Trouble with USB 3.0 external drives.

rhyder

Mar 26, 2015
Hi, I've added two USB 3.0 drives (Fantom 2TB ea.) to my computer. They boot just fine, but after a while (the time varies), they will just drop off the screen (sleeping?) and will not come back up unless I power down and then back up. I have several USB 2.0 drives of the same brand and they behave fine. They all are NTFS. I'm running Win 8.1 Pro. Any ideas?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Hi, I've added two USB 3.0 drives (Fantom 2TB ea.) to my computer. They boot just fine, but after a while (the time varies), they will just drop off the screen (sleeping?) and will not come back up unless I power down and then back up. I have several USB 2.0 drives of the same brand and they behave fine. They all are NTFS. I'm running Win 8.1 Pro. Any ideas?
Sleep mode should not cause the drives to disappear. Are you connecting the drives to the PC with an add-in card? Sounds to me like the USB 3.0 connection is dropping, in which case your add-on board may be defective, is not seated properly, or has a driver problem. If you have USB 3.0 ports on your motherboard, try connecting the drives to those and see if the problem goes away.