Troubleshooting My Deceased Conroe System ...

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Midnight Rambler, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Diamond Member

Scenario : System won't POST, no beeps, no fans, no nothing ...

Relevant Specs :

Core 2 Duo E6600
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3R

Tried so far :

1. Removed CMOS battery; then replaced CMOS battery with new one
    2. Multiple good PSU's - incl. 2 Corsairs (rebadged SS's); swapped cords just for fun
    3. Multiple good kits of RAM; I have several of these 2 GB kits, tried diff slot arrangements
    4. Two good vid cards
    5. Removed HSF (Zerotherm BT92 (?) "butterfly" + MX-2). All looked OK, even after almost 5 years. Cleaned everything and re-pasted.

I don't have a spare CPU or mobo to swap those components IN/OUT. Is there anything I missed that doesn't require these swap-outs ??? No visible damage of any kind to the mobo, physical or electrical.

Thanks ...

2. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

Power button.?

3. Arcanedeath

Arcanedeath Platinum Member

could be a grounding issue, try just the board, cpu, 1 stick of ram, and the video card outside the case on some cardboard or a static bag and see what happens with a known good psu.

4. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

Yeah, try removing the lead that goes to the power button and just short it with a screwdriver, makes sure your switch isnt kaput.

5. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Diamond Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but no go.

This new system is in the case that the E6600 system was in, so the switch is definitely OK. Although I can't believe I forgot to check it ... well, I guess I just checked it the hard way.

Also, good on any ground issue. The bare necessities of the system are set up on a static mat on my workbench.

I really had thought it was a CMOS problem initially. Now I think I probably have a dead mobo. Haven't seen too many bad CPU's and this one was babied most of the time.

Where to get a P35 board ...

6. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

I agree with your assessment. Haven't seen a bad CPU since the Cyrix days... Most likely MB issue.