Trouble with Vent and WoW

Jest3r

Jan 18, 2008
First off, I'd thought I'd ask here before I even bother with some Blizzard forums. The typical responses people get on those forums would be along the lines of... "Your ventzor is pawnzor noobzor!"

That said, I am having trouble talking on Ventrilo while playing WoW. I am able to talk on Vent while I have that application selected, but as soon as I bring WoW up again, it won't let me talk.

I have tried a couple things. First I tried another game to see if it was game specific, and it is. I am able to talk on Vent while playing many other games, such as Half-Life 2, Portal, and just browsing Firefox, so I am assuming it is a WoW problem. Another remedy I tried was playing the game in Windowed mode. This did not solve any problems. Once I select WoW, Vent just stops working.

Also, just to clarify some things. Vent does still run, and I can hear others talk, I just can't talk while WoW is up. I am using a USB headphone/mic combo.

Any help would be appreciated!

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The typical responses people get on those forums would be along the lines of... "Your ventzor is pawnzor noobzor!"
It would be more random. There's no telling what signals will be sent down the wire as drool short-circuits a keyboard.

You use push to talk, yes? When you push your PTT key with WoW maximized, is your mic opening up? eg. does the red button by your name in vent turn green? (If you only have one monitor, put WoW in windowed mode and lower the resolution so you can see ventrilo as you try this).

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Sunner
Are you using hardware acceleration for the sound in WoW?

I had this problem also and what fixed it was.. in vista64, under my sound options, i had to uncheck a box that basically allowed more than one app to use sounds at once--something about exclusive mode iirc

Also in wow i told the game to use hardware acceleration and to use as many channels as possible.

samduhman

Jul 18, 2005

I have this same issue with when playing WoW on Vista when I boot up into WinXP it works fine. So Im chalking it up to be a Vista issue. I just don't know what the fix is. Let us know if you resolve it.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: samduhman

I have this same issue with when playing WoW on Vista when I boot up into WinXP it works fine. So Im chalking it up to be a Vista issue. I just don't know what the fix is. Let us know if you resolve it.

I play WoW in Vista 64 and have no problems using Vent. I do play in Windowed mode, however, when I get back home I'll check to see if Vent still works fine in non-Windowed as well. As other mentioned, check to see what audio settings you're using.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: slag
Originally posted by: Sunner
Are you using hardware acceleration for the sound in WoW?

I had this problem also and what fixed it was.. in vista64, under my sound options, i had to uncheck a box that basically allowed more than one app to use sounds at once--something about exclusive mode iirc

Also in wow i told the game to use hardware acceleration and to use as many channels as possible.

Well, the reason I asked was actually that using hardware acceleration in WoW caused problems with Vent for me.
People would hear me, but apparently my voice got quite distorted, as if I had severe lag to the vent server(which would be funny considering it's my server, and my latency is too low to show up in Vent :) ).
I'm using XP and a SoundBlaster X-Fi by the way.

Jest3r

Jan 18, 2008
I'm using Vista 64. It might be what Slag is talking about. I'm going to look into that.

Also... yes, I do use PTT. The light does not come on nor does the beeping sound omit while playing WoW.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Silly question but you don't have the push-to-talk button for vent bound to anything in WoW do you?

Jest3r

Jan 18, 2008
Fixed. Change some options in sound menu under microphone, and ran Vent as Admin.

Also - rh17: in most cases, if you have something in WoW bound to that button, it will let you talk on vent and use that key in game (does two things if bound in WoW). However, I never bind it to anything in WoW.

Also, yes - I did have the in game voice chat disabled.