Trump asks at briefing if he can nuke hurricanes to stop them (Not The Onion)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bill1024

Jun 14, 2017
Taxes are not too high and spending is not too high. That is a high school dropout level approach to economics, which is why I and others here who have been debating these topics for decades are going to call you out when you drop something so elementary in this forum. If you want to keep it classy, I am more than willing to do so but you have to put in the effort yourself. If I wanted to hear "taxes and spending are too high" I could wait for Thanksgiving and hear it from my crazy drunk uncle like everyone else.

Yeah ok, you're right and everyone else is wrong LOL that is funny.
I got to send NY state 37,000$ in land and school taxes last year on the few buildings I own, that's not counting income taxes. I am sorry, but I think I could do better with that money than giving it to NY. I have to pay those taxes even when there is no tenants in the building.
Taxes are too high and so is spending. There is no right or wrong. It is an opinion.
People have a right to have an opinion. I really could use that money to put into the buildings.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah ok, you're right and everyone else is wrong LOL that is funny.
I got to send NY state 37,000$ in land and school taxes last year on the few buildings I own, that's not counting income taxes. I am sorry, but I think I could do better with that money than giving it to NY. I have to pay those taxes even when there is no tenants in the building.
Taxes are too high and so is spending. There is no right or wrong. It is an opinion.
People have a right to have an opinion. I really could use that money to put into the buildings.
So first of all you seem to be complaining about state and local taxes in order to justify your position on federal taxes. Does that seem like a smart thing to do?

If you don't like NY taxes, sell your buildings and go somewhere else. Property taxes are part of the equation when deciding to maintain real estate, and have nothing to do with our deficit or entitlements.

How about you switch to complaining about some federal taxes and federal spending Then I can explain why yes, everyone else is wrong about that as well and how no, that isn't really an opinion.

Reactions: snoopy7548

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I wonder if he's just trolling to get free press. If you guys haven't noticed he's very very good at getting noticed. Do you really think he would actually believe that throwing a nuke into a hurricane is a smart move? Or, do you think he's like "well I need some attention. What should I say today that will garner some attention? Oh I know. I'll tweet that I think it's a good idea to drop a nuke into a hurricane." If it's the 2nd option, it's working very well.

Think about it. He's got everyone talking about this. Which means he's getting attention. It's mainly negative attention, but you know what they say. Any attention is good attention.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder iof he's just trolling to get free press. If you guys haven't noticed he's very very good at getting noticed. Do you really think he would actually believe that throwing a nuke into a hurricane is a smart move? ...
Trump really is that stupid. This isn't even close to the first instance of him asking about why we don't use nukes for ridiculous reasons. The fact that he mentioned this during briefings that are not open to the public should answer your retarded question about if Trump did this intentionally to get press. It was never his intention for this to get out, well, unless it actually was a good idea and then he would be singing loudly at every opportunity about how it was all his idea.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Y'all do know that this isn't the first time someone's proposed just this course of action....probably many, many times given that NOAA has a web page devoted to addressing just this question:

Subject: C5c) Why don't we try to destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them ?
https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html
Y'all know there are a huge number of imbeciles on the planet that think nuking things is the answer to everything, right? We talk of the moron with a hammer who sees everything as a nail?????? It's sort of why we have this thingi called education. To be in your seventies and think you can drop a nuke on a hurricane to end it requires being a moron first class.

What we have with Trump is the Dunning Kruger Effect tied to a massive narcissist. It's a recipe for disaster and a guaranteed shit show. We have in him not just a first degree ignoramus who imagines he knows things, but one whose addled and half baked notions that randomly pops into his head must to him appear to be God inspired genius.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Do you think that a nuke would be enough to destroy his ego? :eek::p
Yes and not only that. I think the ego is the source of human misery, misery so great that we have an unconscious death wish, with the greater the ego the greater urge to end it all. I think it is why we built nuclear weapons and are generally a cancer on the planet. And we would rather die than know it.