Trump Admin Suspending Global Entry Program for NY residents for Dubious Reasons

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The word salad

NY doesn’t get to set immigration policy, its really that simple

Straw man. The federal government doesn’t get to selectively apply regulations to states.

AGs are increasingly becoming a political arm of the executives they serve, and Cuomo is one of the biggest hacks in the game.

I like how when you are informed that the governor doesn’t control the AG instead of admitting you were wrong you just say he secretly does anyway.

That’s funny, those crimes were readily apparent to most New Yorkers even back in the 80s and 90s, but Albany didn’t take any interest in Trump back when he was a card carrying Democrat just splashing around in the swamp.
Interesting that you think actually enforcing the law is ‘weaponizing’ it, instead of criticizing the previous corruption.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Straw man. The federal government doesn’t get to selectively apply regulations to states.
They’re not.

I like how when you are informed that the governor doesn’t control the AG instead of admitting you were wrong you just say he secretly does anyway.
No, you were arguing semantics around my point. By that logic, liberals should stop whining about Barr.

Interesting that you think actually enforcing the law is ‘weaponizing’ it, instead of criticizing the previous corruption.
When its done in a politically opportunistic way, it is weaponing it. Interesting that you ignore NY’s lack of concern over Trump’s finances when he was a Democrat.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Haha, trying assert that NY state hasn't previously cared about finances of trump is dubious, at best.

He's just defending the indefensible by attacking the other side. Standard whataboutism. He knows full well that this isn't about border control but about punishing NYS for issuing licenses to undocumented immigrants. But lying is OK, when it's Trump doing it. I mean, it's all for a good cause, right? Not that the actual cause is ever mentioned, of course.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He's just defending the indefensible by attacking the other side. Standard whataboutism. He knows full well that this isn't about border control but about punishing NYS for issuing licenses to undocumented immigrants. But lying is OK, when it's Trump doing it. I mean, it's all for a good cause, right? Not that the actual cause is ever mentioned, of course.

Just ask Stephen Miller, he'll fill you in on the details of the cause.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
How is this not Trump & Co singling out NY despite the fact that 14 other states including GOP controlled Utah and swing states like Nevada have very similar drivers license laws..many of which MAY also shield the feds access to data.

I love how Cuccinelli claims NY law which says authorities can only share DL data when feds get "judicial permission" and blocks DHS from "accessing relevant info." they need to perform checks. Sounds like bullshit to me - as I understand it, NY through the state Department of Criminal Justice Services automatically sends the FBI all it's arrest, warrant and conviction data. Tha'ts more than sufficient for the feds to do due diligence.

The Trump admin. posturing will inconvenience millions of NYers who will see screening lines get longer, and more importantly hinder TSA officials to focus their anti terror resources on the people who pose real risks to national security.

Just another of Trumps selective war on NY. Cuccinelli also banned NY from new enrollments in in global entry, nexus, sentri and fast

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They’re not.
Interesting, I must have missed the actions against those other states with the same type of law then, can you link to them? Thanks in advance.

No, you were arguing semantics around my point. By that logic, liberals should stop whining about Barr.
False, Barr reports directly to the president and the president is his boss, unlike state AGs.

You said Cuomo was using the state attorney general against Trump when this is someone he doesn’t control. You then tried to make an analogy to the federal AG who the executive does control. Now you’ve said two plainly wrong things. Just admit you made up some conspiracy theory about Cuomo because you wanted to #bothsides this instead of admitting Trump is weaponizing the government against his political enemies.

When its done in a politically opportunistic way, it is weaponing it. Interesting that you ignore NY’s lack of concern over Trump’s finances when he was a Democrat.
I don’t, I called it corruption, didn’t you read my post?

Now you’re explicitly calling for New York State to not investigate criminal activity because some other shitty AG didn’t in the past. Do you know how insane your argument is?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Interesting, I must have missed the actions against those other states with the same type of law then, can you link to them? Thanks in advance.
NY is the first. They are welcome to challenge it.

False, Barr reports directly to the president and the president is his boss, unlike state AGs.
Please. Democrats have repeatedly whined about Barr being an extension of the Trump agenda rather than an independent body.

You said Cuomo was using the state attorney general against Trump when this is someone he doesn’t control. You then tried to make an analogy to the federal AG who the executive does control. Now you’ve said two plainly wrong things. Just admit you made up some conspiracy theory about Cuomo because you wanted to #bothsides this instead of admitting Trump is weaponizing the government against his political enemies.
Cuomo has repeatedly asserted his position as belligerent towards Trump.

!I don’t, I called it corruption, didn’t you read my post?

Now you’re explicitly calling for New York State to not investigate criminal activity because some other shitty AG didn’t in the past. Do you know how insane your argument is?
It’s not insane at all

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Other states have had these laws for much longer, yet nothing happened. This is common sense. You know that Trump is doing it for retribution the same as the rest of us, you’re just dug in too deep to admit it.

Please. Democrats have repeatedly whined about Barr being an extension of the Trump agenda rather than an independent body.
Lol you literally don’t know how our government works.
The federal justice department is part of the executive branch and the AG answers to the president. There are governing norms where the DOJ was given independence because of the obvious conflicts of interest inherent in that structure, norms Barr and Trump have disregarded so that they can weaponize federal law enforcement against their enemies. If Barr doesn’t do what Trump wants, Trump can fire him.

The New York State AG on the other hand is an elected official in her own right and does not answer to the governor. If Cuomo doesn’t like what she does, too bad. It’s pretty clear you thought the NYS AG worked for Cuomo which is why you made up that conspiracy theory. You were wrong.

Irrelevant. You claimed he was doing something he literally can’t do.

It’s not insane at all
’states should ignore crimes because a previous DA did’ is pretty fucking insane, haha.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

It’s not insane at all
Keep trying Buttercup......

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Other states have had these laws for much longer, yet nothing happened. This is common sense. You know that Trump is doing it for retribution the same as the rest of us, you’re just dug in too deep to admit it.
Cuomo has complained that DHS did not coordinate with NY prior to making this announcement. That is a two way street. How do you know those other states did not communicate or coordinate with DHS to ensure no adverse impact for easy entry of their residents? How do you know that there isn’t something specific to the NY law that crossed a line? I mean, NY can barely handle getting road signs right for the nepotistic renaming of a bridge, you expect them to get verification correct? Or maybe there is a higher proportion of undocumented people in NY such that the law forced DHS’ hand.

Lol you literally don’t know how our government works.
The federal justice department is part of the executive branch and the AG answers to the president. There are governing norms where the DOJ was given independence because of the obvious conflicts of interest inherent in that structure, norms Barr and Trump have disregarded so that they can weaponize federal law enforcement against their enemies. If Barr doesn’t do what Trump wants, Trump can fire him.
Good, so Democrats can stop whining about Barr

The New York State AG on the other hand is an elected official in her own right and does not answer to the governor. If Cuomo doesn’t like what she does, too bad. It’s pretty clear you thought the NYS AG worked for Cuomo which is why you made up that conspiracy theory. You were wrong.
It’s obvious the two are working towards the same goal, so no

’states should ignore crimes because a previous DA did’ is pretty fucking insane, haha.
No, I think states should continue to express their deep concern for crimes against their political opponents when it is opportunistic to do so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Cuomo has complained that DHS did not coordinate with NY prior to making this announcement. That is a two way street. How do you know those other states did not communicate or coordinate with DHS to ensure no adverse impact for easy entry of their residents? How do you know that there isn’t something specific to the NY law that crossed a line? I mean, NY can barely handle getting road signs right for the nepotistic renaming of a bridge, you expect them to get verification correct? Or maybe there is a higher proportion of undocumented people in NY such that the law forced DHS’ hand.
Oh okay, we have now gotten to the ‘make shit up’ phase. Great.

Are you even reading what you are responding to or are you just arguing to avoid admitting you’re wrong?

Barr is unethical and corrupt. Even if he is doing so on Trump’s orders he is still culpable. If he didn’t want to act unethically the right answer is to resign. Since he has not done so he is equally responsible.

Sometimes I am astounded at how incapable you are of admitting even the slightest error, even when they are indisputable.

No, I think states should continue to express their deep concern for crimes against their political opponents when it is opportunistic to do so.
Should they investigate the crimes or no? Should be an easy question to answer.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

More dishonesty & obfuscation. When the reasons given for any action simply do not correlate to the stated goal that means they're lying about the goal. You're defending it.

The whole thing about auto exports is bullshit. When Schmo Inc. sells their old fleet of trucks to Auto Broker Inc. who sells them to a foreign buyer, it doesn't have a damned thing to do with driver's licenses. Except in Trumplandia where truth isn't truth & they have alternative facts for everything.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Oh okay, we have now gotten to the ‘make shit up’ phase. Great.
Which part was made up?

Are you even reading what you are responding to or are you just arguing to avoid admitting you’re wrong?
What am I wrong about

Barr is unethical and corrupt. Even if he is doing so on Trump’s orders he is still culpable. If he didn’t want to act unethically the right answer is to resign. Since he has not done so he is equally responsible.
Which has nothing to do with my earlier point of some blue state governors and AGs playing resistance.

Sometimes I am astounded at how incapable you are of admitting even the slightest error, even when they are indisputable.
I similarly don’t understand why you want me to admit error for a point I didn’t make. You like to find little threads and fixate and pull on them. If you want to destroy my sweater, hold this thread as I walk away.

Should they investigate the crimes or no? Should be an easy question to answer.
Yes they should, and the defendant of those crimes has a right to point out the political motivations of those investigations, and also don’t expect people like me to then vote for your candidates when the political opportunism of your party’s ethics is plain to see.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Which part was made up?

What am I wrong about
The myriad reasons you’re now inventing for DHS’s decision because you can’t justify it on the merits because of their inaction with other states.

Why you are so interested in defending rank corruption is beyond me.

Which has nothing to do with my earlier point of some blue state governors and AGs playing resistance.
Then why did you bring him up?

I similarly don’t understand why you want me to admit error for a point I didn’t make. You like to find little threads and fixate and pull on them. If you want to destroy my sweater, hold this thread as I walk away.
If you really need me to go quote you I will. The error you made was basic and obvious.

Yes they should, and the defendant of those crimes has a right to point out the political motivations of those investigations, and also don’t expect people like me to then vote for your candidates when the political opportunism of your party’s ethics is plain to see.
Hahaha I would LOVE if he did that: ‘they never tried to prosecute me for all the other crimes I committed so why now?!?’ Lol.

Regardless, if you want to vote for the most corrupt president in history or those who are actively enabling him because you’ve decided you’re mad at democrats for not prosecuting him before than knock yourself out! You have to live with yourself, not me.