Trump banned from Twitter permanantly

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
In the book, this took extensive torture and brainwashing, and it seemed so far fetched as to be silly hyperbole.
Thanks for sharing your perspective; always enjoy reading how others process things. Did you know Orwell hated Catholicism? Because that, I think, was the basis for it in the novel. Their traditional liturgy involves repeating the same prayers over and over and self flagellation. Most assuredly a form of mental conditioning/brain washing. Big brother/the state supplants religion, which based on Orwell's life experience, made it a logical extrapolation.

Mar 11, 2004
Have to multiply the message. The more times it gets said/posted, the truthier it becomes. The more shit you fling at the wall, the more likely some of it will begin to stick.
Flooding the zone & gaming the algorithms. Trump couldn't do it all on his lonesome.

I get what they were doing, I was just remarking that it was the same reason they've been purging that shit for years now, bots and mults while the conservatives scream about losing their online "friends" and so those thousands of accounts were likely maybe just hundreds with the rest being largely fake/bots/mults. It wasn't 70k people being silenced. It was a smaller contingent of raging shitheads spewing hate having all their sock puppet accounts banned, and thus their howls of losing their 1st amendment rights is laughable because that's happened several times over the past few years and yet we've kept hearing form the fuckers, often on the social media platforms they're decrying for supposedly silencing them.

Reactions: Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump can walk a few yards to the briefing room and assure himself of an audience. He doesn't need Twitter to get a message out.
But he's a terrible orator. He has no mind of his own. He reacts. He loved Twitter because he could conjure something in his mind, spew it in his fractured English and click [SEND]. In front of a lectern he's a doofus.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How many people actually did this though? Did trump even support violence or just protestors? (no way to tell now all of the tweets are gone... convenient)
Those tweets aren't gone, they're just hidden. Twitter has them on their servers and I'm sure a lot of Trump's tweets (the more incendiary, ones) are copied to data outside the Twitter universe.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Those tweets aren't gone, they're just hidden. Twitter has them on their servers and I'm sure a lot of Trump's tweets (the more incendiary, ones) are copied to data outside the Twitter universe.

Definitely. Based on the Presidential Records and Retention Act, they must be.

Reactions: Muse

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is fucking amazing how today's liberals are more capitalist than today's conservatives. A private business is in no way required to publish your speech. Your free speech rights are not violated when a private business declines to publish your speech. Quit being a fucking communist.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It is fucking amazing how today's liberals are more capitalist than today's conservatives. A private business is in no way required to publish your speech. Your free speech rights are not violated when a private business declines to publish your speech. Quit being a fucking communist.
They’re fascists; that’s how fascism works.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One important distinction is that they firmly believe private businesses should not be required to publish YOUR speech. They think private business should be required to publish THEIR speech though.

It's a mistake to think this isn't a set of coherent principles though because it is, it's just that the guiding principle is benefit to the tribe, not some sort of neutral legal/moral purpose.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Then how do you know it’s selective enforcement?
Take the hashtag hangmikepence. Sure, Twitter banned the hashtag, but no users who posted it. Thats one example. As I mentioned, Khomeini is another.

edit: here is Twitters policy on violent threats, which Khomeini has violated several times (just go read his Twitter!). Nowhere in this policy says its only applicable to the USA.

Violent threats policy (twitter.com)

So yeah. Selective.

edit2: Twitter defends blocking Trump tweets but not Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei (nypost.com)

A Twitter spokeswoman has defended the company’s decision to block and restrict tweets from President Trump but not those of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei which call for genocide of the Israeli people.
The reason? Because the Iranian dictator’s tweets pass as “commentary on political issues of the day” while Trump’s could “inspire harm,” Twitter claims.

uh...LOL

“Why have you not flagged the tweets of Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei who has literally called for the genocide of Israel and the Jewish people?” he asked.
In an astonishing response, the Twitter spokeswoman claimed that tweets from the Iranian leader — where he has publicly called for the “elimination” of Israel — amounted to little more than “foreign policy saber-rattling.”

Yeah. OK.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Take the hashtag hangmikepence. Sure, Twitter banned the hashtag, but no users who posted it. Thats one example. As I mentioned, Khomeini is another.

edit: here is Twitters policy on violent threats, which Khomeini has violated several times (just go read his Twitter!). Nowhere in this policy says its only applicable to the USA.

Violent threats policy (twitter.com)

So yeah. Selective.

edit2: Twitter defends blocking Trump tweets but not Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei (nypost.com)

uh...LOL

Yeah. OK.
Dude I’m asking this seriously - are you insane.

Twitter banned him because his words ACTUALLY LED TO VIOLENT ACTION AND HE WAS CONTINUING TO INCITE MORE.

To any reasonable person there has been selective enforcement of Twitter’s rules, yes, but they have been almost comically slanted in Trump’s favor. The list of rules he has violated and the number of times he has violated them are simply too many to count. Conservatives should thank Twitter for not banning him years ago instead of whining about how unfair it is after he got five people killed.

Even when you guys get preferential treatment you’re still victims. What does it take for you guys to stop crying about how picked on you are?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Dude I’m asking this seriously - are you insane.

Twitter banned him because his words ACTUALLY LED TO VIOLENT ACTION AND HE WAS CONTINUING TO INCITE MORE.

To any reasonable person there has been selective enforcement of Twitter’s rules, yes, but they have been almost comically slanted in Trump’s favor. The list of rules he has violated and the number of times he has violated them are simply too many to count. Conservatives should thank Twitter for not banning him years ago instead of whining about how unfair it is after he got five people killed.

Even when you guys get preferential treatment you’re still victims. What does it take for you guys to stop crying about how picked on you are?

I couldnt give two shits. I often, even here, have said Trump should stay off Twitter. Its not Trump's ban that concerns me, its why allow one person to say something yet not another? Surely you dont think Trump's Tweets are worse than Khomeini's? Seriously? And I also dont give two two shits...Trump did not make those people terrorize the capital. Sorry. Thats their doing.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I couldnt give two shits. I often, even here, have said Trump should stay off Twitter. Its not Trump's ban that concerns me, its why allow one person to say something yet not another? Surely you dont think Trump's Tweets are worse than Khomeini's? Seriously?
Five people are dead. Trump got special treatment from Twitter for years and it took a pile of bodies to change that. Trump should have been banned years ago, that was the selective enforcement. It was in his favor!

And I also dont give two two shits...Trump did not make those people terrorize the capital. Sorry. Thats their doing.
He did not make them, but he incited them to do it. This is a crime.

So yeah, Twitter decided the guy who just likely committed a crime that got people killed and then was trying to commit more crimes on their platform shouldn’t be able to do that anymore. You know, like sane people

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I couldnt give two shits. I often, even here, have said Trump should stay off Twitter. Its not Trump's ban that concerns me, its why allow one person to say something yet not another? Surely you dont think Trump's Tweets are worse than Khomeini's? Seriously? And I also dont give two two shits...Trump did not make those people terrorize the capital. Sorry. Thats their doing.

Ignoring the whataboutism defense of Trump for a moment.

Trumps Tweets can actually harm America, Khomeini's can't and they do remove Khomeini's tweets.

I'm sure if his threats actually became an imminent threat to America, his account would be terminated as well.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So yeah. Selective.

Yes, let's be selective.

It is past time to ban the ringleader of violence against our Capitol.
When his words lead to this:

g6_8q8X9

A foreign leader didn't do that. Our President did. Now US military has to defend the US Capitol from Republicans.
That's selectively ON POINT.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes, let's be selective.

It is past time to ban the ringleader of violence against our Capitol.
When his words lead to this:

g6_8q8X9

A foreign leader didn't do that. Our President did. Now US military has to defend the US Capitol from Republicans.
That's selectively ON POINT.

Which tweet led to this? Protip: none. It was Trump supporters that led to this.

edit: oh I found it.

“We’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them, because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong.”
“I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

Fuck yeah. That has "storm the capital and commit acts of violence" all over it. :rolleyes:

This was no ones fault but the terrorists who did it.

Last edited:

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Which tweet led to this? Protip: none. It was Trump supporters that led to this.

edit: oh I found it.

Fuck yeah. That has "storm the capital and commit acts of violence" all over it. :rolleyes:

This was no ones fault but the terrorists who did it.

Protip: Neither you nor Trump owns Twitter so relax with the bitching.

Reactions: cytg111