True or False

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
There are two types of people who live in Alaska.

1. Those who were born there.
2. Those who are running or who have run away from something.

I was talking to a buddy of mine about Alaska. I've never been there before but I would love to visit. Reading up on Alaska, it definetly does not seem like the lifestyle is for everyone. Cold temperatures, a lot of darkness, plenty of raining days. The appeal of Alaska is the feeling of being nestled in on a cold, dark, and sometimes rainy day/night. It's not for everyone, but I really feel like I'd enjoy that.

I hate the heat or any kind of warm weather. I like nightime better than the daytime. I love the outdoors and camping, as long as it's not hot. And the older I get, the more I hate busy, congested city life.

I was also told by someone that Alaska has a large alcoholic population, an Alaska has a high suicide rate.

Also, Alaska gives all citizens a check every year for free. It's a percentage of Alaska's tax on oil, and it's roughly $800-$1200. Not to bad.

Just a thought on this 100 degree day in Baltimore, MD.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
You forgot the other half of lots of darkness--in summer, sunlight is 24 hours a day. If you're a shift worker, you'd get off at midnight to a bright sunny sky.

No state tax, and the rebate cheques are nice like you said. However, it only offsets the significantly higher cost of living.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
True. Alaska is *full* of criminals. This is a fact*. Just look at their representatives.

* poster is not entirely sure its a fact, but he bets it is given the characters that live there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
nothing is 100%

I know 2 people that have gone up to Alaska for work. I also have a step sister who moved out because that is where her boyfriend lives.

yeah i have heard alaska has a high alchohlism rate. but thats from the native population.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
"However, it only offsets the significantly higher cost of living."

I was told the cost of living is extremely cheap in Alaska, which makes more sense to me.

Is it really higher?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: cdmccool

I was told the cost of living is extremely cheap in Alaska, which makes more sense to me.

Is it really higher?

yeah some stuff is higher. like nearly everything. since it has to be brought in over a long distance.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: cdmccool

Is it really higher?

yeah some stuff is higher. like nearly everything. since it has to be brought in over a long distance.

Yep. Most obvious example is today's cheapest gas prices:

Anchorage (which would likely be the cheapest in Alaska) - $2.85/gallon
Baltimore - $2.59

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I was born and live in Anchorage

- Cost of living is probably higher than some places, but wages are typically higher as well. My summer job during college paid double what my job in Colorado did.

- It stays light in the summer and dark in the winter, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PLACE ON THE PLANET. Granted, the higher in latitude you go, the more pronounced this is. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't aware Earth isn't flat doesn't comprehend this. And no, if you've grown up here, it doesn't seem weird.

- No dog sleds. No igloos. North Dakota is far colder than Anchorage. Fairbanks, however, is cold. That's why only 50k people live there, largely military related as well.

- If you like to hunt/fish/camp/hike/etc, Alaska is one of the best places in the country to live.

- The Permanent Fund IS nice.

- Shipping up here sucks. As do people who think shipping to Alaska is like shipping to Russia.

- The Native population by and large have issues with alcohol, drugs, sexual abuse, crime, suicide, poverty, etc. My thought is that having a culture entirely dependent on the government for everything destroys it.

- Alaska is approximately 1/5 the size of the entire continental US. As such, parts of the state differ wildly from each other. Anchorage != Fairbanks != Nome != Juneau

- Texans who brag about the size of their state are amusing.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: RaiderJ

- Cost of living is probably higher than some places, but wages are typically higher as well. My summer job during college paid double what my job in Colorado did.

- It stays light in the summer and dark in the winter, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PLACE ON THE PLANET. Granted, the higher in latitude you go, the more pronounced this is. I can't fathom why anyone who isn't aware Earth isn't flat doesn't comprehend this. And no, if you've grown up here, it doesn't seem weird.

- No dog sleds. No igloos. North Dakota is far colder than Anchorage. Fairbanks, however, is cold. That's why only 50k people live there, largely military related as well.

- If you like to hunt/fish/camp/hike/etc, Alaska is one of the best places in the country to live.

- Shipping up here sucks. As do people who think shipping to Alaska is like shipping to Russia.

- The Native population by and large have issues with alcohol, drugs, sexual abuse, crime, suicide, poverty, etc. My thought is that having a culture entirely dependent on the government for everything destroys it.

- Alaska is approximately 1/3 the size of the entire continental US. As such, parts of the state differ wildly from each other. Anchorage != Fairbanks != Nome != Juneau

Alaskans are worthless.

-Your Friendly Texan

Nov 3, 2004

- Alaska is approximately 1/3 the size of the entire continental US. As such, parts of the state differ wildly from each other. Anchorage != Fairbanks != Nome != Juneau

meh, it's more like 1/5 the size of the CONUS

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

meh, it's more like 1/5 the size of the CONUS

True, edited my post.

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007

I feared I was the only person who saw this happen while I lived in Alaska.

- Alaska is approximately 1/5 the size of the entire continental US. As such, parts of the state differ wildly from each other. Anchorage != Fairbanks != Nome != Juneau

Yes, if Alaska was cut in two equal parts, Texas would be the 3rd largest state.

Clockwerk

May 28, 2005
Well I was born and raised in Fairbanks, AK. I live in NY now but most of my family still lives up there. It's definitely a ''blue collar'' wilderness state, everything has an industrial feel. I Went and visited my brother about 6 months ago, it was cold obviously, but the humidity is low so it doesn't ''feel'' as cold as it actually is or I guess I'm just use to cold weather.

The roads are quite terrible in places, that really irked me when living up there but its understandable due to permafrost and whatnot.

The cost of living is quite noticeable but like others have said its easy to find a higher paying job than the lower 48.

Natives pretty much keep to themselves, I know some towns you'd be better off staying out of based on an individuals certain appearance.

Its not uncommon to see a parking lot full of vehicles idling as the general consensus in winter is to always leave your vehicle running lest it wont start again.

It can sure as hell be depressive up there due to its seasons, but going to a baseball game at midnight with no field lights on is awesome.

My brother builds cabins and rents them out, all of them have above ground water tanks and need water delivered for showers and whatnot this is pretty common.

You can find bars out in the middle of absolutely no where, packed with people.

Moose are everywhere, more common than deer.

The air-boat and snow mobile where definetly made for Alaskans, not uncommon to be passed on the highway by EITHER.