Trouble with ST340063-2A HDD + Cooler Master Xcraft 350 + WinXP or Vista

gedkealmen

Dec 30, 2007
System: HP Pavilion dv8225nr notebook
Enclosure: Cooler Master Xcraft 350 IDE-USB
HDD: Seagate ST340063-2A 400Gb

Tried it first on Vista x86, OS saw the new device, recognized the Generic USB Hub on the Enclosure, installed drivers, saw the HDD, installed, then there was a device malfunction, Unknown Device, and the HDD remained on the Device Manager as "unknown device" and disappeared from Directory list as a drive.

Plugged the enclosure into an old computer (XP Pro with USB 1.1 ports) and had no problems at all. Partitioned it and formatted it.

Back to Vista, no go. The same problem as in 1.

Uninstalled Vista, formatted the notebook HDD, installed XP Pro. Plugged the enclosure in, it was recognized immediately and without probs.

Updated the system BIOS

Noticed it was transferring very slowly, updated the USB Hub drivers to Enhanced PCI-USB Host Controller using the WinXP auto driver search.
The Xcraft Enclosure with the Seagate ST340063-2A immediately disappeared from the directory listing and was replaced in the Device Manager by an Unknown Device which doesn't function at all.
My other USB enclosure (holding a Hitachi DK_23EA-40 hard disk) continued working problem-free.

Interesting Note:

If I disable the Enhanced USB Controller driver from the Device Manager, the drive reappears and is correctly recognized as the Seagate ST340063-2A model. But it works with very slow USB transfer speeds.

Does someone have a solution? I assume this is a compatibility problem between the Enhanced USB Host Driver and one or both of the components involved (enclosure and/or hrd disk)