Truck fun (but, no YACT) An adventure in fixing a 20 year old pickup

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
My brother's truck broke a universal joint. He had it towed to my house.
A day or two later, he shattered his ankle, leaving him to face 2 surgeries and being unable to drive for 4 months.

So, he was about to need his truck again. Being a nice brother, I went to the parts store and bought the new u-joint. Then, I layed under his truck, trying to get the old one out.

Did I forget to mention that the area his truck was parked in is now a mud pit?

Finally, I realized that if I removed the drive shaft, it'd be easier to replace the u-joint, then put the drive shaft back on. I was quite proud of myself for figuring this out (without posting to ATOT for advice.) I was actually quite amazed at how simple a procedure it was.

Next, I looked into that slow leak that had left his tire flat a dozen times before I finally gave up and let it remain flat. Of course, every time I buy a 12 volt pump, I shut the nozzle or cord in the car door, ruining it. My air tank was empty, so the bike pump was my only option (or driving to a gas station 7 miles away.) Couldn't find the leak. So, I removed it from the car... still couldn't find the leak so that I could plug it. Ahhhh, there it is... it's a bad seal; needs to be remounted. :(

Well, time to start the truck. Okay, well 2 hours later after hooking up the battery charger, it's time to start the truck. A bit of smoke at first, but after a minute, the engine is purring like it's brand new. Put it in gear; it stalls. Try again; still won't budge. Put it in neutral and try to push it. The front tires roll, but the rear just slides across the mud.

Ah ha! "The brakes are seized up," I told my brother, while worried that I fubared the drive shaft somehow. A quick phone call to a relative who's a mechanic confirmed my suspicions. So, off come the tires again.

Did I mention that I'm laying in this mud? It really really sucks to get down under the truck.

I wack at the drums with my hammer until finally they feel loose. I put the tires back on and it's ready to go again. Put it in forward... nothing. In reverse, suddenly, it's moving!
Put it in forward - it's moving again, but then the brakes lock up. Put it in reverse - mud is flying and the truck rolls backwards. Put it in forward; the truck slowly moves forward as it throws mud all over my barn (which it's parked in front of, causing me to carry thousands upon thousands of pounds of hay and feed needlessly, when normally I'd have been able to just drive them into the barn.)

Woohooo! It's fixed! So, I told my brother to just turn it off; my wife just got back home with some pizzas and wings for everyone. We eat. Go back out to the truck. Brakes are seized again. Put it in reverse, back up 6 inches. Nope, still no forward. Repeat 20 times, and now the truck is against the barn, unable to go forward :(

Thank you AAA towing! Truck is gone! My problem is solved.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
AAA Plus for the Win.

It Is worth the extra money to get the Plus version of AAA. :)

Originally posted by: DrPizza
My brother's truck broke a universal joint. He had it towed to my house.
A day or two later, he shattered his ankle, leaving him to face 2 surgeries and being unable to drive for 4 months.

So, he was about to need his truck again. Being a nice brother, I went to the parts store and bought the new u-joint. Then, I layed under his truck, trying to get the old one out.

Did I forget to mention that the area his truck was parked in is now a mud pit?

Finally, I realized that if I removed the drive shaft, it'd be easier to replace the u-joint, then put the drive shaft back on. I was quite proud of myself for figuring this out (without posting to ATOT for advice.) I was actually quite amazed at how simple a procedure it was.

Next, I looked into that slow leak that had left his tire flat a dozen times before I finally gave up and let it remain flat. Of course, every time I buy a 12 volt pump, I shut the nozzle or cord in the car door, ruining it. My air tank was empty, so the bike pump was my only option (or driving to a gas station 7 miles away.) Couldn't find the leak. So, I removed it from the car... still couldn't find the leak so that I could plug it. Ahhhh, there it is... it's a bad seal; needs to be remounted. :(

Well, time to start the truck. Okay, well 2 hours later after hooking up the battery charger, it's time to start the truck. A bit of smoke at first, but after a minute, the engine is purring like it's brand new. Put it in gear; it stalls. Try again; still won't budge. Put it in neutral and try to push it. The front tires roll, but the rear just slides across the mud.

Ah ha! "The brakes are seized up," I told my brother, while worried that I fubared the drive shaft somehow. A quick phone call to a relative who's a mechanic confirmed my suspicions. So, off come the tires again.

Did I mention that I'm laying in this mud? It really really sucks to get down under the truck.

I wack at the drums with my hammer until finally they feel loose. I put the tires back on and it's ready to go again. Put it in forward... nothing. In reverse, suddenly, it's moving!
Put it in forward - it's moving again, but then the brakes lock up. Put it in reverse - mud is flying and the truck rolls backwards. Put it in forward; the truck slowly moves forward as it throws mud all over my barn (which it's parked in front of, causing me to carry thousands upon thousands of pounds of hay and feed needlessly, when normally I'd have been able to just drive them into the barn.)

Woohooo! It's fixed! So, I told my brother to just turn it off; my wife just got back home with some pizzas and wings for everyone. We eat. Go back out to the truck. Brakes are seized again. Put it in reverse, back up 6 inches. Nope, still no forward. Repeat 20 times, and now the truck is against the barn, unable to go forward :(

Thank you AAA towing! Truck is gone! My problem is solved.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Sounds like fun. I had front siezed brakes... didnt' realize it. Drove for ~2 months w/ 8 miles to gallon or less mileage.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It's funny; we've never had AAA in the 17 years we've been married. We've never needed to have a vehicle towed either. This year, my wife decided to get AAA Plus. My car sprung a bad leak (radiator fluid from a freeze plug) and overheated about 65 miles away... the tow to our house was more than worth what we paid for AAA. Then, this tow.

:thumbsup: for AAA plus :)