Trump can use FEMA to direct message all US cellphones?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Heh, That would be awesome, a nationwide cackle of repeats.

But seriously, this is kind of fucked up all in itself, isn't it?

Esp replies all to request to be taken off the list, and then the obligotory responses all to say to do not reply all.

We could literally break the internet and crater into another depression.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
A lot of people have interpreted this as "the President can say whatever he wants as a national alert," and that's not really true. This is for moments of national crisis, and there are enough obstacles in place so Trump can't just send "RIGGED WITCH HUNT" to tens of millions of phones on a whim.

Besides, the odds are that Trump would face a severe backlash (even from erstwhile supporters) for abusing a national alert system for personal purposes... and his staff know it. We'd have another "take the papers off Trump's desk" moment where people would purposefully ignore his requests.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fox and Friends getting their own AMBER alert, what a concept. Would be a great way to announce his resignation, but other than that will just piss more people off.

So yeah, full steam ahead dipshit, go nuts.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
OP, just remember Trump won't be President forever. You'll like this when a Democrat is in power.

I like it now in theory. A national alert system like this makes sense. Of course the device needs to be secured physically software protected. In any case Trump's phone is unsecured, but I don't think even Donnie boy will be allowed to play with it while he eats his burgers.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
If this happens to me I'm going to burn my phone in protest. When things happen I disagree with I need to destroy my possessions related to that.

/conservativelogic

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
IIRC, the president himself doesn't actually have direct access to the presidential alert system and can't just use it to shout whatever he wants - it goes through FEMA. It's best that the FEMA director doesn't let him know about it, or he will try to turn it into another Trump channel. Hopefully it has a 90 character limit.

"I'm sorry, Mr President, you can't use this emergency alert system to send out campaign messages."
"So what you're saying is I have to wait until tomorrow."
"I'll tell you the same thing tomorrow, Mr President."
"I won't be asking you tomorrow. I'll be asking my new FEMA director."

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Do you guys suppose that Trump will dress up like the Hamburglar when he sends his first message?:p

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
my company did the same. Amber alerts are the worst. its almost like watching a alien invasion movie where everybody phone is going off due to a national emergency.
Yea,, since I'm the last North American with a flip-phone I cant find any way to shut off the amber alerts. Someone who is involved in a custody battle 190 miles from me is up on I-95 in a silver Accord at 2:00 AM and my phone starts screeching (like only a $40 phone can do). Thing is I use the shrill noises it can generate as an effective alarm to get up in the morning so I can't just shut it off.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
"Rachael Maddow and her leftist mob are outside my White House. Sad!"

Imho, it will be interesting and be really awkward. Don't panic messages will be riddled with conspiracy.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Message from Trump has been postponed until Oct 3. More time for folks to be indignant.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Somebody should coat the keys on his phone with superglue before his first message.....:eek::p

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
There's really nothing wrong with this. In fact it makes good sense. Trump (or more so his handlers) are smart enough to realize this can't be used for "BUT HILLARY!" texts. I highly doubt the message will be sent directly from Trump himself - it will go through the proper channels and be "professional"

This, dare I say, is a nothingburger.