Trump Admin Suspending Global Entry Program for NY residents for Dubious Reasons

Dec 10, 2005

The Trump administration expects to kick “roughly 175,000 New Yorkers” out of Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler Programs by the end of this year, and bar other New Yorkers from joining, in retaliation for a state law that limits immigration agents’ access to the state’s driver’s license data, a senior official said Thursday. The administration also threatened to take action against other states that push to limit immigration agents’ access to state-level data.

The Trump administration is trying to force states to enforce Federal laws using extremely dubious rationale. I'm old enough to remember when conservatives were crying about "states' rights"...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Looks like Virginia may be next—which would suck as I’ll need to renew mine at Dulles in a few years (closest permanent processing office near me.)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No,l theyre not.

What they're doing is *lying*. They want access to all the records, not just of people in the global entry program. The kind of license given to undocumented people isn't Real ID & is therefore not eligible for global entry in the first place. It's just fucking people over & pandering to the base.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Expedited entry programs are a privilege, not a right, predicated by the ability of DHS to quickly identify qualifying citizens based on federally defined criteria.

The state of NY made a sovereign choice. That choice now renders NY forms of identification ineligible for federally managed quick entry programs.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and IJTSSG

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The PA should close Teterboro and make all the privates clear immigration with the little people at EWR. Trump would relent in hours.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Expedited entry programs are a privilege, not a right, predicated by the ability of DHS to quickly identify qualifying citizens based on federally defined criteria.

The state of NY made a sovereign choice. That choice now renders NY forms of identification ineligible for federally managed quick entry programs.

So dishonest. Expedited entry is predicated on having a passport in the first place. For that, a person needs Real ID, something undocumented drivers in NYS don't get. You know it's all a lie.

Dec 10, 2005
So dishonest. Expedited entry is predicated on having a passport in the first place. For that, a person needs Real ID, something undocumented drivers in NYS don't get. You know it's all a lie.
You don't even need a DL.

Also, we're relying on the DMV to keep us safe? LOL

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I smell an equal protection lawsuit win coming. You cannot take unique vindictive political actions against a state.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You don't even need a DL.

Also, we're relying on the DMV to keep us safe? LOL

The fact remains that undocumented people can't provide the kind of ID needed to get a US passport in the first place. The fact remains that people who already enjoy expedited treatment will lose it thru no fault of their own. It's thuggery & base pandering.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Pop quiz for you:

1. Is it a program requirement to have a drivers license or state ID to be eligible for global entry?
2. What document do you absolutely have to have to be eligible for global entry?
3. Is a D/L or state ID a requirement to obtain that document?
4. Can you admit you're wrong?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Pop quiz for you:

1. Is it a program requirement to have a drivers license or state ID to be eligible for global entry?
You need a passport and another form of ID, a driver’s license being one of them...assuming you don’t live in New York

2. What document do you absolutely have to have to be eligible for global entry?
Passport

3. Is a D/L or state ID a requirement to obtain that document?
No, but the federal government can exclude driver’s licenses as being eligible, as is now the case for New York

4. Can you admit you're wrong?
Can you admit that you suffer from TDS?

Reactions: brandonbull

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I smell an equal protection lawsuit win coming. You cannot take unique vindictive political actions against a state.
You can if the state takes uniquely sovereign actions that render their identification useless for federal identification purposes.

Last edited:

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
The States Rights fucktards suddenly forgot their fucktardness when weed was legalized.

Neighboring states were crying about how Colorado was making life difficult for them on the weed smoking side of things. So, they ran like little bitches to the Big Ol' Gubnament begging for help and assistance.

States Rights for me to enslave human beings and do all sorts of evil shit.

No States Rights when them thar Liburals wanna do Libural things.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
NY should have thought through the implications of falling out of compliance

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Looks like Virginia may be next—which would suck as I’ll need to renew mine at Dulles in a few years (closest permanent processing office near me.)
Just get a CONUS passport card. I've used nothing but passports for ID at airports for the last 15 years.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
From what I have read, NY State is restricting access to the drivers license database so CBP cannot verify eligibility into the Trusted Traveler program. Without that access, even if one has a valid passport, CBP cannot complete its required background check for that person.