Trump’s lawyers argue he is able to commit virtually limitless crime

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Congressional Democrats want access to everything so they can decide if someone is doing something illegal. Dems want a carte blanche fishing expedition and are basically telling the Patriot Act to hold their beer.
He'd already be indicted if he wan't President, you obviously approve of criminal activity by a President. I expect the President to abide by the law like everyone else.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Isn't it interesting that the same people who 'warned' of executive overreach for 8 years are now doing everything they can to put the executive above the law?

They wouldn't have voted for God-Emporer Trump if the Demonrats hadn't elected Obummer, he failed to help out New Orleans after Katrina and he was playing golf instead of protecting real Muricans when 9/11 happened.

Reactions: dank69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Isn't it interesting that the same people who 'warned' of executive overreach for 8 years are now doing everything they can to put the executive above the law?

Well, not really. ....I mean, if you read "interesting" as, "surprising" or, "unexpected."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Congressional Democrats want access to everything so they can decide if someone is doing something illegal. Dems want a carte blanche fishing expedition and are basically telling the Patriot Act to hold their beer.

Trump has been named in federal court as a conspirator in (multiple) federal crimes, directly related to gaining the presidency. Do you not understand that? Do you actually deny that absolute fact?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Dems just want the evidence underlying the Mueller report so they can judge for themselves. It's their Constitutional right & obligation wrt oversight & impeachment. Barr's judgement is immaterial. He has no call to make.

Despite Barr's spin that report is a strong indictment of illegal conduct by our President. If it were the "total exoneration" Trump claims then he would insist on full disclosure.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Truly amazing, I wonder what the possible reason could be. Their consistency is exemplified by people such as the current AG, someone we all know is a staunch defender of the president's right to impede or end any investigation he chooses to...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...828f5389013_story.html?utm_term=.516e130ca669

At times, Barr has pulled back from his role as the defender of the presidency. He was a backer of independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr when he was investigating President Bill Clinton, saying criticism by Clinton allies appeared to be an attempt to impede the investigation.

Ah, never mind.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You say this as though Congress doesn't have absolute oversight powers over the executive vested to it in the Constitution. Which of course, it does.
The checks and balances are real.

Feb 4, 2009

Yup it’s like BENGHAZI all over again

I’m 100% for it

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump can't possibly win on the legal merits here. All precedent is on the side of the House. His lawsuit is a delay tactic. Thankfully Judge Mehta has fast-tracked the case. But Trump's lawyers will eat up more time with appeals. His lawyers are just making transparently bad legal arguments to justify litigation which is solely for the purpose of delay.

By testing limits, Trump has yet again exposed another crack in our system. There ought to be a statutory fast track all the way through to the SCOTUS for litigation between branches of government involving issues of separation of powers. In CA, we do this for death penalty cases, where the appeal automatically goes to our Supreme Court, skipping the intermediate appellate courts.

Add that to the list of things we need to fix once the dems are back in power. Fortunately the repugs may not oppose it because there will be a dem in the oval and they never seem to think past a law's political impact on the party currently in power.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have 3 words for you stupid, individual number one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If you call the fact interesting that what makes for denial is not drawing your sense of self worth on anything within you but rather from the manufactured delusion that your worth is tied up with the degree of loyalty you have to party. The greater the capacity for delusional belief, the better you can imagine yourself to be.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Trump has been named in federal court as a conspirator in (multiple) federal crimes, directly related to gaining the presidency. Do you not understand that? Do you actually deny that absolute fact?

Are you sure about that?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So we are on the unnamed, unindicted co-conspirator train?

Yes, clearly 'Individual 1 who by January 2017 had become President of the United States' could be anyone. I guess there's no way to know. lol.

Federal prosecutors have submitted filings to the court on penalty of perjury and disbarment that state they believe Trump committed at least one felony. If that bothers you, maybe you should ask yourself why you are supporting a felon instead of trying to invent ways in your head where it isn't true.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Uhhhh... do you know what an unindicted co-conspirator means? Unnamed? It stipulated the unindicted co-conspirator was successfully elected President for Christ sake.

I guess because Nixon wasn't indicted that means he didn't do anything wrong. How unfair he was forced from office when he was so innocent!

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Uhhhh... do you know what an unindicted co-conspirator means? Unnamed? It stipulated the unindicted co-conspirator was successfully elected President for Christ sake.

So you're saying that it must be Obama right?

Just in case people forget I'm a sarcastic prick.
/s

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sometimes I think Republican leaders are putting party before Country. Sometimes I think they believe that weathering the storm of Trump is better for the Country than the trauma of the ugly truth being exposed. Sometimes I think the latter is used as a rationalization for the former.

Either way, I don't hold the belief that very many people who actually work with Trump on a daily basis think he is remotely fit for office. I do think he had true believes (e.g. Cohen) under his spell when he was a private businessman as he had unlimited capacity to dictate at the time and had virtually no constraints on what he could dictate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sometimes I think Republican leaders are putting party before Country. Sometimes I think they believe that weathering the storm of Trump is better for the Country than the trauma of the ugly truth being exposed. Sometimes I think the latter is used as a rationalization for the former.

This seems like a pretty smart read on it - they have convinced themselves that the best thing for the country just so happens to be the best thing for their personal political ambitions.

Either way, I don't hold the belief that very many people who actually work with Trump on a daily basis think he is remotely fit for office. I do think he had true believes (e.g. Cohen) under his spell when he was a private businessman as he had unlimited capacity to dictate at the time and had virtually no constraints on what he could dictate.

Yes, that his staff does not respect him seems clear at this point. We have a situation where it is apparently routine that he will tell his staff to do something and they will just ignore him. I cannot imagine a situation with any other president where ignoring their direct orders was a standard way of doing business.

One thing I find interesting is that these stories of his subordinates ignoring him because they think he's insane or incompetent are rampant. If I were the president I would find that emasculating and humiliating and yet he doesn't seem to do much in response to them. Odd that someone with such famously thin skin doesn't do anything about that.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You heard that on FOX News last night?? hahahaaaaaaaa

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I think the leadership of the GOP has come to recognize that Trump is the unintended consequence of their own efforts, of relentless right wing agitprop used in service to top down class warfare. They get what they want from Trump & he holds their delusional base in the palm of his hand, or at least he did in 2016. They can't possibly hold power after the 2020 election w/o him. Nobody does it better than Trump- the mind fuck, that is.