Trouble with Opty 144 OC

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
Just got my new Opty 144, CAB2E stepping (0546 FPMW, I think). I was happy when I read about how well these have been doing around the forums - 2.7 GHz and up. So far I haven't been able to get mine stable at 2.4! Here's the rig:

MSI Neo2 Platinum
Opty 144 w/ Zalman CNPS-7000Cu
OCZ 2x512 PC3500EB
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
2 Seagate HDDs (1 PATA, 1 SATA)
Antec 480 W PS (not sure, but a TruPower model I think)

Anyway, the highest I've been able to run stable so far is 260x9=2.34 GHz at 1.35 V. It's nice and Prime95 stable, with load temps about 50 C or so. However, nothing seems to make it go any higher - it locks up instantly when I use ClockGen to up the HTT to 265. I've tried using higher voltages, up to 1.5 V with absolutely no effect. I'm running my memory on a 100 divider right now, so I know it's not having any problems at 130 MHz. I'm pretty sure the mobo isn't the problem, either - I'm running nice and stable right now at 310x7, so it seems like I should be able to go a lot higher than 260.

Did I just get a real dud of a CPU, or is there something else that could be limiting me? I know my -7000Cu isn't the best cooling available, but my temps still aren't all that high. What about my PSU? One thing I notice is that the CPU voltage seems to fluctuate a bit in CPU-Z when running Prime95. It also seems to be a bit lower than specified. If it's set to 1.45 V, CPU-Z might show 1.4 V , plus or minus about .12 V. That doesn't seem very good to me. I also don't seem to be able to get much higher than 1.4 V - even if I set it to 1.5 V, it doesn't read much above 1.4 V. Is it possible that my PSU is fluctuating too much, and that's causing my OC trouble? Is there anything else I can do to examine this? Everest and the MSI utility agree on that CPU voltage, BTW.

Are there any other possible culprits I'm overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to be able to run 310x9 on this sucker for a healthy 2.79 GHz.

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
What's the LDT multi set to? You need to keep LDT x HTT = 1000 (or close anyway)

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
Oh, sorry. I've been keeping the LDT at 3x, so the HTT link is at like 780 MHz. I could probably put it to 4x, but I wanted to make sure that wasn't causing problem, too.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
set the ldt multiplier to 3x. See if that helps. Past that it seems like youre doing everything else right.

I also dont know how good that motherboard is for overclocking. That could also be the problem.

Also, if youre already at 50C at load with a messly 2.3ghz with 1.35 volts with that cooler, expect to buy a better cooler if you want to do up to 2.79ghz like you said. Or youre going to be doing an easy 60C or more at load.

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
Load temps are very bad for the low volts you are using.

I would say that the overclocking wall is due to the motherboard. I had the MSI K8N Neo2 platinum and i had an UTTERLY impossible wall on my 3200+ venice at 2.75 Ghz. Put the chip in my DFI NF4 Ultra-D a few months later and it easily scaled past 2.9 Ghz stable.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I've rarely heard of anyone trying to run these on Neo Plats, though, so I'm not sure if maybe your board might have issues with them, or if everyone else has been running with Optys in those boards just fine.

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
Okay, here's another piece of info. My system seems to be stable at 310x8 for 2.48 GHz, still at 1.35V. WTF? I've only been Prim95-ing for about 10 minutes, but that's 100 MHz faster than 265x9 which locked my system up instantly. Is it possible that my mobo just doesn't like the 9x multiplier? Weird...

As I said, I'm well aware of the limitations of my cooler and I'll probably upgrade it soon. Just so long as it's not what's causing me problems right now. I know 50C is a little warm, but it's not THAT warm.

I thought I'd seen other people using Optys with the Neo2 Platinum, but I'm not sure. I know it's a strange match running a brand-new 939 Opteron in an NF3 mobo, though! I was just hoping I could put off the jump to NF4/PCIe a little longer.

Thanks for the help so far, and keep the ideas coming!

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
Dude, if 2.34 Ghz locked up and then 2.5 Ghz works with the same voltage, then the chip is doing fine! It will probably go up to do 2.9+ Ghz if it could, its the motherboard that's messing up.

Also check Power supply, might be providing unstable voltage. Speaking of unstable voltage, my Neo2 platinum provided VERY unstable voltage...

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Have you tried using a 1.B bios modded by sideeffect?. You can change trc, trfc, trrd, and trwt. You might want to bump the vcore too a bit. or the vdimm.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
No sure if it's a MB issue or a CPU issue, but I've read alot of people saying they were able to increase their speed by dropping the multiplier.
Most complaints I read were on the Asrock Dual SATA board, but that's probably because I'v been researching the Asroc board for awhile.

I actually just went from a Neo2 Platinum/3800+ to this Asrock/146. Which BIOS are you using? Could be that the newer BIOS's have hindered it's OC'ing ability. I was still using 1.8, and the was the best BIOS IMO for the Neo2.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
No sure if it's a MB issue or a CPU issue, but I've read alot of people saying they were able to increase their speed by dropping the multiplier.
Most complaints I read were on the Asrock Dual SATA board, but that's probably because I'v been researching the Asroc board for awhile.

I actually just went from a Neo2 Platinum/3800+ to this Asrock/146. Which BIOS are you using? Could be that the newer BIOS's have hindered it's OC'ing ability. I was still using 1.8, and the was the best BIOS IMO for the Neo2.

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
I'm using the 1.C modded BIOS from sideeffect. I haven't even started tweaking the memory timings yet - just running at SPD timings with 100 divider so it doesn't hold me back.

I've tried higher voltage. I'm a little skeptical of what it's actually getting, but I've put it all the way to 1.5V with no change.

BTW, now running 315x8=2.52GHz. Looks like I might have to be happy with that until I feel like dropping the money for a new mobo and video card (and probably a new cooler, too).

BOLt

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Avalon
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I've rarely heard of anyone trying to run these on Neo Plats, though, so I'm not sure if maybe your board might have issues with them, or if everyone else has been running with Optys in those boards just fine.

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
Anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe a workaround until I'm ready to drop $300 or so on a new mobo and graphics?

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I also using the same board, With the 1.9 Bios. my max bootable HTT is also around 260. Anything higher than that and no boot. regarless of memory timings and other settings. I believe its the limit of the board with this bios. I've haven't tried the 1.B or any of the modded bios's yet.

It currently has me at 260x10 on my 146 Opteron @ stock voltage. Pretty sure if I can break that 260htt limit i'll easily be able to get his chip to 2.8 or 3Ghz.

Specs

Mogadon

Aug 30, 2004
I'll second trying the 1.8 BIOS, it's widely regarded as the best BIOS for overclocking, the later BIOSs are generally only needed for X2. That board is pretty decent for overclocking, think Duvie got his HTT upto 330 or so.

Here's a thread to help overclocking with the NEO2.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
hey I just updated to the 1.B Sideeffect Version.

now i'm doing 2.8ghz 280x10 with a 150 Memory divider, which I didn't have available with the stock bios.
set Voltage to 1.4 Think I can just leave Voltage set to default will try after this run. And to my suprise, it booted right into windows, without an issue.

Now running SP2004 and 11 mins no errors.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It's probably not the chip or the cooler. I run the same exact stepping on an A8N-Premium with the same cooler and can run @ 285x9. I eventually will experiment with lower multipliers at higher HTTs (been just testing with x9), but it's extremely stable at 285 (ran blend and small fft prime for days, no lockups or crashes. Unlike @ 290). I did have to set my voltage to 1.535 though. Under load it goes at most to 47, and idle is around 32.

5t3v0

Dec 22, 2005
I have the 144 CABNE which should also do a bit better than I can achieve. I've had to give it 1.55v to get 2.5GHz. Increasing the vcore does get higher results (1.65v gets 2.6GHz) but its not worth the risk running at higher voltage for minimal increases. I've wondered if my wall is due to the undervolting under cpu load which can be as much as 0.03v. Sometimes though you've just got to accept that not all cpus are created equal. 2.5Ghz is still a 39% overclock which isnt too shabby at all. I would stick with that, especially if you're upgrading in the near future anyway. I must try experimenting with the multiplier to see if that helps.

RHITee05

Nov 2, 2005
Wow, thanks for the 1.8 BIOS suggestion. Flashed it and now I'm at 300x9 for 2.7 GHz at 1.45V. Haven't thoroughly tested, but seems to be Prime95 and Super-Pi stable. My load temps are a little high at 57, but not too bad. My memory is doing pretty well with the 166 divider, running CAS 3 at 245 MHz too. I'll let it Prime overnight to see how stable this really is.

My next step is to upgrade the cooler to bring my temps down and see if I can push it even a little further. Does anyone know if an XP-120 will fit on the Neo2 Platinum? I know Thermalright's website says it won't due to the capacitors, but I was wondering if anyone could prove/disprove from actual experience. If not, I'll probably go with the XP-90. Sounds like a solid cooler at a very reasonable price.

One weird thing with this 1.8 BIOS, though. Where the F*** is the 1T/2T memory setting (Shift-F2, Alt-F3 doesn't help)????