weirdly, I don't know that he's ever used the "I was only joking defense" outside of possibly the sexual assault allegations. Actually I'm not sure if he even said he was joking (I think he called it "locker room talk" which was not even a denial, more that he viewed it as some private conversation where he could brag like a douchebag with impunity), but I know others have tried to say that with regards to think he's said, although I think most of them have shut up after trying that defense only to have him double down on it and make it very clear he was not joking.

He has, within the same press conference said he didn't say something he said during that conference, so no need to wait that long (although I don't doubt in his mind once out of mind it means he no longer said it, with it used to take awhile but now is almost immediate). That was just like a day or two ago where he said something then when a reporter asked him about it he claimed he never said that even though he literally just did like minutes before.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Last edited:
Reactions: pmv and Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Your argument is based on a false premise.

This wasn't any mystery to me or anyone I knew summer 2016.

Care to revise your ridiculous question?
Calling Trump a clown while defending him indicates you are just as much a clown. Unless you were born After Jan 2017, then you have an excuse. BTW - How's your Trump handmaid uniform fittin' ya? I'm sure you look spiffy!!

If I'm debating a 3 year old, I apologize.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
iu
iu

What happened to these 'patriots' that where ready to uphold their sacred constitution?

The irony in the “water the tree of liberty” quote (the full quote), is that those pictured who would protect liberty are misinformed and ignorant and it is them who should be corrected and pacified. The quote is in reference to shays rebellion.

The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. yet where does this anarchy exist? where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusets? and can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it’s motives. they were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. god forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. the people cannot be all, & always, well informed. the past which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive; if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. we have had 13. states independant 11. years. there has been one rebellion. that comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. what country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it’s natural manure.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 19586

Well a couple things here. Trump thinks of himself as Captain Bligh from the (1962 presumably) film which...isn't flattering or good. I think were I to chose a film character comparison I think Captain Queeg from the 1954 Caine Mutiny but less smart and not at all sympathetic is a lot closer to the mark.

Also impotently raging on twitter because you can't do anything is a real alpha move.

Actually, now that I think about it...Knowing the way Loser Donald thinks, I imagine the point he got from the movie was "Captain Bligh was a great and strong leader, and the haters and losers (of which there were many) were very unfair to him and spread Fake News to make him look bad. Sad!"

Apparently he doesn't remember that Capt. Bligh ended up being set adrift in a small boat while the mutineers took the ship to their desired destination/direction.

So to be fair, I'm willing to set Trump adrift in a small boat in the middle of the ocean and see if he makes it back to land.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Besides signing an executive fuck you order. He’ll attempt to reopen, May 1st at the latest. They’ve raided the Treasury, their work is done. No need to keep things shut down any longer. The disease prevention thing, that was cover for the robbery. The states can follow or not. But if they don’t,

he’ll....

1. Find a way to cut off the enhanced unemployment benefits (the extra $600) to residents of those states that are still unemployed past the Grand Reopening date. “If the states and the governors won’t let people get back to work, let them pay the bill”

2. Refuse to forgive the payroll protection loans unless the businesses defy their state governments reopen on his schedule.

He’d love to do this because it will let him deny benefits to the harder hit Democratic states. It may even be a prime motivator

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watching cnn and the chyron on the bottom says the orange menace has walked back on his "total authority to reopen" claim.
He acknowledges that the states Governors have the authority to reopen the states.
Well, he revealed how he sees himself, what he wants and hopes for, to be the absolute autocrat who has the last word what happens in the USA. Some people don't mind.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Calling Trump a clown while defending him indicates you are just as much a clown. Unless you were born After Jan 2017, then you have an excuse. BTW - How's your Trump handmaid uniform fittin' ya? I'm sure you look spiffy!!

If I'm debating a 3 year old, I apologize.
Your emotional reaction reveals your irrational attitude and unwillingness to engage in civilized exchange of ideas and therefore isn't worth putting much effort in to a response.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Actually, now that I think about it...Knowing the way Loser Donald thinks, I imagine the point he got from the movie was "Captain Bligh was a great and strong leader, and the haters and losers (of which there were many) were very unfair to him and spread Fake News to make him look bad. Sad!"

Apparently he doesn't remember that Capt. Bligh ended up being set adrift in a small boat while the mutineers took the ship to their desired destination/direction.

So to be fair, I'm willing to set Trump adrift in a small boat in the middle of the ocean and see if he makes it back to land.

Trump, being so full of hot air (among other...substances) would simply engage balloon mode. It's a beautiful balloon, many people are saying it's the most beautiful balloon they've ever seen...and would beat you back to land.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This violates the 10th Amendment explicitly. This isn't an argument between so called co-equal branches, this isn't the business of Trump in any way and any order is unenforceable, period

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Your emotional reaction reveals your irrational attitude and unwillingness to engage in civilized exchange of ideas and therefore isn't worth putting much effort in to a response.
Lies, unfounded conspiracy theories, declarations without a microbe of evidence is not an exchange of ideas. People have told you many times but you keep trolling.