Truck sales surge due to fall of price of oil

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Strk
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I'd respond to Dave, but I've taken the tactic of pretending he's not posting.

I encourage everyone else to do the same, don't post in his threads or respond to the fool, it may take years, but he'll eventually go away.

My F250 diesel gets 20+ mpg, it's one of the most fuel efficient large trucks ever made. Having broken all of my limbs but my right arm in auto accidents I reserve the fucking right to drive a large, very safe vehicle.

One of my patients last night was a 22 year old down syndrome girl that had 1/2 her face peeled off in a collision, what the surgeons did was amazing.

Small cars do not perform as well in protecting their occupants in a collision, and there are years of data to back it up. They are much better now than they were, but those older small cars didn't go away, they're still on the road, and they're not that old.

Yeah right, like moths can stay away from the light.

20mpg eh? I'll be thinking of you when gas/diesel prices head back up and you're paying $200 to fill your tank.

Oh and:

5-14-2008First Institute crash tests of Smart car: diminutive two-seater earns top ratings for protecting people in front & side crashes

The Smart car is getting a lot of attention for its small size and style, and now it's earning impressive crash test ratings. In recent Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tests, the 2008 Smart Fortwo, the smallest car for sale in the US market, earned the top rating of good for front and side crash protection. Its seat/head restraints earned the second highest rating of acceptable for protection against whiplash in rear impacts.

"The big question from consumers is, ?How safe is it?'", says Institute president Adrian Lund. "All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better. But among the smallest cars, the engineers of the Smart did their homework and designed a high level of safety into a very small package."

I pointed out the the safety of small cars considerably increased only recently. Pliablemoose points out the the newer ones are a lot safer. Your example is a 2008 Smart Car.

Of course, Dave again didn't read the whole article before posting it.

All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better.

It depends entirely on why it's bigger and heavier though. The safest vehicles on the road are large sedans (based on deaths per 100,000). All weight isn't equal. Increasing the weight doesn't help safety if it's another row of seating. You also have center of gravity issues with SUVs compared to sedans. There's also handling and breaking concerns. Some of these concerns are being addressed with the newer, car-based SUVs, or CUVs, if you want to call them that. They're lower to the ground than previous generations of SUVs, the weight is lower and quite a few other things.

Let's face it, it's like a lot of things. There's a bell curve, of sorts, when it comes to increasing size and weight for safety, although obviously not a perfect one.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I encourage everyone else to do the same, don't post in his threads or respond to the fool, it may take years, but he'll eventually go away.

My F250 diesel gets 20+ mpg, it's one of the most fuel efficient large trucks ever made. Having broken all of my limbs but my right arm in auto accidents I reserve the fucking right to drive a large, very safe vehicle.

One of my patients last night was a 22 year old down syndrome girl that had 1/2 her face peeled off in a collision, what the surgeons did was amazing.

Small cars do not perform as well in protecting their occupants in a collision, and there are years of data to back it up. They are much better now than they were, but those older small cars didn't go away, they're still on the road, and they're not that old.

Yeah right, like moths can stay away from the light.

20mpg eh? I'll be thinking of you when gas/diesel prices head back up and you're paying $200 to fill your tank.

Oh and:

5-14-2008First Institute crash tests of Smart car: diminutive two-seater earns top ratings for protecting people in front & side crashes

The Smart car is getting a lot of attention for its small size and style, and now it's earning impressive crash test ratings. In recent Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tests, the 2008 Smart Fortwo, the smallest car for sale in the US market, earned the top rating of good for front and side crash protection. Its seat/head restraints earned the second highest rating of acceptable for protection against whiplash in rear impacts.

"The big question from consumers is, ?How safe is it?'", says Institute president Adrian Lund. "All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better. But among the smallest cars, the engineers of the Smart did their homework and designed a high level of safety into a very small package."

I pointed out the the safety of small cars considerably increased only recently. Pliablemoose points out the the newer ones are a lot safer. Your example is a 2008 Smart Car.

Of course, Dave again didn't read the whole article before posting it.

All things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better.

It depends entirely on why it's bigger and heavier though. The safest vehicles on the road are large sedans (based on deaths per 100,000). All weight isn't equal. Increasing the weight doesn't help safety if it's another row of seating. You also have center of gravity issues with SUVs compared to sedans. There's also handling and breaking concerns. Some of these concerns are being addressed with the newer, car-based SUVs, or CUVs, if you want to call them that. They're lower to the ground than previous generations of SUVs, the weight is lower and quite a few other things.

Let's face it, it's like a lot of things. There's a bell curve, of sorts, when it comes to increasing size and weight for safety, although obviously not a perfect one.

You obviously missed the part that said 'all things being equal in safety'.

You and Dave drive a Smartcar and I'll come at you with a F-250. Let's see who comes out in one piece.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I had first hand experience hitting someone in a car with an F-250 this summer. Let me just say that I didn't feel anything and his car got totaled.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

You and Dave drive a Smartcar and I'll come at you with a F-250. Let's see who comes out in one piece.

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to be, but even if that's just saying having all the same features, I just pointed out that size and weight only take you so far. The guy who wrote the article generalized and, to a certain extent, can be proven wrong quite easily. Size and weight are not always better for safety.

And I guess you're not much better than Dave. I just said the safest vehicles are large sedans, but then you mention me in the Smart Car. Hell, I drive an Oldsmobile Aurora. A Smart Car isn't even as big as the hood. And a few years down the road, I'll probably replace it with an 08 or 09 CTS.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
I was in a rear end collision at a red light last week. Minivan hit the truck stopped behind me at about 40-45 mph and flipped over. The truck flew forward and hit me. I was in a taurus, the truck behind me was a ram. I got a busted rear end but no injuries. The guy in the truck behind me was taken in a neck brace. The entire back half of the truck bed was basically gone... axle was wiped out and the entire right rear was mangled. If the roles had been reversed, and I had taken the initial impact, i'd almost certainly be in an ICU right now based on how hard we were hit and the size of my car. So yeah... a big American truck basically saved my life. My 2 cents.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to be, but even if that's just saying having all the same features, I just pointed out that size and weight only take you so far. The guy who wrote the article generalized and, to a certain extent, can be proven wrong quite easily. Size and weight are not always better for safety.

And I guess you're not much better than Dave. I just said the safest vehicles are large sedans, but then you mention me in the Smart Car. Hell, I drive an Oldsmobile Aurora. A Smart Car isn't even as big as the hood. And a few years down the road, I'll probably replace it with an 08 or 09 CTS.

:confused: Wow. Reading comprehension FTL. I reference an article Dave posted about Smartcars and you start about other vehicles. And you continue to ignore the point 'all things being equal in safety, bigger and heavier is always better'.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Why is this a big deal?

The big deal is the OP and some in here don't like people deciding for themselves what to buy and drive. You see, unless you drive a compact or sedan(if you have kids) you are obviously "way more stupider" than the OP and pals. Clearly the gov't should step in and educate these dunderheads who buy SUVs and trucks. ;)

Exactly, why must they give a fuck about what others do, drive, use, or own, it makes no fucking sense at all. Is me owning a Astro van with a big 350 under the hood pushing almost 300HP really going to hurt you?? I mean really, what bothers me the most is the ones who feel the need to police others in forcing them into their way of life or thinking, but would have a shit fit if I pushed my way of life on them.

Get over yourselves and stand down off your foot stool, your not better then the ass hole next to you, worry about you, and enjoy what you like to enjoy doing, and let me do the same back at you by not really giving a shit that you see the need for your hhybrid, and pedalbike as your taking up my motor way doing 55 in a 55 zone as Im trying to floor my van everywhere I go and from every stop light so that I burn up your precious gas you seem to not need all that much of ;).

BTW my van gets over 20mpg highway, and will eat your hybrid and piss on your hair with chunks of hot molten rubber as I speed away from you.

OH and I need my van, for Im disabled, I dont fit well in cars being 6'4" with a plethera of physical problems that limits me from riding in anything I cant just slide into. Plus it makes me happy, which to a lot of you, no sane humal on the face of the earth should own anything that may give them pleasure, or fun, if it should run on something that produces an explosion and noise, getting in their way of peace and harmony and bland way of life. Try to live it up once in a while and do something crazy, you may find some joy in it instead of eating tofu, reading books by candle light for the TV is the DEVIL, and doing nothing but worrying about what others are doing, and complaining all the time.

My gas guzzling, tire Shreading, disable mobile.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: funboy6942
Exactly, why must they give a fuck about what others do, drive, use, or own, it makes no fucking sense at all.

Because high gas prices will come again, and there will be a new flood of shitheads on ATOT complaining about the prices. This is a preemptive strike, to remind people who have no need for a truck or SUV that it's probably wiser to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle.

I don't see why you must give a fuck about what others say about people who drive SUVs. It's an opinion, and even if you disagree with them they're still entitled to have it.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Yeah great, but what fucking right do you have to create more of a hazard for the rest of us on the road? I should go buy a mack truck to commute in, so that way when I hit you on the freeway, I'll just laugh at your smoking husk of a vehicle as I drive on by. Sound fair?

You share the road with many vehicles much larger than my truck, why all the anger?

I'm into avoiding accidents, not causing them, all the accidents I've had were caused by other drivers, I've had 2 Honda Civics totaled while driving them, and have never been found to be at fault in an accident.

All I'm saying is that larger vehicles are safer, and that I work in a Level I trauma facility and see a hell of a lot of accidents, the most jacked up people I see are occupants of smaller vehicles, I choose to own and drive a larger relatively fuel efficient vehicle because of the increased safety. I set off metal detectors as a result of being glued back together by orthopedic surgeons and you're giving me shit? How is my driving alarger vehicle a hazard for anyone? Perhaps it is making it less safe for the myopic asshole drinking texting or talking on a cell phone when they slam into me?

I also own and drive a Miata, one of the smallest vehicles on the road, and one of the safest (according to IHS data) small cars ever made.

You're feeding me shit for looking at mpg and crashworthiness when selecting a vehicle for my own personal use? You gonna feed me shit for buying a car with airbags and seatbelts next?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Exactly, why must they give a fuck about what others do, drive, use, or own, it makes no fucking sense at all.

Because high gas prices will come again, and there will be a new flood of shitheads on ATOT complaining about the prices. This is a preemptive strike, to remind people who have no need for a truck or SUV that it's probably wiser to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle.

I don't see why you must give a fuck about what others say about people who drive SUVs. It's an opinion, and even if you disagree with them they're still entitled to have it.

I give a fuck because these are the people not voicing an opinion, they are saying how wonderful it would be if gas would go up and hit $4+ just because they dont like what others are doing thought it really may not envole them it what they drive or do, without thinking further out side the box the ramafications of what happens to the rest of the world aside of people who drive large suv's, that devistate the lower midle class and poor of which I fall into, by not just limiting where I can go and do with my family, but makes me a prisoner in my home for I have no means to get out and do something, and in worse cases, have to limit my families food because we need to pay to get my wife to work. I have had to tell my Childreen no they cant have a glass of milk, because lik gas prices milk's prices are way out of control, an have limited myself down to only 1 meal a day, two if Im lucky, so that my kids will have enough to eat.

I am all for losing the dependency on oil, but big oil, brother, wont want any part of that for its their bread and butter, lose things that run on oil and come up with a quick, cheap, alternitive that will not only power our cars, but pwer a generator to power our homes, and all hell will break lose all over the world. So saying I love to see gas go way up in price to limit what I may like to do do, Like driving my van 1-2 times a MONTH to get me to my doctors, or stoping a farmer from getting his feed, or hurd to auction, or what have you because all you think of with the word truck or suv is mom all by herself in a car, then thinking of all the other factors that surrond you one way of thinking gas needs to be sooooooo high so I dont have to have a SUV on the road with me in my hybrid is insane, and why I will voice my opinion, and not say I will force my way of thinking down your throat be it you like it or not, as most do when it comes to thier thinking of gas prices, suv's and trucks' or anything they deem they dont need so they feel its within their power and right to do what they must to stop all others from using or having any part of it.

Im all for opinion and free speach, but its when you feel the need to maybe take things a little too far that has nothing to do with out socity as a hole that may HARM us as a WHOLE, that because you dont see the need for something, you must find a way to make sure only the super rich can aford it so you see less of it.

Again I agree, oil dependency is bad, but till someone comes up with a way around it in a way that wont cause the world as we know it to all shut down and cause mass histeria because those rich with power DO NOT LIKE TO LOSE THAT POWER OR MONEY, will do all in their power to make sure nothing stands in their way, including killing those who oppose finding other chaper, more abundant uses that can do what oil can do.

Case in point:

Stan Meyer who was MURDERED for figuring out how to run a car on water.

Whos buggy, and all his papers have just been bought this month.

So stop bitching about suv's and trucks waste gas, but come forth with a solution for it rather then making a huge problem for people all over the world by wishing, or help in making oil go so high it forces people to give up their god given right in this country to do what they want, when they want, and how they want, without pressures from their fellow man.

That is me voicing my opinion.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

I give a fuck because these are the people not voicing an opinion, they are saying how wonderful it would be if gas would go up and hit $4+ just because they dont like what others are doing

That's voicing an opinion. Thus, you have a problem with them voicing an opinion.

thought it really may not envole them it what they drive or do, without thinking further out side the box the ramafications of what happens to the rest of the world aside of people who drive large suv's, that devistate the lower midle class and poor of which I fall into, by not just limiting where I can go and do with my family, but makes me a prisoner in my home for I have no means to get out and do something, and in worse cases, have to limit my families food because we need to pay to get my wife to work. I have had to tell my Childreen no they cant have a glass of milk, because lik gas prices milk's prices are way out of control, an have limited myself down to only 1 meal a day, two if Im lucky, so that my kids will have enough to eat.

What a bunch of nonsense. When more people purchase SUVs and trucks, fuel consumption rises, and that increases prices, creating the exact scenario that you loathe others for wishing upon you.

The people saying "High gas prices had one benefit: less fuel waste" do NOT actually want higher gas prices. They want less fuel waste, which keeps prices low (less demand). This is something we should all want.

I am all for losing the dependency on oil, but big oil, brother, wont want any part of that for its their bread and butter, lose things that run on oil and come up with a quick, cheap, alternitive that will not only power our cars, but pwer a generator to power our homes, and all hell will break lose all over the world. So saying I love to see gas go way up in price to limit what I may like to do do, Like driving my van 1-2 times a MONTH to get me to my doctors, or stoping a farmer from getting his feed, or hurd to auction, or what have you because all you think of with the word truck or suv is mom all by herself in a car, then thinking of all the other factors that surrond you one way of thinking gas needs to be sooooooo high so I dont have to have a SUV on the road with me in my hybrid is insane, and why I will voice my opinion, and not say I will force my way of thinking down your throat be it you like it or not, as most do when it comes to thier thinking of gas prices, suv's and trucks' or anything they deem they dont need so they feel its within their power and right to do what they must to stop all others from using or having any part of it.

Firefox has a spell check feature built right into the browser, I recommend you use it. But that wasn't what really makes you look foolish, it's the conspiracy theory nonsense that you're spouting.

No one is forcing their opinion on you. What are you talking about? They're voicing their opinion on an internet forum, just like you. The only people here actually increasing gas prices are the people who don't use their trucks and SUVs to their full potential, who just use them for a commute or to drop the kids off at school.

Im all for opinion and free speach, but

When you say that "but" it means that you're NOT all for free speech.

its when you feel the need to maybe take things a little too far that has nothing to do with out socity as a hole that may HARM us as a WHOLE, that because you dont see the need for something, you must find a way to make sure only the super rich can aford it so you see less of it.

That's not free speech. Speech is talking about something, which is what you apparently dislike (that others on an internet forum would want people to buy fewer SUVs). What you're describing is action to increase, which no one in this thread is actually condoning. Well, except for the people who think it's great to commute to the office in an SUV, since those people are increasing the cost of gasoline (higher consumption = higher prices for everyone).

Again I agree, oil dependency is bad, but till someone comes up with a way around it in a way that wont cause the world as we know it to all shut down and cause mass histeria because those rich with power DO NOT LIKE TO LOSE THAT POWER OR MONEY, will do all in their power to make sure nothing stands in their way, including killing those who oppose finding other chaper, more abundant uses that can do what oil can do.

What does this have to do with anything? We're not talking about oil dependency, etc. We're talking about SUVs that never see wilderness. We're talking about trucks that are used to haul maybe once per year, but are used for a work commute every day. We're talking about excessive waste. By all means, RENT a truck when you want to go camping. Trucks are very useful! If you need a truck or SUV for your job, go buy one.

SUVs are trendy amongst those who will never use them. This is not a calling out of people who legitimately use their SUVs for work and leisure.

Case in point:

Stan Meyer who was MURDERED for figuring out how to run a car on water.

Whos buggy, and all his papers have just been bought this month.

So stop bitching about suv's and trucks waste gas, but come forth with a solution for it rather then making a huge problem for people all over the world by wishing, or help in making oil go so high it forces people to give up their god given right in this country to do what they want, when they want, and how they want, without pressures from their fellow man.

That is me voicing my opinion.

The solution is to not purchase SUVs and trucks unless you really need one. The solution is to remind people that their commute can just as easily be performed by a fuel efficient hybrid. If we use more hybrid and fuel-efficient vehicles, then this promotes the technological developments that will eventually free us from gasoline driven vehicles.

Purchasing gas guzzlers only drives up fuel prices and causes fuel efficiency development to stagnate. They're a necessity for some people, but there are too many SUVs out there that have never hauled more than a few bags of groceries.

Purchasing + using a truck or SUV causes gas prices to increase, so it makes sense to remind others that they should use a fuel efficient vehicle whenever possible. Why do you disagree with this? No one is forcing people to not drive SUVs or trucks, it's just a reminder that you're needlessly increasing gas prices if you don't really need one.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

The solution is to not purchase SUVs and trucks unless you really need one. The solution is to remind people that their commute can just as easily be performed by a fuel efficient hybrid. If we use more hybrid and fuel-efficient vehicles, then this promotes the technological developments that will eventually free us from gasoline driven vehicles.

Sure a commute could just as easily be performed by a hybrid but what fun would that be. Some people are car people and you might not understand this but there is just something so blah about driving a little econobox that regularly gets passed by kids on bigwheels. I drive a little fuel sipper out of necessity for the time being and I sorely miss getting in a car that actually excites me every time I drive it. Some of us just don't want to be freed from gasoline driven vehicles.

Purchasing gas guzzlers only drives up fuel prices and causes fuel efficiency development to stagnate. They're a necessity for some people, but there are too many SUVs out there that have never hauled more than a few bags of groceries.

Purchasing + using a truck or SUV causes gas prices to increase, so it makes sense to remind others that they should use a fuel efficient vehicle whenever possible. Why do you disagree with this? No one is forcing people to not drive SUVs or trucks, it's just a reminder that you're needlessly increasing gas prices if you don't really need one.

That could be said about a lot of things in life. Maybe you should buy a 12" TV to watch sports on so it decreases demand for electricity. Or maybe you can just throw your Eskimo suit on in the winter and quit sucking fuel to keep your house warm. That might make fuel prices more reasonable.

Vehicles are an outlet for a lot of people and wagging your finger at them for wanting to drive something fun isn't going to win anyone over to your cause.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Elfear

Sure a commute could just as easily be performed by a hybrid but what fun would that be. Some people are car people and you might not understand this but there is just something so blah about driving a little econobox that regularly gets passed by kids on bigwheels. I drive a little fuel sipper out of necessity for the time being and I sorely miss getting in a car that actually excites me every time I drive it. Some of us just don't want to be freed from gasoline driven vehicles.

I'm not even talking about little tiny cars. I drive a Camry and it gets around 30 MPG. It is far from what I'd call an "econobox". It's practically a luxury vehicle.

Also, hybrids get better acceleration than any standard gas vehicle. Anyone who says "I need better acceleration, that's why I can never drive a hybrid" has never driven an electric or hybrid car and actually put their foot on the pedal.

I understand that some people just like to drive SUVs, but it has become a huge fad to drive them. That's why it's smart for people to be reminded from time to time that it's wasteful, and in the long run they're needlessly increasing fuel prices. We have millions of people here, so there is no doubt that some will remember and not buy the SUV even though it's trendy.

That could be said about a lot of things in life. Maybe you should buy a 12" TV to watch sports on so it decreases demand for electricity. Or maybe you can just throw your Eskimo suit on in the winter and quit sucking fuel to keep your house warm. That might make fuel prices more reasonable.

Vehicles are an outlet for a lot of people and wagging your finger at them for wanting to drive something fun isn't going to win anyone over to your cause.

My electricity and heat is all nuclear, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. How many people really get their electricity from gasoline?

Or are you trying to compare electricity prices to gasoline prices? I'm sorry, but you're going to lose that argument every time. The huge difference in consumption for what you're talking about isn't even funny. You're burning extra $50 bills each month for an SUV while I'm burning $1 bills for having a slightly larger TV. I rarely drive (I commute by bike, I live near my work), and even with low fuel prices right now my gasoline budget is always several times greater than my electricity bill.

I'm not finger wagging at anyone, I'm reminding them that it's wasteful, which was the point of the OP anyway. If you want an SUV enough to waste fuel (and pay a lot more for fuel down the line), then by all means, ignore wisdom and purchase one. Just don't come crying when fuel prices go up again.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Why is this a big deal?

The big deal is the OP and some in here don't like people deciding for themselves what to buy and drive. You see, unless you drive a compact or sedan(if you have kids) you are obviously "way more stupider" than the OP and pals. Clearly the gov't should step in and educate these dunderheads who buy SUVs and trucks. ;)

Where did the OP say that? He is railing on making short-sighted decisions - he's not telling anybody they have to do anything. And good job bringing up the gov't boogie man once again.

:roll:

Like I said, he is railing on people for making short-sighted decisions - he didn't say they HAVE to do anything.

Americans never learn
I will have no sympathy for these idiots.
OBVIOUSLY people are too stupid according to the OP which one can safely deduce they don't like these people actually deciding for themselves what to buy and drive.
And yes, there are some who think the gov't should be controlling what we drive - hell - it already does to a good degree. So while you can whine all you want about my post - it is VERY relevant to the discussion of this topic.

I didn't say that no one thinks that - I said the OP didn't say it, but you were happy to imply it. He might think that, but it has nothing to do with the OP and is, once again, more of your "duhhhversion" ;)

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm not finger wagging at anyone, I'm reminding them that it's wasteful, which was the point of the OP anyway. If you want an SUV enough to waste fuel (and pay a lot more for fuel down the line), then by all means, ignore wisdom and purchase one. Just don't come crying when fuel prices go up again.

No, you dolt. I'm not "ignoring wisdom". Fuel price is only one component in the buying equation. The rational consumer figures everything into the equation and decides what makes the most sense for them. You are in no position to determine what is "wise" for them, you don't know anything about them. Sheesh, elitist idiots who think they know better what other people should do......

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

No, you dolt. I'm not "ignoring wisdom". Fuel price is only one component in the buying equation. The rational consumer figures everything into the equation and decides what makes the most sense for them. You are in no position to determine what is "wise" for them, you don't know anything about them. Sheesh, elitist idiots who think they know better what other people should do......

No, you moron. The average consumer is irrational. The average consumer does not realize that driving a fuel efficient vehicle actually increases fuel prices. People make mistakes and lake foresight. It's called being human. Denying that just makes you a fool.

You are full of fail. The OP pointed out that Americans are repeating past mistakes by buying large trucks and SUVs that they don't need. There is nothing wrong with that observation. What happens when demand increases for a quantity in limited supply? Surely I'm not too elitist for you to answer that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

No, you moron. The average consumer is irrational. The average consumer does not realize that driving a fuel efficient vehicle actually increases fuel prices. People make mistakes and lake foresight. It's called being human. Denying that just makes you a fool.

You are full of fail. The OP pointed out that Americans are repeating past mistakes by buying large trucks and SUVs that they don't need. There is nothing wrong with that observation. What happens when demand increases for a quantity in limited supply? Surely I'm not too elitist for you to answer that.

There is major issues with the oil/gas industry in the U.S.

A system in which incompetence is rewarded with exceptional profit.

What if the Medical Industry was rewarded for patients dying?

1-2-2009 Locals Remember Gas Shortage Crisis Of 2008

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Midstate drivers won't forget the last two weeks of September 2008. A severe gas shortage left drivers waiting in line for hours just to fill their tanks.

In September 2008, numbers added up on the pumps and so did the questions.

On the ground, it looked like the scenes many remember from the gas shortages of the 1970s. People pushing cars with bone dry tanks to the gas pumps. Pumps had plastic bags over them, and simple signs that said it all.

People were pushed to the edge by word that 85 percent of midstate filling stations had little or no gas to sell, and businesses with gas sold it for a premium.

"I don't know how people are able to fill up their tanks for anything at four. What is it now? $4.29? $4.09 for the cheapest? It's ridiculous," one male driver said.

A late summer hurricane, Ike, was blamed for gasoline shortages around the southeast. The storm stopped production at 20 percent of the nation's refineries.

The shortage caught the attention of Governor Phil Bredesen, who couldn't do much but wait it out with the rest of us.

"I think it's going to go on for a little bit longer, meaning a few days longer. But there's nothing fundamentally wrong, it's just a matter of putting those refineries on line and getting back up," Bredesen said.

Refineries recovered, shipments to Middle Tennessee increased and gas stations had plenty of fuel. Eventually even the price at the pump went down.

September's gas shortage hit Nashville and the southeast harder than other regions of the country. That's because the Southeast gets all of its gasoline by pipeline and has no refining or storage facilities.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I guess PokerGuy, funboy, and elfear are too full of elitist fail to respond to my comments.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
I'm freakin glad to live in a city with a metro and regional trains. It's really a shame that American mass transit systems are so poor :(

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

A system in which incompetence is rewarded with exceptional profit.

Now, we all know youre pretty...let me carefully pick my word here....ignorant when it somes to the economy. But I would love to see you have a go at explaining how a product with so little markup, is part of "A system in which incompetence is rewarded with exceptional profit". I know you wont, because youre unable to, but still. Give it a go.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I guess PokerGuy, funboy, and elfear are too full of elitist fail to respond to my comments.

No, some of us non-elitists have actual lives that are more important than answering the comments of an idiot.

Oh, of course, consumers and everyone out there is irrational, they are all stupid. Thank goodness we have the enlightened few such as yourselves to make decisions for us, otherwise we'd all be lost! :roll: Thank you for confirming your status as an elitist idiot.

I'll happily buy another big SUV as my next vehicle, whether you elitists think I "need" it or not. I won't be whining about the price of gas either when it goes up, a true conservative takes responsibility for his decisions.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
I do think we have bit of a bass-ackwards system when it comes to fuel use. I think fuel price should be based on the fuel effiency of your vehicle. If you prefer to drive a gas guzzling tank then fine, but you would pay twice as much for the fuel for that priviledge.... up and above getting a lower mpg with it.

Take those people driving around in converted busses. They should be paying 3 times the price per gallon as an economy car (think of it as a luxury tax).

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
I do think we have bit of a bass-ackwards system when it comes to fuel use. I think fuel price should be based on the fuel effiency of your vehicle. If you prefer to drive a gas guzzling tank then fine, but you would pay twice as much for the fuel for that priviledge.... up and above getting a lower mpg with it.

Take those people driving around in converted busses. They should be paying 3 times the price per gallon as an economy car (think of it as a luxury tax).

Why? They already pay more in terms of gas taxes to maintain the road. By what logic should they have to pay more per gallon of gas than someone else? That's just not rational.

I agree with Pokerguy that the price of gas is only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to figuring out what vehicle is right for you, neither the government nor anyone else can decide what it the best overall choice for you. When (if?) the price of gas goes up though, don't come bitching about it.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

you can say the same for gas and electricity for your home...