Trump claims he can overrule states on ending COVID-19 shutdowns

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
This will be very interesting. If the SCOTUS decides to side with Trump on ending the shutdown over monetary concerns, totally dismissing the lives it will end, that sets an interesting precedent.

I thought Trump was all about the state's rights during this shitstorm?

As with everything he does, including voting by mail, if it benefits him, it's good, if it doesn't, it's bad.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This will be very interesting. If the SCOTUS decides to side with Trump on ending the shutdown over monetary concerns, totally dismissing the lives it will end, that sets an interesting precedent.

As with everything he does, including voting by mail, if it benefits him, it's good, if it doesn't, it's bad.
SCOTUS can by the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

When they ruled in Bush v Gore they made statement at the end, the ruling could not be used as precedent. Which is what the SC does. So nine allegedly smart people made a ruling strictly along ideological lines and we are supposed to believe it was done in good faith?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm old enough to remember when Jade Helm, a routine military exercise, was thought of by conservatives as the start of a military takeover of the United States.

I wonder what they would have said if Obama claimed to have preemption authority over all state and local health policies?

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Trump is a giant blowhard who talks big despite not understanding the legal ramifications of his pompous pontification. I'm sure there's a way Trump CAN force governors to do things but not without a specific state of the nation that the feds have to declare and I sincerely doubt we're anywhere close to that becoming a reality. Trump's just trying to influence governors to do what he wants them to do. Fine, keep talking, blah blah blah Donald. Will it happen? No.

Edit: unless he's talking about the feds strong-arming the states in trying to pull funding from states that don't comply like they did in pulling road repair funding from states like California for making pot legal, etc.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wasn't the whole point of the quarantine to prevent hospitals from become overloaded with COVID-19 cases? With the exception of perhaps NYC, that hasn't really happened. In most places, new cases seem to be dropping as well.

So... Mission Accomplished, and we can all go back to work now?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wasn't the whole point of the quarantine to prevent hospitals from become overloaded with COVID-19 cases? With the exception of perhaps NYC, that hasn't really happened. In most places, new cases seem to be dropping as well.

So... Mission Accomplished, and we can all go back to work now?

Not until the new case rates are very low -- my understanding is that it'd ideally be down to single digits (not sure if that's per state or per city). Things are turning, but it could take weeks or more before cases really taper off.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This is actually pretty shrewd on Trump's part. He didn't want to be the bad guy who ordered people to stay at home, so he let the governors do it...they take the heat.
By ordering the restrictions lifted, offs are, MOST governors will defy him and leave the restrictions in place...so he can take credit for ordering them lifted...and the governors take the heat again...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Putting aside The Constitutional question for a moment.

First Trump says he can't order 50 state shutdown , it's up to the Governors.
Now when it comes to the start he's saying "I'm in charge and I can overrule Governors"

I'm just going to leave this up to the Trumpers. I just don't know what to say anymore :(

I have an exact quote, I took it word for word from the video I saw tonight on NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt:

The Donald, gesticulating in his trademark bilaterally symmetrical way, mafioso style, declaring

"when somebody's the president of the United States, the authority is total, and that's the way it's gotta be."

This is the land of government of the people, by the people, for the people?

Somebody show that man the door!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, uhh, how would such an order be enforced? Send Luca Brasi?
If you're governor, a horse head in your bed... and no federal support ... for anything. He'll show you who's boss.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is actually pretty shrewd on Trump's part. He didn't want to be the bad guy who ordered people to stay at home, so he let the governors do it...they take the heat.
By ordering the restrictions lifted, offs are, MOST governors will defy him and leave the restrictions in place...so he can take credit for ordering them lifted...and the governors take the heat again...

Except people following the orders is what matters. And people are having enough time following the orders when they are receiving consistent messages from their various levels of government. Trump doing this would assuredly lead to confusion and greater non-compliance = more illness, more death, more damage to the economy in the long run.

Trump looking good at the expense of lives is not "smart". It's fucking evil.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump is a giant blowhard who talks big despite not understanding the legal ramifications of his pompous pontification. I'm sure there's a way Trump CAN force governors to do things but not without a specific state of the nation that the feds have to declare and I sincerely doubt we're anywhere close to that becoming a reality. Trump's just trying to influence governors to do what he wants them to do. Fine, keep talking, blah blah blah Donald. Will it happen? No.

Edit: unless he's talking about the feds strong-arming the states in trying to pull funding from states that don't comply like they did in pulling road repair funding from states like California for making pot legal, etc.
Not like you dodn't know this shit in the summer of 2016. Where was your dissent then?