Trump Blocks Argentina Tribute To Jimmy Carter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Well, I can't read Spanish much, but yeah, I think CNN (insert any news org you like) does "just make stuff up" from time-to-time.

Do you think Trump can actually "block" the country of Argentina from giving an award to someone? I don't.

Sounds like a scheduling thing to me. Maybe if Argentina wants to give an award to someone they should schedule it themselves down in Argentina.

Fern

The premise from the English link is Trump didn't want to have someone else getting an award/medal/media coverage when he is in town. Which I find believable from Trump. They requested the ceremony be held off to a later date.
I do agree this story needs better vetting before anyone complains about it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, I can't read Spanish much, but yeah, I think CNN (insert any news org you like) does "just make stuff up" from time-to-time.

Do you think Trump can actually "block" the country of Argentina from giving an award to someone? I don't.

Sounds like a scheduling thing to me. Maybe if Argentina wants to give an award to someone they should schedule it themselves down in Argentina.

Fern

It was an expression of appreciation from another country, to give to our own president, an actual honorable human being, unlike the anal fistula currently disgracing the White House on a daily basis. Carter is an elderly gentlemen, undergoing treatment for brain cancer. Argentina apparently thought it would be nice to do this locally, such that Carter wouldn't have to travel (it is unlikely that he can). But the little diseased shitstain 8 year old didn't like it, because it takes the spotlight away from him. Trump apparently thinks that he is the only president, ever.

apparently, you do to. It seems that you think it is appropriate to demand that an elderly and honorable man, undergoing radiation and chemo, should just suck it up and travel if he wants to receive a medal, rather than accept the grace of a visiting nation that wanted to accommodate him.

what the hell is wrong with you?

Hey, as far as other countries bucking protocol, what did you think about Netanyahu blithely accepting the invitation of Congress, rather than president Obama, and overstepping accepted diplomatic protocol? You probably waved your hand flags on that day

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
It was an expression of appreciation from another country, to give to our own president, an actual honorable human being, unlike the anal fistula currently disgracing the White House on a daily basis. Carter is an elderly gentlemen, undergoing treatment for brain cancer. Argentina apparently thought it would be nice to do this locally, such that Carter wouldn't have to travel (it is unlikely that he can). But the little diseased shitstain 8 year old didn't like it, because it takes the spotlight away from him. Trump apparently thinks that he is the only president, ever.

apparently, you do to. It seems that you think it is appropriate to demand that an elderly and honorable man, undergoing radiation and chemo, should just suck it up and travel if he wants to receive a medal, rather than accept the grace of a visiting nation that wanted to accommodate him.

what the hell is wrong with you?
-snip-

I'm not unhinged.

I don't think you accept an invitation from a new "Republican" President to visit the WH and then request to use that time to hand out an award to a Democratic President. You have any recollection of what Carter has said about Trump?

Argentina can hand the award to Carter as they like and anywhere they want, except the WH it seems. Argentina can come here to give it to Carter. Happy now?

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not unhinged.

I don't think you accept an invitation from a new "Republican" President to visit the WH and then request to use that time to hand out an award to a Democratic President. You have any recollection of what Carter has said about Trump?

Argentina can hand the award to Carter as they like and anywhere they want, except the WH it seems. Argentina can come here to give it to Carter. Happy now?

Fern

This level of partisanship is astounding. It doesn't matter that Carter was a Democratic president, he was a president. If we're really in a place where the president isn't letting a foreign nation honor a former chief executive because he's from the wrong party and said something mean to him then that's just a level of immaturity and pettiness that I don't want to think about.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Trump just wants Carter to produce his long form birth certificate before he allows it to go forward, right Fern?

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not unhinged.

Fern
No, but it was probably very insightful, accurate and beyond drumpf's vocabulary skills.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not unhinged.

Fern

so it's offensive because one is a democrat and the other is a republican?

You're not unhinged?

wow.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, but it was probably very insightful, accurate and beyond drumpf's vocabulary skills.

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I'm like, no, I have no idea what Carter said about Trump, but I a guarantee that it was 100% true and honest. Maybe if Trump weren't a 3rd grader, he'd be able to get over it.

But he's not. And Fern and others seem wholly enamored with this 3rd grader.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009
I was thinking the same thing, lol. I'm like, no, I have no idea what Carter said about Trump, but I a guarantee that it was 100% true and honest. Maybe if Trump weren't a 3rd grader, he'd be able to get over it.

But he's not. And Fern and others seem wholly enamored with this 3rd grader.

To my knowledge Carter sat this one out like he always does.
Carter is interesting because he was the wrong guy for the time but his influence has been huge. I sometimes wonder if we'll say something similar about Trump in 30-40 years.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

You're not unhinged?

wow.

So you just up and decided to interject the concept of "offensive" and then attribute it to me?

Dishonest fvckers.

Fern

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Trump is a petty ass, but then again so are his most rabid detractors. Much of the time I just see opposite sides of the SAME stupidity coin.

Unhinged, stupid people complaining about everything another stupid person does doesn't make the rabid complainers any less stupid.

This is just much ado about nothing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Trump is a petty ass, but then again so are his most rabid detractors. Much of the time I just see opposite sides of the SAME stupidity coin.

Unhinged, stupid people complaining about everything another stupid person does doesn't make the rabid complainers any less stupid.

This is just much ado about nothing.

- a rabid complainer

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti
Feb 4, 2009
Per Snopes its unproven:

http://www.snopes.com/macri-trump-carter-award/

The Argentinian government had announced on 30 March 2017 that Carter would be receiving the Order of San Martín, calling him “a defender of human rights” during his presidency and praising his offer in 1979 to accept up to 3,000 people who had been detained by the country’s ruling junta at the time. However, the announcement did not specify that Carter would be honored during Macri’s visit.

We reached out to the Argentinian embassy to the U.S. seeking comment but have yet to hear back. A spokesperson for the Carter Center, the not-for-profit group founded by the former president, told us via email:

President Carter is honored to receive this prestigious award from Argentina, and looks forward to accepting it in Atlanta at a date yet to be determined.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

OMG he called Trump incompetent and immoral.

Apparently that is dishonest, mean, and deserving of Trump's ire to people like Fern and other fluffers.

what the hell, man? No one voted for Trump because they thought he was honest, moral, or nice and you fucking know that. Not even you! :D
So, please, tell me again where Jimmy hurt wee Trumples on the little trump doll.

But seriously, bro: please, be honest with your rage. ;)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Trump really comes across as how his mouth looks. I wonder if this guy has even 1 (ONE) actual decent human quality.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Awesome! Snopes will suddenly be awesome and true and the best news for a handful of people...for at least a little while. ;)

You guys don't seem to get how this works, it's just like the media. When they report something conservatives don't like it's because they are biased. When they report something conservatives do like it's because the news was so totally obvious and true that they had to report it despite their bias. Never for a second will they allow the uncomfortable thought that maybe these groups aren't biased.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Wow... Sad.

Trump did flex his influence and had Argentina bend over and take it without argument though.

Don't know which is sadder.

Not sad, smart. Every world leader the man has met with has done the same and its the only sane play. You are getting the best out of an impossible situation. For your country.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Fern

I think that is an fantastic idea.. The fewer decisions presented to this admin the better, less things to eff up.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

You're not unhinged?

wow.

For real. Obama would have had no problem with George Bush (either one) getting an award at the White House. But apparently the behavioral expectations for a president is now that of a toddler.