Question Trouble w/ SLI... Hardware or OS?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
DISCLAIMER: I understand that SLI support, as a whole, is awful, however what I am doing should work in theory--so I wanted to post it up anyway, for "kicks" if you will.

SPEC:

Intel 4690K
Gigabyte G1-SNIPER-5 (Z87)
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-2400
Corsair TX1000 PSU

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (fully patched)

Anyway, in trying to a double up my GPU (GTX 970) I appear to have broken something. First, I did the lazy thing and just added the second GPU--figuring eh if it works great. It actually did, and SLI option got enabled automatically, but then the system blue screened on me when I attempted to restart. So, disconnected one card and booted in safe mode, uninstalled drivers via Add/Remove programs, and then ran DDU to clean up yada yada yada. Then, shut down.

Connected the second card again and proceeded to boot Windows 10 normally and install the latest WHQL drivers off of the NV site. The installation seemed to go well, but then something odd happened. The system wouldn't reboot, so I had to help it along. After it came back online, no SLI option and one GPU was flagged in device manager as having issues (code 43 maybe)? So, that's sort of where I'm at now.

Now, I should mention that these cards aren't identical. One is a NVIDIA reference and the other is a MSI GamingX (with likely higher clocks). I've done this before with a pair of EVGA GTX 980's, which worked fine, so I feel that this shouldn't be too much different.

Thoughts? I'll probably just end up using my single GTX 1080 in this machine instead anyway, but that seems overkill for 1080P gaming @ 60hz.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Is the SLI bridge connected? Also, I would just use the 1080, that sounds like a good balanced card for that setup. 3.5GB of memory is a problem IMO for GTX 970 SLI.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Actually... i have dual SLI bridges I wonder if that's part of the problem. I don't typically ever use multi-gpu setups so I don't recall the requirements.

I will likely end up using the GTX 1080 but figured it would be an interesting test, performance wise. It's an older board so I'm not banking on it working that well. The 1080 is a AIO model so I'll need to replace my current 140mm rear fan--but that's a very minute setback.