Trump: Californians rioting over sanctuary cities

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What's he or McConnell up to that he doesn't want us to notice? Are we supposed to forget about his providing shade to the Sauds?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What's he or McConnell up to that he doesn't want us to notice? Are we supposed to forget about his providing shade to the Sauds?

Probably. Every time he says something retarded he's trying to distract America from something much more serious.

He says something retarded 10 times a day.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some here think this is a President for whom the country can be proud.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It's bombastic language, sure, but on the trumpometer it clearly registers as hyperbole meant to illustrate Californians are unhappy with sanctuary cities. Not suggesting there is truth in what he's saying, but it makes the "outrage" over the statement come off as a bit overwrought.

If there are some clarifying quotes that show he is speaking literally about these things, then I'd welcome them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's bombastic language, sure, but on the trumpometer it clearly registers as hyperbole meant to illustrate Californians are unhappy with sanctuary cities. Not suggesting there is truth in what he's saying, but it makes the "outrage" over the statement come off as a bit overwrought.

If there are some clarifying quotes that show he is speaking literally about these things, then I'd welcome them.

That's the "not intended to be a factual statement" defense, right?

Do you have some kind of decoder ring to figure out when he is speaking literally?

Nov 29, 2006

So a snake oil salesman who uses the "best words"?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Do you have some kind of decoder ring to figure out when he is speaking literally?
Most objective people would interpret this as a typical exagerrated Trumpian reference to the loose coalition of CA cities that are in opposition to Sacramento on sanctuary city policies.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Most objective people would interpret this as a typical exagerrated Trumpian reference to the loose coalition of CA cities that are in opposition to Sacramento on sanctuary city policies.

Most objective people wouldn't give him a pass for lying. He should just say what he wants to say.

There are enough idiots out there that take his words as the truth and he knows it, that's why he uses this kind of speech. It covers his ass with "moderates" like your dumb ass who just go "oh, you know what he meant" and it riles up his base that's full of fucktards that take his word as gospel.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....and you think there were objective people at the rally? I've got a couple of bridges to see you if that's the case....really cheap too.

Just another cheeto supporter giving him the 'all clear pass' to lie.

I can bet that my inlaws, if asked, would state that the state of California is utter chaos and riots over the sanctuary cities. They hang on his every word as do most cheeto supporters.

Edit: @ecogen, above, said it better than I did.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is Trump’s responsibility to say true things, it is not our responsibility to attempt to parse which are intended to be lies as opposed to which are merely incidentally false.

For example his claim that he saw thousands of American Muslims celebrating 9/11 could have been easily dismissed by ‘objective’ people as Trumpian exaggeration but later he came out repeatedly and said he intended the statement to be factual.

This is part of a larger war on truth and objective reality and we need to stop making excuses for a degenerate liar based on the fact that it wouldn’t be ‘objective’ to expect him to be truthful.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

That's a swell rationalization. You and I both know, however, that his followers are not the 'objective thinking' type.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Most objective people wouldn't give him a pass for lying. He should just say what he wants to say.

There are enough idiots out there that take his words as the truth and he knows it, that's why he uses this kind of speech. It covers his ass with "moderates" like your dumb ass who just go "oh, you know what he meant" and it riles up his base that's full of fucktards that take his word as gospel.
His base doesn’t care what you think. He uses these kinds of words because it resonates with his base, all the more so because it so easily triggers people like you.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It is Trump’s responsibility to say true things, it is not our responsibility to attempt to parse which are intended to be lies as opposed to which are merely incidentally false.

For example his claim that he saw thousands of American Muslims celebrating 9/11 could have been easily dismissed by ‘objective’ people as Trumpian exaggeration but later he came out repeatedly and said he intended the statement to be factual.

This is part of a larger war on truth and objective reality and we need to stop making excuses for a degenerate liar based on the fact that it wouldn’t be ‘objective’ to expect him to be truthful.
If you haven’t figured it out yet, we have a reality star running the country. Truth is the least of his considerations. It is all about controlling the narrative and the news cycles. Calling something for what it is does not excuse the behavior.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
His base doesn’t care what you think. He uses these kinds of words because it resonates with his base, all the more so because it so easily triggers people like you.

So, what you're saying is that I'm right? Thanks, I guess, but I knew that already.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you haven’t figured it out yet, we have a reality star running the country. Truth is the least of his considerations. It is all about controlling the narrative and the news cycles. Calling something for what it is does not excuse the behavior.

It seems like objective people should call a dishonest statement a dishonest statement on its own merits and not based on who said it, no?

If Obama had said an identical thing people would have said it was dishonest, not that it was 'normal Obama hyperbole'.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
All this outrage from "States rights conservatives" over policies designed to keep federal law enforcement agencies from commandeering local law enforcement resources in order to enforce federal law.

Reactions: Meghan54

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
All this outrage from "States rights conservatives" over policies designed to keep federal law enforcement agencies from commandeering local law enforcement resources in order to enforce federal law.

It's almost as if those principles, which they so fervently tout, only matter when they work in favor of their current agenda.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It seems like objective people should call a dishonest statement a dishonest statement on its own merits and not based on who said it, no?

If Obama had said an identical thing people would have said it was dishonest, not that it was 'normal Obama hyperbole'.
Objective people have been saying this about Trump since day one, and yet he seems impervious to things that would otherwise sink other politicians. I don’t even think other Republicans could successfully mimic him.

Trump was a pied piper candidate, and part of his appeal is his complete disregard for norms, traditions and what most would consider acceptable behavior from a head of state. He is the manifestation of our media obsessed culture and short attention spans.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- I don't, but really only Trump can Trump and its painful watching people that disagree (and I am someone that disagrees with a lot of what Trump says and does) try to mimic his style of faux outrage and over-the-top statements and deliberate obtuseness.

It just makes people unhappy with Trump appear as stupid as Trump himself, and in a manner, that's a win for Trump because at the end of the day it just feeds back into a narrative he can feed the "forever trumper" red cap base.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The buy-in is remarkable, huh?