Trump ‘Playing Politics’ With Lives As FEMA Grabs Ventilators

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

The Federal Emergency Management Agency hijacked 500 ventilators ordered by the state for COVID-19 patients, but Trump restored 100 as a special favor to Gardner in a move that will help the vulnerable lawmaker’s reelection, complained Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.).

“President Trump says we will get 100 as a courtesy to Senator Gardner. That means, because the president is playing politics with public health, we’re still 400 ventilators short from what we should have received,” DeGette said in a statement Wednesday. Trump’s “mismanagement of this crisis is costing lives and livelihoods.”

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer — a Democrat who Trump has frequently targeted because of what he calls her “complaints” — revealed last month that vendors with whom her state had contracted for desperately needed medical equipment were told “not to send stuff,” on orders from the Trump administration. Other states were facing similar problems, she said.

While Michigan has received only a fraction of its requests from the national stockpile, Florida, led by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, last month received 100% of two major requests within three days, The Washington Post reported.

Several hospitals in seven states surveyed by the Los Angeles Times complained that FEMA officials were showing up unannounced and seizing their supplies, leaving them desperately short and uncertain where to turn for more equipment.

How is this not a war against some states?

Meanwhile..

1586537244399.pngSomeone explain to me.

Reactions: cytg111

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Like I said before, add it to the pile, then bring it up in November.
Remind everyone.
Hopefully about 2 million Americans will wise up and decide the Donald shouldnt be in office again.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
His whole presidency has just been a reality game show for him, and he makes the rules up as he goes.

I cannot fathom how stupid people who still support him are, or how much of a degenerate asshole they are, also. How do they function in society and the real world.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
In a time of national crisis Trump is playing politics using people's lives as barter. That's about as cold, as ruthless and as heartless as any human being can get. A true sign of a tyrant who makes things just that much worse because he is an insecure ignorant man child getting rid of anyone and any thing that gets in his way with the power to do just that.

Just another thing that his supporters simply adore him for, right?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

If the administration wasn't such a shitshow and actually had some organization and transparency, it would be easy to find out if these seizures were actually based on some sort of methodology.

As of now, we are forced to go off of assumptions based on prior performance and that the Admin is rerouting these to based on political planning and not based on data.

Reactions: Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
In a time of national crisis Trump is playing politics using people's lives as barter. That's about as cold, as ruthless and as heartless as any human being can get. A true sign of a tyrant who makes things just that much worse because he is an insecure ignorant man child getting rid of anyone and any thing that gets in his way with the power to do just that.

He's being tough! 🙄🙄

Reactions: tweaker2

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

It's also a very short walk from Trump's tactics and Kim Jung Un who had his Defense Minister executed with an anti-aircraft gun.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
An alternative take on the narrative
If the republicans can gerrymander the voting districts, perhaps they can gerrymander who lives and who dies by controlling the ventilators.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump's net approval has been -10 or worse in CO since mid 2017. Polis beat the republican for the Gov seat by 11 points. Nobody thinks Gardner has a chance in hell at keeping his seat.

The only thing less impressive than Trump's borderline evil approach to this crisis is the obvious futility of his political instincts against reality. I mean even if this helped politically (probably the opposite) this is a gap that can't be closed.

Reactions: Pohemi and skyking

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

If the administration wasn't such a shitshow and actually had some organization and transparency, it would be easy to find out if these seizures were actually based on some sort of methodology.

As of now, we are forced to go off of assumptions based on prior performance and that the Admin is rerouting these to based on political planning and not based on data.

Don't worry, Jared has it under control.

So let me get this straight. Once Trump officially acknowledges the pandemic is serous he says it's up to the governors of the states to get their own medical supplies. He doubles down. So the states start ordering supplies. But then the optics look bad so then he gets Jared to sneak around and confiscate state orders without telling anybody or explaining. What a ClusterFuck.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This is the state of the Republican party, and it's getting worse every day. Trump is doing his corruption, SCOTUS is acting as a bio-terrorist. Every day they are plumbing new lows, thinking sowing the wind thinking that the whirlwind will never come.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Is there a number listed anywhere for the number of people in the US who are presently on a ventilator? Google fails me.
I'm trying to figure out why there is a shortage as it appears that 160k are available. Are 160k people using those machines right now? My search suggests that isn't the case, but I can't find actual numbers. If the demand is due to expected need, what assumptions are being used?

Before we all go crazy and start shouting TRUMP!! I'm not looking to excuse him, I'm genuinely wondering why we're having such a massive supply shortage given the number available.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro