Trump Administration Rushes To Sell Oil Rights In Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
my hope is that this process will literally bleed these oil fucks dry as they fight litigation, delays, working groups to test feasibility and cost in actually being profitable in that area, and just drag it out in court and planning until there is very little money left in the endeavor, all the while they wasted all this time and resources in what they could have otherwise been doing to actually keep themselves alive in the very near future--work towards converting their interests to non-oil energy sources.

But, they are dumb humans. I hope they go poor due to their continued myopia, and the people that ignorantly support them and their efforts suffer equally, because it would all be their own decision to do so.

Feb 4, 2009
Nobody with a good business plan will buy this, unless it is a fire sale price. They know all the next President has to do is sign his name on an executive order.

Reactions: thilanliyan

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump's got ~ two months to hide any and all of the corruptive unseen "deals" he and his cohorts have made for personal gain. As well, they've got that same amount of time to ransack, loot and pillage the gov't coffers as they clean out their desks and make ready to vacate the premises.

Lots to do in two month's time. That the Biden team is being held back from transitioning in is a rather "more than a coincidence" kind of thang.

Jus' say'in.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
If any of the four current lawsuits succeed, that will push it past the inauguration. If the vetting of the winning bidders takes too long, that also pushes it past the inauguration. Fingers crossed.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It seems Trump thinks nature is a waste of resources and a complete landscape of wells and pumps and pipelines is an image of progress. It's like he just dropped out of time from the pre-Teddy R Industrial or Gilded Age. It almost seems like he wants Mordor for Mordor’s sake.

Biden should open up offshore drilling near Mar a Largo… Fuck it, lets start drilling in and on Mar a Largo. start with the putting green and golf course.

Reactions: tweaker2

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Biden should open up offshore drilling near Mar a Largo… Fuck it, lets start drilling in and on Mar a Largo. start with the putting green and golf course.

Trump tried to reopen drilling off California so this would be in the "turnabout is fair play" category.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
This is a seriously dumb move. Oil and natural gas are on their way out. Why would you spend tons of money investing infrastructure in a region that is extremely challenging to work in just for the sake of extracting resources that are going to continue to decline in value? Just to screw the one of the last, large pristine wilderness areas in the world.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It seems Trump thinks nature is a waste of resources and a complete landscape of wells and pumps and pipelines is an image of progress. It's like he just dropped out of time from the pre-Teddy R Industrial or Gilded Age. It almost seems like he wants Mordor for Mordor’s sake.

I've had this fantasy of turning all Trump properties into Super Abortion facilities, and all golf courses (ALL OF THEM, not just Trump's), into Nuclear power plants (Green energy!) and nuclear waste containment sites. Finally, an actual use for that landmass, which are already superfund sites.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump tried to reopen drilling off California so this would be in the "turnabout is fair play" category.

Just do what the Scottish did, and build offshore windmills in complete view of Mar a Lago, an entire wall of them, so that it's all he can think about.

For those that don't know--this is a years-long battle he has had with the Scottish and his shithole of a golf course up there, and is the singular reason that he goes stark raving mad about windmills whenever that idea farts into word form and escapes past his abscessed gums.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
my hope is that this process will literally bleed these oil fucks dry as they fight litigation, delays, working groups to test feasibility and cost in actually being profitable in that area, and just drag it out in court and planning until there is very little money left in the endeavor, all the while they wasted all this time and resources in what they could have otherwise been doing to actually keep themselves alive in the very near future--work towards converting their interests to non-oil energy sources.

But, they are dumb humans. I hope they go poor due to their continued myopia, and the people that ignorantly support them and their efforts suffer equally, because it would all be their own decision to do so.
Hey, we can only do so much here. The oil companies won't be using Seattle or Tacoma harbors to stage their BS, we already chased them out once.

Reactions: zinfamous

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is a seriously dumb move. Oil and natural gas are on their way out. Why would you spend tons of money investing infrastructure in a region that is extremely challenging to work in just for the sake of extracting resources that are going to continue to decline in value? Just to screw the one of the last, large pristine wilderness areas in the world.

Realistically, oil & gas are part of the energy supply for decades to come. OTOH, We don't need to drill in the ANWR. Pushing to sell leases is just another way to obtain the delicious Libruhl tears.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Realistically, oil & gas are part of the energy supply for decades to come. OTOH, We don't need to drill in the ANWR. Pushing to sell leases is just another way to obtain the delicious Libruhl tears.
Sure, but decades is a fairly short time frame for the level of infrastructure needed to go in there, particularly considering both wind and solar are cheaper at this point. The supply for the coming decades should come from existing operations and those that are easily developed.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Donald Trump will do a lot of harm on his way out because he knows if the senate remains under Republican control there is little a president Joe Biden can do about it. President Joe may impose executive orders to reverse some of the damage, but president Joe will need a Democrat controlled congress to really correct the damage left by Donald Trump. And you know.... in any other country if the outgoing leader even tried some of the crap that Donald Trump is doing, that outgoing president would be arrested.... or assassinated. Food for thought.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It seems unlikely that there will be much interest in the short term as the new administration will be able to make obtaining the necessary drilling permits extremely difficult to get. That could very well drive the price of those leases down to the point that it becomes feasible to go through the process.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017

Mordor for Mordor's sake is an excellent way of putting it. Trump is like the Underminer at the end of The Incredibles--"I'm always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me! I hereby declare war on peace and happiness! "

It's mostly just Trump doing the hand-washes-another thing for the oil and gas people that supported him. He's almost certainly getting some kind of kickback from his.

Also, if Obama was for something, it's a certainty that Trump will try to erase it. Not sure Obama's history with drilling rights offhand. If Obama had come out FOR poverty and misery Trump would have dedicated himself to eradicating it (provided of course he could wet his beak).

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

do you drive a car or heat with nat. gas? are you including yourself in "the people that ignorantly support them" and you plan to also "suffer equally" ?

I agree we don't need to drill in anwar, and I doubt he will get much traction from large oil companies, unless its really cheap. at some point, we will have to drill up there, but not for a long long time.

also, demand is the thing that makes the oil companies powerful, nothing else. Every one of us is part of that demand. we demand cheap, plentiful energy to support our standard of living. Oil and gas have given it to us as a true and hugely net positive energy source. Oil and gas when you include every step of every energy transaction it takes to get every BOE out of the ground is still hugely net positive in pure BTU / watts over renewables that are net positive, but by factors of 10 less so.

the demand equation was proven out during the pandemic.

yes, i work in the industry. We also have a planned 9.9kw solar system and an electric car. I get it, I whole heartedly support renewables and put our dollars towards that goal, but I am a realist as well.

oil companies only produce because there is demand, just like every other business.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Also, if Obama was for something, it's a certainty that Trump will try to erase it. Not sure Obama's history with drilling rights offhand. If Obama had come out FOR poverty and misery Trump would have dedicated himself to eradicating it (provided of course he could wet his beak).

drilling activity was quite high during the Obama admin, despite all the yelling and crying. He did some things that increased regulations and remove some federal land from drilling opportunities, but nothing too crazy. Drilling activity follows global price and demand, and is mostly independent of whoever is in the Whitehouse.