Trump’s economic adviser: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
Democrats taking the House in the fall will take care of that.

How on earth is anyone going to vote for people who literally have no outspoken policies other than "well maybe I'll do something, I dunno".

We have ONE inspiring figure running and that is ALL.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
How on earth is anyone going to vote for people who literally have no outspoken policies other than "well maybe I'll do something, I dunno".

We have ONE inspiring figure running and that is ALL.

You don't think people running are pushing their message out to their constituency?

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
You are flowing every single house and senate race? If yes do you get paid to do so?

Of course not, the problem is that they have no message to plug other than "I'm kinda going to maybe do something if you vote for me".

A strong message other than "I'm not the other guy" is absolutely needed and so far I've not seen but one candidate being passionate about anything what so ever. Luke warm "as it goes" doesn't bring voters to the booths.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Of course not, the problem is that they have no message to plug other than "I'm kinda going to maybe do something if you vote for me".

A strong message other than "I'm not the other guy" is absolutely needed and so far I've not seen but one candidate being passionate about anything what so ever. Luke warm "as it goes" doesn't bring voters to the booths.

Do you have an example in a contested race of what you are talking about?

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
Do you have an example in a contested race of what you are talking about?

All of them? Could you name one thing that anyone is proposing other than AOC? I can't and neither can anyone I've talked to.

They are about as excited regarding the election as they are about a movie coming out that they didn't hear about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
All of them? Could you name one thing that anyone is proposing other than AOC? I can't and neither can anyone I've talked to.

They are about as excited regarding the election as they are about a movie coming out that they didn't hear about.

That’s because it’s august and the news isn’t paying attention. You’ll get what you’re looking for soon enough.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

A better question is why is New York's 14th congressional district democratic candidate getting so much national attention?

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
That’s because it’s august and the news isn’t paying attention. You’ll get what you’re looking for soon enough.

Yeah, it's a bit late to start the campaign with just a few months away but perhaps they are going the Hillary route of campaigning which means visit a couple of places and say basically nothing.

That worked great for her so why not a repeat?

I'm sorry but I see no passion, no fire in their bellies, no policy that actually matters and I do believe that is because they are quite content as is.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
A better question is why is New York's 14th congressional district democratic candidate getting so much national attention?

Because she's the ONLY ONE who has had anything to say so far? She's the one who has that fire in her belly to shout and taunt and propose actual policy for change.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit late to start the campaign with just a few months away but perhaps they are going the Hillary route of campaigning which means visit a couple of places and say basically nothing.

I'm sorry but I see no passion, no fire in their bellies, no policy that actually matters and I do believe that is because they are quite content as is.

You realize even senators don't need to campaign outside their on state right? Trump is the only person captaining (a tad early I know but he loves to rally) for president right now. The presidential election is not until 2020.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Huh? They started the campaign months ago. House candidates don’t get meaningful news coverage just by campaigning on their own though, the news media has to pick up on it. Like I said, they will do this soon enough. It’s like this in every midterm.

Well your feelings are your feelings and so there’s no point in arguing them. I don’t know how anyone could meaningfully rate ‘fire in belly’ or contentment for a group of hundreds of people spread across the country anyway. Kind of a waste of time.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because she's the ONLY ONE who has had anything to say so far? She's the one who has that fire in her belly to shout and taunt and propose actual policy for change.

She’s not the only one that has something to say but this is a good illustration of my point. She was campaigning with a good message, fire in the belly, discontent, all that! Did you know who she was until the news media picked up on her because she knocked off Crowley in a big upset? I sincerely doubt it.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
You realize even senators don't need to campaign outside their on state right? Trump is the only person captaining (a tad early I know but he loves to rally) for president right now. The presidential election is not until 2020.

Now I don't know if you are trolling or not.

To be honest, I'm pissed off because I'm pretty fucking sure the blue wave is dead in the water.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Well your feelings are your feelings and so there’s no point in arguing them. I don’t know how anyone could meaningfully rate ‘fire in belly’ or contentment for a group of hundreds of people spread across the country anyway. Kind of a waste of time.
It’s measured using a 0 to 7 based scale similar to the International Nuclear Event Scale :)

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
She’s not the only one that has something to say but this is a good illustration of my point. She was campaigning with a good message, fire in the belly, discontent, all that! Did you know who she was until the news media picked up on her because she knocked off Crowley in a big upset? I sincerely doubt it.

Yes, I knew who she was, mainly because of my location so it's not really fair to extrapolate from that though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

To be honest, I'm pissed off because I'm pretty fucking sure the blue wave is dead in the water.

What is your basis for this? As a point of reference the generic ballot was approximately tied at this point in the blue wave year of 2006. Currently it’s +10 or so for the Democrats.

How many previous midterm elections have you paid close attention to?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

I am not, i'm simply pointing out it is highly unusual for house races to gain national notoriety. I can only guess you are young? My guess is the right has pushed her out into the spotlight to help their agenda. Not sure it worked out for them though. I can care less about her though since she isn't running in my district.

Keep that passion going and push everyone you know to get out and vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Go for the back biting & nay saying. It's a real asset for Democrats, huh?