Trump’s EPA Knows Its New Coal Rule Could Kill 1,400 People Per Year

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well if Trump's new rules could kill 1400 people, let's hope they are all Trump supporters. After all this is what they wanted.
But according to the EPA’s own analysis, the increased air pollution could result in as many as 1,400 deaths per year by 2030 and 15,000 new cases of upper respiratory problems. Federal data has also shown that the air is getting dirtier: Last year had 15 percent more days with dirty air than the average between 2013 and 2016.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article...new-coal-rule-could-kill-1400-people-per-year

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Compassion fatigue set in a while ago.

After the third time I've told my kids not to do something cause its gonna hurt, its time to stand back and let them learn that lesson for themselves.

Of course, my kids are smart enough to make the connection and don't come back and blame me for not warning them a fourth time so... ya never know.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hey, now...let's be reasonable. We can't let the deaths of a few little people get in the way of making money!

Dec 10, 2005
Compassion fatigue set in a while ago.

After the third time I've told my kids not to do something cause its gonna hurt, its time to stand back and let them learn that lesson for themselves.

Of course, my kids are smart enough to make the connection and don't come back and blame me for not warning them a fourth time so... ya never know.
Sorry, but these types of things are not analogous to telling your kid not to touch the hot stove. Something that kills more people over an extended period of time will be something the public largely ignores due to its perceived low risk.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm confused, the EPA is still around? I'll be damned, these big government republicans need to shut that propoganda machine down. Clean air and water is.for beta cucks.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The uptick in last years's pollution is mostly attributed to the economy and all the wildfires. A trend isn't clear yet. That said this new rule is bullshit. Coal sucks and everybody knows it. I mean it isn't even cheap now that utilities actually have to deal with their aging plants and huge coal ash piles leaking heavy metals into groundwater.

Due to its growing unpopularity and economic disadvantages I think the US will be essentially coal free by 2030, if not sooner. Utilities, states, cities, companies, banks, insurers, and individuals are turning their backs on this filthy industry en masse already. It's shrank from about half of generation to the mid 20s in about a decade.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The uptick in last years's pollution is mostly attributed to the economy and all the wildfires. A trend isn't clear yet. That said this new rule is bullshit. Coal sucks and everybody knows it. I mean it isn't even cheap now that utilities actually have to deal with their aging plants and huge coal ash piles leaking heavy metals into groundwater.

Due to its growing unpopularity and economic disadvantages I think the US will be essentially coal free by 2030, if not sooner. Utilities, states, cities, companies, banks, insurers, and individuals are turning their backs on this filthy industry en masse already. It's shrank from about half of generation to the mid 20s in about a decade.

The utility I work for has already shut down their last coal plant (due in no small part to air pollution lawsuits) and it's been replaced by gas fired (for base load). They're also building wind and solar like crazy.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Too bad it would only kill 1400 a year. If they could kill off 14 million that would mean lower taxes. They clearly need to work harder! /sarcasm

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Coal died completely with natural gas and many other technologies are approaching a similar cost to coal. Trying to mitigate coal's problems with pollutants, including CO2 just makes it completely uncompetitive. This shouldn't even be controversial.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm waiting for the announcement that brake pads and clutches will be made out of asbestos and that lead is being reintroduced to gasoline.

Don't forget about lead paint. Beautiful, cheap, clean lead paint. Deregulate everything! There's money to be made!!!!

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yea, I wish when Trump touts how great the economy is, the Dems would counter with what is the cost in pollution and the increased deficit from the wealthy/corporate tax cuts.
Unfortunately a lot of people are unwilling to accept the long view, even if it is pointed out to them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The utility I work for has already shut down their last coal plant (due in no small part to air pollution lawsuits) and it's been replaced by gas fired (for base load). They're also building wind and solar like crazy.

Lawsuits have been a key way to bring many units to a close especially when they lack modern emissions controls.

If people want to blame the government for the decline of coal they should look to the SO2 and MATS rules. Not allowing coal fired generators to externalize their costs had a remarkable effect on the industry. Cheap natural gas and now renewables coming online at about the same time is the death blow.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Lawsuits have been a key way to bring many units to a close especially when they lack modern emissions controls.

If people want to blame the government for the decline of coal they should look to the SO2 and MATS rules. Not allowing coal fired generators to externalize their costs had a remarkable effect on the industry. Cheap natural gas and now renewables coming online at about the same time is the death blow.
The demand for cheap natural gas is the cause of all the fracking that's causing so many problems across the country. Poisoned/flammable water' earthquakes in places that historically don't have them, pumping waste into the wells, etc.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The demand for cheap natural gas is the cause of all the fracking that's causing so many problems across the country. Poisoned/flammable water' earthquakes in places that historically don't have them, pumping waste into the wells, etc.

Fracking does have a lot of environmental problems, no doubt. The practice was probably reasonable safe if properly regulated but I don't have much confidence that it really ever was...certainly not now under this admin.

I'd like to see a transition to all zero carbon energy as soon as possible. Keep the nukes online for baseload even at a premium for another decade or two. Move everything else to wind/solar plus short term storage.

Dec 10, 2005
I'd like to see a transition to all zero carbon energy as soon as possible. Keep the nukes online for baseload even at a premium for another decade or two. Move everything else to wind/solar plus short term storage.
Me too. I wish it was economically and politically feasible to build new nuclear plants in the US. At least renewables are competitive with traditional energy sources. A few months ago, I switched my MA energy provider to a 100% renewable one. Costs a whole 3¢ more per kWh compared to my city's municipal aggregate rate, but still slightly cheaper than the local utility's general rate.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't forget about lead paint. Beautiful, cheap, clean lead paint. Deregulate everything! There's money to be made!!!!

I'm convinced that there are at least 3 users on here that will go to the grave still arguing that lead is perfectly safe and that the "Evil science campaign against lead!" in the 60s and 70s was a liberal plot to destroy the auto industry. Science bad!

You can pretty much tell because they still argue against all of the absolute facts regarding climate change, CO2, coal, all of this nonsense. They are literally the same people, they never learn a fucking thing from the obvious stupidity of the past, and they are essentially marked targets of industry propagandists that know they will have a dependable base of support when they need to lobby $$$millions to defend brainless, expensive, poisonous internal practices in order to prop up a short-term growth of maybe 2-3% per year because they are too lazy to fucking update standards and abandon destructive and wasteful practices despite the reality of far better returns in the long term.

It has always been this way.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Me too. I wish it was economically and politically feasible to build new nuclear plants in the US. At least renewables are competitive with traditional energy sources. A few months ago, I switched my MA energy provider to a 100% renewable one. Costs a whole 3¢ more per kWh compared to my city's municipal aggregate rate, but still slightly cheaper than the local utility's general rate.

Yeah I pay 3/4ths of a cent premium per kWh for all wind energy from my utility. They have a reasonably aggressive plan to shift their generation portfolio away from coal and gas but I figure every little bit of demand from consumers helps.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've had to deal with the earthquakes. Sometimes having 50 3.0-4.5 magnitude earthquakes in a weekend, epicenterred less than 5 miles from me. That is from waste water injection, not fracking. Luckily after we had a 5.0 6 miles from my house, along a fault line that could produce a 6.5+ and runs right under downtown OKC, Oklahoma started shutting down injection wells and our earthquakes have dropped way off, only have felt a few since then after feeling probably over 500 in a few year span.

From my understanding, most of the waste water is actually coming from traditional wells. Oklahoma's wells produce a lot of water. Around the same time horizontal drilling was taking off, someone invited a much cheaper and better way to separate the oil and water. Therefore, lots of wells that were previously uneconomical were turned back on, massively increasing the load into injection wells.

BTW: Fracking has been around for a very long time. The "new" fracking is horizontal drilling with fracking.