Trump admin doesnt like the ACA, until it does

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So it appears nine states that run their own exchanges have opened up enrollment in the midst of all the layoffs due to COVID19. Looks like the Trump admin is also considering it. Will be interesting to see!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So it appears nine states that run their own exchanges have opened up enrollment in the midst of all the layoffs due to COVID19. Looks like the Trump admin is also considering it. Will be interesting to see!

This is hilarious, if it wasn't so sad.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Open it up for this year, kill it for next year so we can have that marvelous plan they can't tell us about until after the election. Because reasons.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Open it up for this year, kill it for next year so we can have that marvelous plan they can't tell us about until after the election. Because reasons.

Despite what he says, I doubt the ACA will be going away.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Despite what he says, I doubt the ACA will be going away.

It's pending before the SCOTUS & the Admin has declined to defend it. The SCOTUS originally ruled it to be constitutional on the basis that it was a tax, the individual mandate penalty. Trump & the GOP reduced the penalty to zero, making it not a tax, & GOP states sued. Don't want no gubmint dependency.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Their goal is definitely hoping that right wing judicial activism will kill the ACA so it’s not their ‘fault’.

The only problem is if the courts do that then basically the rule of law no longer matters in the US.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I was just wondering the other day if we will have to bail out the insurers, due to their heavy losses in the stock market together with the much higher claims due to Covid-19.

It amazes me that the states reopened the plans to permit special enrollment now, or that the insurers went along with that. Doesn't make financial sense to the insurers I would think.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's pending before the SCOTUS & the Admin has declined to defend it. The SCOTUS originally ruled it to be constitutional on the basis that it was a tax, the individual mandate penalty. Trump & the GOP reduced the penalty to zero, making it not a tax, & GOP states sued. Don't want no gubmint dependency.

Right, but in the end blackangst is probably right or seriously we don’t have a legal system anymore.

The idea that an individual mandate that explicitly costs people $0 is an unconstitutional burden on people that must cause the law to be struck down because it can’t be severed from the overall law despite congress doing exactly that would be a level of magical thinking that we have never seen before.