Trump: Californians rioting over sanctuary cities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Objective people have been saying this about Trump since day one, and yet he seems impervious to things that would otherwise sink other politicians. I don’t even think other Republicans could successfully mimic him.

Trump was a pied piper candidate, and part of his appeal is his complete disregard for norms, traditions and what most would consider acceptable behavior from a head of state. He is the manifestation of our media obsessed culture and short attention spans.

It's quite terrifying in the moment. However, I actually look forward to an after-the-fact analysis in 15-20 years when he's long gone of how he was able to pull it off.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
- I don't, but really only Trump can Trump and its painful watching people that disagree (and I am someone that disagrees with a lot of what Trump says and does) try to mimic his style of faux outrage and over-the-top statements and deliberate obtuseness.

It just makes people unhappy with Trump appear as stupid as Trump himself, and in a manner, that's a win for Trump because at the end of the day it just feeds back into a narrative he can feed the "forever trumper" red cap base.

That's word salad with innuendo. I certainly haven't gone over the top here, nor has anybody else.

Lies are lies, aren't they, or have I missed something?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It's quite terrifying in the moment. However, I actually look forward to an after-the-fact analysis in 15-20 years when he's long gone of how he was able to pull it off.
Some of it is self evident. Geographic and demographic stratification around highly polarizing issues that drive clicks. Just look at some of the recent polling around Kavanaugh, and how different groups of people can have vastly different perceptions of a situation. You don’t get to 300 pages on a thread unless everyone thinks they are 100% correct.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Some of it is self evident. Geographic and demographic stratification around highly polarizing issues that drive clicks. Just look at some of the recent polling around Kavanaugh, and how different groups of people can have vastly different perceptions of a situation. You don’t get to 300 pages on a thread unless everyone thinks they are 100% correct.

Bull shit, you've got on one side a group that said "lets get to the truth" and the other side that said "fuck it" and pushed the guy through anyway.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Objective people have been saying this about Trump since day one, and yet he seems impervious to things that would otherwise sink other politicians. I don’t even think other Republicans could successfully mimic him.

Trump was a pied piper candidate, and part of his appeal is his complete disregard for norms, traditions and what most would consider acceptable behavior from a head of state. He is the manifestation of our media obsessed culture and short attention spans.

You only need to look to the past, the slow decay started with the Vietnam War and Watergate which made people start questioning establishment culture and politics, Reaganomics which capitalized on that distrust, Republican-lite also known as the Clintons, Wall street and big business not content with just republicans but started buying off democrats, Wars based on lies because profits, a society that promotes the self and greed over selflessness and charity, fast forward towards today and you have Trump who capitalized on the "Burn it down" mentality present today due to the lies and failed policies of previous administrations.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bull shit, you've got on one side a group that said "lets get to the truth" and the other side that said "fuck it" and pushed the guy through anyway.

Do not go for the duh-version into Kavanaugh mind fuck, please.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You only need to look to the past, the slow decay started with the Vietnam War and Watergate which made people start questioning establishment culture and politics, Reaganomics which capitalized on that distrust, Republican-lite also known as the Clintons, Wall street and big business not content with just republicans but started buying off democrats, Wars based on lies because profits, a society that promotes the self and greed over selflessness and charity, fast forward towards today and you have Trump who capitalized on the "Burn it down" mentality present today due to the lies and failed policies of previous administrations.

For all your everyone sucks posts can you please post who you think best represents your desired policy goals or what they are?

Reactions: hal2kilo

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Truth was not the motivating factor of anything that happened regarding the Kavanaugh hearings. Political opportunism is not truth.

Nov 29, 2006
It is Trump’s responsibility to say true things, it is not our responsibility to attempt to parse which are intended to be lies as opposed to which are merely incidentally false.

For example his claim that he saw thousands of American Muslims celebrating 9/11 could have been easily dismissed by ‘objective’ people as Trumpian exaggeration but later he came out repeatedly and said he intended the statement to be factual.

This is part of a larger war on truth and objective reality and we need to stop making excuses for a degenerate liar based on the fact that it wouldn’t be ‘objective’ to expect him to be truthful.

Well i think that is game, set, match.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And you gave him a pass, of course, told us that we really need to apply a different standard to him in the same fashion as his devotees, that we need to use our imaginations to understand what he's saying.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And you gave him a pass, of course, told us that we really need to apply a different standard to him in the same fashion as his devotees, that we need to use our imaginations to understand what he's saying.
That’s not what I said, but I always find your interpretations entertaining.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Most objective people would interpret this as a typical exagerrated Trumpian reference to the loose coalition of CA cities that are in opposition to Sacramento on sanctuary city policies.

"Everything's normal, folks. Just carry on and not get too crazy, OK? It's really your fault that you can't get over this 'obvious hyperbole.'"

Yeah...no thanks.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Kavanaugh debacle was about Trump winning...Not about the truth or does his temperament and his lying make him suited for the SCOTUS. Winning is all that matters to him

‘It doesn’t matter.’ ‘We’ll see.’ The Trump Doctrine is sounding more fatalistic every day.

It was Feb. 27, 2004, and Donald Trump was on “Larry King Live” to talk about his new hit TV show “The Apprentice.” Eight episodes had already aired — including one titled “Ethics Shmethics” — and the real estate mogul seemed pleased to gab with King about his return to relevance. Near the end of the segment, a caller from Burlington, N.J., asked Trump how he handles stress.

I try and tell myself it doesn’t matter,” Trump replied. “Nothing matters. If you tell yourself it doesn’t matter — like you do shows, you do this, you do that, and then you have earthquakes in India where 400,000 people get killed. Honestly, it doesn’t matter.”

Sunday night, Trump was again on television, this time as president of the United States, and not for a softball chat with a showbiz pal. Lesley Stahl of “60 Minutes” pressed Trump about his public mockery of Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh of sexual assault.

“It doesn’t matter,” Trump said eventually. “We won.”

It doesn’t matter. Nothing really matters. Is this, finally, the Trump Doctrine?

“We’ll see what happens with Iran,” Trump said Sept. 5. “Whether they want to talk or not, that’s up to them, not up to me. I will always be available, but it doesn’t matter one way or the other.”

This philosophy springs from the privilege that’s defined his life, theorizes Tim O’Brien, author of “TrumpNation: The Art of Being the Donald.” The president was born into wealth, inherited business and opportunity, and kept graduating to higher stations despite financial, personal and political blunders.

“He profoundly believes nothing matters because he usually isn’t the victim of his own mistakes,” O’Brien says. (The White House did not reply to a request for comment.)

He was talking about a summit with North Korea, but he could’ve been talking about his own life. “If it doesn’t [work out], that’s okay too,” he went on to say. “Whatever it is, it is.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Trump said in January 2016, when asked about his flip-flopping political views.

“It doesn’t matter,” a White House aide said in May about John McCain and his opposition to Trump’s nominee for CIA director. “He’s dying anyway.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Trump said two separate times during his Sept. 20 rally in Las Vegas, where he also said “let’s see what happens” twice.

But of course there is one thing that does matter. He implied it on “60 Minutes,” and he pronounced it five weeks before his election, at a rally in Wisconsin.

“The only thing that matters,” he said then, “is to win.”

This is why he is the Pubbies wet dream puppet candidate. Because he doesn't give a shit about anything except the next win. Content, context, long-range thinking, ultimate goals, principles, values, consistency -- none of those things matter. Therefore he can be used for any purpose the Pubs want, because he has no interest in where the Ship of State is sailing. Nothing matters.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The Kavanaugh debacle was about Trump winning...Not about the truth or does his temperament and his lying make him suited for the SCOTUS. Winning is all that matters to him

‘It doesn’t matter.’ ‘We’ll see.’ The Trump Doctrine is sounding more fatalistic every day.

This is why he is the Pubbies wet dream puppet candidate. Because he doesn't give a shit about anything except the next win. Content, context, long-range thinking, ultimate goals, principles, values, consistency -- none of those things matter. Therefore he can be used for any purpose the Pubs want, because he has no interest in where the Ship of State is sailing. Nothing matters.
And I thought Cheney was a puppet master. The trick with Don, is you let him believe it was his idea in the first place, or manipulate him into the position you want by stroking his ego.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
"Everything's normal, folks. Just carry on and not get too crazy, OK? It's really your fault that you can't get over this 'obvious hyperbole.'"

Yeah...no thanks.
Given your objective and intelligent evaluation of “The Last Jedi”, I thought you were smarter than this!

What do you think Trump is doing. We are a few weeks out from the midterms, and he is shifting the conversation to topics that are home court advantage for the Republicans.

Are we talking about climate change or healthcare or the legislative initiatives the Democrats would pursue if they take the House?

Nope.

The conversation is fixated on DNA tests and caravans and Nancy Pelosi and sanctuary cities and other topics that will actually help the Republicans dampen the blue wave...and it seems to be working.

CNN was carrying a cover story this morning about an antifa wiccan coven in Brooklyn placing a hex on Kavanaugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Given your objective and intelligent evaluation of “The Last Jedi”, I thought you were smarter than this!

What do you think Trump is doing. We are a few weeks out from the midterms, and he is shifting the conversation to topics that are home court advantage for the Republicans.

Are we talking about climate change or healthcare or the legislative initiatives the Democrats would pursue if they take the House?

Nope.

The conversation is fixated on DNA tests and caravans and Nancy Pelosi and sanctuary cities and other topics that will actually help the Republicans dampen the blue wave...and it seems to be working.

CNN was carrying a cover story this morning about an antifa wiccan coven in Brooklyn placing a hex on Kavanaugh.

Dream on. Trump is trying to bend the conversation in that direction, for sure, and your apologisms help with that. It's all fluff.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Dream on. Trump is trying to bend the conversation in that direction, for sure, and your apologisms help with that. It's all fluff.
The conversation is long past bent, and you remain incapable of understanding why.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I understand it's been bent by Trump's lies & your apologisms for them.
My inconsequential and insignificant opinions have no bearing on the Democrats inability to control the narrative, as you demonstrate daily.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My inconsequential and insignificant opinions have no bearing on the Democrats inability to control the narrative, as you demonstrate daily.
Dems have a tougher time because Trump is willing to lie with almost every sentence he utters. Also too many numbskulls williuing to believe everything he says.

BTW - What happened to the spy Obama hired to tap Trump's phones?

What happened to that Kenyan birth certificate?

That's how he controls the narrative,